• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Bowden should stand down for a game, that's ****ing laughable. Faf was asking for a review whilst jogging through for a single. :laugh:

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
"du Plessis was in fact asking for a review even as he kept on running, so confident he was"

Faf what a man

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
It used to be that umpires would allow a couple of close calls go, but if you kept relentlessly padding away they would eventually give it, just to make people use their bat.

Interesting dicussion on what pitching in line means, I had never really thought it through before but the review is going make every grey area have to be defined much more precisely.

Maybe the rule should be closer to the hitting the wicket rule.
If it is given, then no part of ball must be in line for it to be overturned.
If not given, then the majority of the ball in line for the not out to be overturned.
Given the umpire some impact as to how much padding away is reasonable.

I get the need to defend, and even kick away bowling a long way from the wickets but not so keen when the ball is fairly close to the stumps and the batsman is relentlessly padding away.

Spark

Global Moderator
It used to be that umpires would allow a couple of close calls go, but if you kept relentlessly padding away they would eventually give it, just to make people use their bat.

Interesting dicussion on what pitching in line means, I had never really thought it through before but the review is going make every grey area have to be defined much more precisely.

Maybe the rule should be closer to the hitting the wicket rule.
If it is given, then no part of ball must be in line for it to be overturned.
If not given, then the majority of the ball in line for the not out to be overturned.
Given the umpire some impact as to how much padding away is reasonable.

I get the need to defend, and even kick away bowling a long way from the wickets but not so keen when the ball is fairly close to the stumps and the batsman is relentlessly padding away.
The reason we have umpire's call on the hitting the pad/stumps question is because it's ambiguous. We don't know exactly where it happens.

We know exactly where the ball pitches - there's no need for ambiguity there.

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
The reason we have umpire's call on the hitting the pad/stumps question is because it's ambiguous. We don't know exactly where it happens.

We know exactly where the ball pitches - there's no need for ambiguity there.
They are both computer generated estimates of where the ball is, unless they place a tracking chip inside the ball.

Still think the unpire should be able to have some leeway to punish pointless padding away. It is batting not padding.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Discussion on Grandstand as to when Australia would be concerned.

Thoughts? And when would Australian fans be concerned?

I'd say not until half way through session 2.