• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

uvelocity

International Coach
they are all pretty close together, whoever holds the actual ranking doesn't mean much bar bragging rights imo

Briony

International Debutant
they are all pretty close together, whoever holds the actual ranking doesn't mean much bar bragging rights imo
Yes there are teams vying for the top ranking but surely India doesn't deserve to be talked about in the same breath as SA, England and oz given their recent performances, though many say there are a big four.

SA has been strangely listless though. They looked a better team on paper for this series than their last tour but performed better then when they seemed more single-minded and prepared.

Mickey Arthur?

uvelocity

International Coach
I'd have a top 3 and a second 3

aus, sa, eng

ind, sl, wi

but India are underperforming and predominantly due to attitude at the top

Ruckus

International Captain
SA is still a clear first for me. The main problem for them this time around has been their two strike bowlers. Steyn and Philander haven't been at their best in this series, with the latter obviously injured for this test. And when their not firing weaknesses in their attack, like Tahir, are more detrimental.

Spark

Global Moderator
That's always been their weakness though. It's not like it's surprised anyone that they've struggled when Steyn has been a little below par (which was always on the cards, to be frank, given how many left handers we have and one of our two right handers has always played him OK)

Ruckus

International Captain
That's always been their weakness though. It's not like it's surprised anyone that they've struggled when Steyn has been a little below par (which was always on the cards, to be frank, given how many left handers we have and one of our two right handers has always played him OK)
It used to just be Steyn though. It's only recently he has had Philander to share the load. And yeah you will get periods when both bowlers aren't at their best, but that will obviously be a more rare occurrence than when Steyn was the lone wolf.

Spark

Global Moderator
Morkel's been good though. I mean, the pacers have bowled pretty well in patches, mostly at the top order, but they just happen to run into two world class batsmen every time, one of whom is in really good form and one who is in obscene form.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It used to just be Steyn though. It's only recently he has had Philander to share the load. And yeah you will get periods when both bowlers aren't at their best, but that will obviously be a more rare occurrence than when Steyn was the lone wolf.
Philander is not a 19-22 average bowler though. He was always going to come back to earth at some stage, relatively speaking.

I'm not saying he's a dud at all, but lets be honest, a 25 or less career average for a bowler of his height, pace and skill set is miles too low.

flibbertyjibber

Philander is not a 19-22 average bowler though. He was always going to come back to earth at some stage, relatively speaking.

I'm not saying he's a dud at all, but lets be honest, a 25 or less career average for a bowler of his height, pace and skill set is miles too low.
Careful, I said that in a harsher way and got pelters for it.

Ruckus

International Captain
I don't see him as a 19-22 average bowler, but I do see him as a <25 one. I don't really read much into his performance in the first test tbh. Every single bowler struggled to get anything out of the pitch after the new ball (maybe bar Pattinson for a spell or two), and I reckon his form was actually a bit off as well in that match. Pace etc. aside, I think his consistency, which his obviously his forte, was a little off. And that's unusual for him, but hey these things happen.

Burgey

I'm not slagging the bloke, just saying he will get worked out a little as he goes along, like everyone does. He's a good bowler for sure, just not the next McGrath, let alone the next SF Barnes.