• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If Hilditch was around Xavier Doherty would be in the first Test due to his good spell against South Africa in the T20 World Cup. Thank **** he's no longer.

Pattinson must play, it annoys me a bit that the media are grouping the bowlers into young vs experienced. For me Pattinson is pretty much a finished product while Cummins has a fair few question marks despite an unbelievable Test debut.

Reckon barring injury - 1. Cowan 2. Warner 3. Watson 4. Ponting 5. Clarke 6. Hussey 7 Wade. 8. Siddle 9. Pattinson 10. Hilfenhaus 11. Lyon 12. Starc is paying about $1.09 with the bookies for our First Test squad.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Putting everything I have on CA picking Wade over Haddin, who then retires, and then a CA hired goon taking out Wade, ensuring Paine is back where he belongs

SeamUp

International Coach
@Nufan & @Chaminda

Fair enough. Agree with Chaminda, it would spoil the purpose if the internationals don't play in the Shield then.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It would be absolute madness if some of the Australian batsman in particular don't play for their states. NSW are playing QLD in Brisbane (where the first Test is being played) so you would think it would be an ideal opportunity for Watson and Warner in particular to get some practice with the red ball against a pretty decent QLD attack.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
It would be absolute madness if some of the Australian batsman in particular don't play for their states. NSW are playing QLD in Brisbane (where the first Test is being played) so you would think it would be an ideal opportunity for Watson and Warner in particular to get some practice with the red ball against a pretty decent QLD attack.
Considering Clarke being rested for this match due to his hectic schedule of grade cricket and two FC games this season. I would be surprised if others aren't also rested.

Madness yes, that seems to be the policy of CA. If aren't playing they can't get injured.

This tactic has worked brilliantly for Sri Lanka with Dilhara Fernando and Lasith Malinga. This tactic turned them into the Test workhorses they are today. ;)

Can't remember they last time either of those two players played FC cricket before an International series. This was before Malinga's Test retirement BTW.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
Hughes needs more time, plus Cowan should stay for now imo. Unless it's for a really good reason (like Marsh's obvious downfall), we can't just keep dropping players after 5 or 6 matches. It's a bit ridiculous. The fact is Cowan hasn't been great by any means, but he has shown some potential and doesn't deserve to be dropped yet. It sounds as though Hughes hasn't really corrected his old problems, so if he can't handle Chris Martin, then I think he could get pretty owned by a metronome like Philander. If Cowan continues to fail, then I'd think about giving Khawaja another go, or maybe someone like Cosgrove (fat chance of that though). On bowling, it's pretty simple if it's 3 pace bowlers...has to be Siddle, Hilf, Pattinson. If 4 then it's more up in the air. I'd personally go Cummins before Starc, but wouldn't really mind either way if Starc has allegedly improved so much.

uvelocity

International Coach
yeah cowans should stay, he did his best, nothing terrible.

If you were a ruthless leader though, he's done nothing at all since he did very little in a baggy green. Send Huss up the order and get hughes in at 6. I know it won't happen, but I just know it would work.

Ruckus

International Captain
He had a pretty decent time in county didn't he? Or maybe just the Aus A games afterwards, I can't find his stats. Hasn't started shield that well though, but none of it really means much given it's such a small amount of matches.

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
just went looking, only played 3 matches, scored 1 ton, and I forgot about the 50's for aus a (which aren't much of a deal really are they?)

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Where the **** is Ryan Harris?

Edit : Shoulder surgery, hoping to play club cricket by the end of the month

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"Hughesy, for whatever reason his game is scrutinised more than any other cricketer in the country. On the flipside, he scratches out 20 and everyone wants him back in the team again.
cowan otm

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
If Starc plays I hope they don't leave Patto out, much as Hilf and Siddle have bowled well the past year. Can't see four quicks playing, because that would make five with Watson, a ridiculous over-reach you'd think.
Replace Watson with Steve Smith and the issue is sorted.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Inverarity insists that keepers spot still up for grabs.

Names Lyon and Holland as the two best spinners in their eyes.

Australia A game won't have a bearing on Test squad, which will be named before the Aus A game is played.