I completely stand by my call that today's pitch was not a road. There were many reasons why Australia produced such an amazing scoring rate over the course of the day.
South Africa's tale of woe
- Philander out for Kleinveldt, obviously a worse bowler came in and the balance and rotation of the attack changed.
- Kallis who was on fire getting injured
- Steyn and Morkel tried too hard - they knew they were the only serious wicket taking options.
- Steyn's injury and Smith's reluctance to bowl him more often through lunch and tea.
- Short boundaries and fast outfield helped the scoring rate, but its not anything to do with the pitch.
- Tahir's inability to last an over (and I'm being kind going out to an over) without bowling a complete half tracker.
- No one apart from Kallis who bowled just the 3.3 overs bowled well.
- South Africa didn't pitch it up enough, all 5 wickets were from full balls.
Here's some music
- Australia's three most attacking batsman hit centuries - If Cowan made a ton, it would have been a different sort of day.
- Clarke is obviously just in sensational form and his ability to find the gaps was brilliant.
I'm not going to suggest that the pitch wasn't a good pitch to bat on, but it wasn't a road, we just witnessed a terrific batting display on quite a small field by attack minded batsman against a weakened bowling unit short on confidence.