• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
it's pretty odd given smith's conversion rate is basically the one good thing about his batting. it's 4 50's in a row now i think. if he doesn't have that, he's nothing but a ferret face

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Hoping Rory gets a gig at the Gabba. Type of bowler who gets cheap wickets but does swing the ball both ways and can take out cack handers. If Warner and Cowan is the opening combo, then he and Pro wouldn’t be so bad and you can leave Steyn for the right handers and Hussey to be worked over by Morne. Playing Tahir just means Aus score 1 run an over quicker than they would if he Tahir didn’t play and the Aus tail can all hold a bat and won’t be clueless or liable to be rolled over cheaply by a leggie. Guys like Starc will just mow him into the stands.

Last edited:

LegendaryProtea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Fairly sure the batsman nicked that and was walking off before the umpire gave him not out and he continues batting. Weird.

LegendaryProtea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Playing Tahir just means Aus score 1 run an over quicker than they would if he Tahir didn’t play and the Aus tail can all hold a bat and won’t be clueless or liable to be rolled over cheaply by a leggie.
Yeah, Tahir's main and only strength is that he can bowl a good googly which can wrap up innings fairly quickly against a weakish tail. Given that we have Steyn and Morkel, I don't see any point in playing a frontline spinner just for the purpose of removing the tail and picking up 2/90 at over 4 an over. If they want the option to have more spin then play Faf instead of Rudolph. Rudolph has had his chances and blown them.

Eloquentia

U19 12th Man
Yeah, Tahir's main and only strength is that he can bowl a good googly which can wrap up innings fairly quickly against a weakish tail. Given that we have Steyn and Morkel, I don't see any point in playing a frontline spinner just for the purpose of removing the tail and picking up 2/90 at over 4 an over. If they want the option to have more spin then play Faf instead of Rudolph. Rudolph has had his chances and blown them.
You're proposing playing Faf ahead of Rudolph on the grounds of his Leggies yet failing to even note that Rudolph bowls very handy ones himself. I'm sure if they wanted that part time option they'd have used Rudolph more frequently for a few overs - or even Smith (ugh)

And yeah - Maxwell playing some incredibly streaky cricket. I really hope if Lyon goes down Maxwell isn't picked. Clarke and even Warner are probably more useful spinners.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You're proposing playing Faf ahead of Rudolph on the grounds of his Leggies yet failing to even note that Rudolph bowls very handy ones himself. I'm sure if they wanted that part time option they'd have used Rudolph more frequently for a few overs - or even Smith (ugh)
Duminy is the best bowler of their batsman-spinners IMO; Faf probably the most likely to do something worthwhile with the ball in this country though. Rudolph and Smith have basically given up part-time bowling, regardless of who they're playing for at the time.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i think every single maxwell innings has been described as streaky. one of these days i should watch him

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
And that's all that really matters in the end of the day.

Health.comdotau 4 LYF.

Spark

Global Moderator
This is becoming sort of routine, isn't it? Media goes into a fit before big Test series.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Aussie form :(

Cowan - 6
Warner - 2
Watson - 33
Ponting - 5
Clarke - 8
Hussey - 65, 3
Wade - 8
Siddle - 5
Starc - 3
Pattinson - 18
Hilfenhaus - 0*
Lyon - 8

Pattinson - 2-56, 2-19*
Siddle - 2-53, 0-13*
Hilfenhaus - 2-25, 1-80*
Starc - 0-11*
Watson - 0-0*
Lyon - DNB,

Edit: at least they're getting all of their bad scores out of the way before the series starts ;)

Last edited: