• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
maxwell is a x-factor and x-factor gets more points than looking good in the nets

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
He's a batting all-rounder. Want change-ups? Throw it to Hussey. Want an extra bat? Pick David Hussey.

No full-time part-timer will blemish any Test team of mine.

Justo

U19 Debutant
Maxwell has a poor 50-100 conversion rate as well so it's a like for like replacement with Watson.

flibbertyjibber

Be a huge blow to Australia if Watson is out. Not only will they need a rethink on the make up of the side regarding a 5th bowling option they will need a new number 3 or the replacement has to bat there instead of moving Clarke, Ponting or Hussey.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Be a huge blow to Australia if Watson is out. Not only will they need a rethink on the make up of the side regarding a 5th bowling option they will need a new number 3 or the replacement has to bat there instead of moving Clarke, Ponting or Hussey.
Not really inclined to GAF over a fifth bowling option at the moment; I'd happily have that problem instead of living in fear of the next batting collapse. Especially at the Gabba and Perth.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If Watson doesn't play or even if he's not 100% fit to bowl then Starc should play ahead of Lyon in Brisbane IMO.

flibbertyjibber

Not really inclined to GAF over a fifth bowling option at the moment; I'd happily have that problem instead of living in fear of the next batting collapse. Especially at the Gabba and Perth.
I know but will give the selectors a big headache at the selection meeting. Personally i'd go for a bat as I hate bits and pieces all rounders in tests (looks like we will use Patel in India:() and would always rather go with a 6th bat than a makeshift one who may come off.

As an outsider i'd go Khawaja, just think he will end up a good test player despite a shaky start so far.

Spikey

nah still lousy on the front foot. his recent innings was probably the worst innings he could have paid in terms of putting his name up. he made 50 odd off 130 odd balls, which looks alright. but he hit 10 fours. so it was 14 runs off 120 odd balls. that doesn't look so good. the bowlers (it was mostly copeland, for a reason I'll get to) just kept it full-ish around off and waited and waited. credit to him for lasting so long, but he batted for 90 odd minutes this morning without scoring a single. got some fours and the very odd 2 every now and then by pulling and glancing to mid-wicket, but i very much doubt the selectors would have liked the innings. i'm less hopeful about him now than I was before the innings.

Last edited:

Spikey

although i should note joe burns suffered the same problem for most of the morning so maybe they just couldn't be bothered taking singles. (or burns has the same problem)

Spikey

i missed parts of the innings, but i think there was 2-3 close lbw shouts and a couple of edges that were safe enough.

The funny thing is I wouldn't class it as ugly runs. I mean, the runs he did score were gorgeous! It was just the trench he got himself into. Made all the worse by the fact when Copeland started his next spell, Usman was out and a new batsman was in, and he got a ball that Usman got plenty of times, and this batsman got forward, and tapped it to cover for a single. It sorta rubbed it in.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Almost think its time for a batting pecking order thread and potentially a batting pecker order to boot.

I'm a Khawaja and Bailey supporter however neither have done anything amazing to start this domestic season.

In saying that I would still opt for Khawaja or Quiney to bat in the top 3 if Watson was ruled out. How's Ponting, is he almost certain to play?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Almost think its time for a batting pecking order thread and potentially a batting pecker order to boot.

I'm a Khawaja and Bailey supporter however neither have done anything amazing to start this domestic season.

In saying that I would still opt for Khawaja or Quiney to bat in the top 3 if Watson was ruled out. How's Ponting, is he almost certain to play?
If Watson is out, Maxwell at 7. Ponting to 3, Muss to 4, Wade to 6
If Ponting is out, Quiney or Khawaja at 3.
If Clarke/Huss are out, Bailey/Smith at 5/6
If Warner/Cowan are out, Quiney/Hughes in.

****, you realise the cupboard is bare when Steven Smith is a legitimate top 6 option if the incumbents fall over. Only Burns and Doolan have any serious form behind them (in addition to the guys mentioned above). And Glenn Maxwell is looking at Test selection. Inver-darling or not, he shouldn't really be near the side. It doesn't help that everyone in the country spontaneously forgot how to bat while Smith, Maxwell and even Paine made decent contributions against RSA.

Actually, now that I think about it, Andrew McDonald as a swap for Watson would be a better option. Chuck him in at 7.

So in terms of a pecking order for possible Top 6 players:

1. Quiney (1,2,3)
2. Bailey (4,5,6)
3. Khawaja (4, 5, 6)
4. Smith (4,5,6)
5. Hughes (1,2)
6. McDonald (3,4,5,6)
7. Maxwell (3)
8. Doolan (4,5,6)
9. Burns (4,5,6)

Brackets are the injured incumbents they could hypothetically replace. I'm guessing I forgot someone incredibly obvious in there, however.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Watson is out, Maxwell at 7. Ponting to 3, Muss to 4, Wade to 6
If Ponting is out, Quiney or Khawaja at 3.
If Clarke/Huss are out, Bailey/Smith at 5/6
If Warner/Cowan are out, Quiney/Hughes in.

****, you realise the cupboard is bare when Steven Smith is a legitimate top 6 option if the incumbents fall over. Only Burns and Doolan have any serious form behind them (in addition to the guys mentioned above). And Glenn Maxwell is looking at Test selection. Inver-darling or not, he shouldn't really be near the side. It doesn't help that everyone in the country spontaneously forgot how to bat while Smith, Maxwell and even Paine made decent contributions against RSA.

Actually, now that I think about it, Andrew McDonald as a swap for Watson would be a better option. Chuck him in at 7.

So in terms of a pecking order for possible Top 6 players:

1. Quiney (1,2,3)
2. Bailey (4,5,6)
3. Khawaja (4, 5, 6)
4. Smith (4,5,6)
5. Hughes (1,2)
6. McDonald (3,4,5,6)
7. Maxwell (3)
8. Doolan (4,5,6)
9. Burns (4,5,6)

Brackets are the injured incumbents they could hypothetically replace. I'm guessing I forgot someone incredibly obvious in there, however.
Wouldn't rule out Dussey. If they're looking for a bloke that they know is only going to play out the series until someone comes back from injury, I wouldn't be surprised if they did go with him since there's no real obligation to keep picking him once the series is over, even if he does do well. Hasn't been scoring runs in the Shield but made an OD century the other day, and he can bowl a few offies which always gets the selectors hard.

Spark

Global Moderator
Reading that list just reminds how desperately we need at least two if not all three of The Big Three to fire.

Pessimistic tstl.

Spikey

everytime we start saying "hey what about dussey" the arsehole follows it up with a pathetic dismissal to a short ball in his next innings.

aussie tragic

International Captain
If Ponting and Watson are injured, the least disruptive selections for the batting order would be Hughes/Khawaja at #3 and Bailey at #4, however their form this season is not great, especially when added to Cowans (150 runs @ 21.42)

Hughes 239 runs @ 34.14
Khawaja 238 runs @ 34.00
Bailey 71 runs @ 23.66

Based on this form, I'd only pick one of the above (Khawaja as the best #3) and I'd pick Maxwell for Watson so that we could go with a 4 man pace attack.

Last edited:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Hard to say that Doolan isnt worth a punt, the guy is in awesome form, his innings vs South Afruca was cool and clam, looks really at ease at the crease. Steyn bounced him a bit, Doolan looked totally comfortable. You make an unbeaten 150 odd against a touring side who is #1 in the world, you get shot up the queue.