• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sad sack thing about this is probably that the mere fact pretty much everyone else in this thread is against sPEWS is probably only strengthening his view that everyone else is wrong.

Spark

Global Moderator
Amazing day of Test cricket is a little easier to stomach IMO - even though we're used to it now, recovering from 3/50 to 5/480 is pretty nuts, even if the pitch was a road and bowlers dropped like flies. Even with the pitch handing you runs on a silver platter, the ability of Clarke to absorb the pressure in situations and get Australia out of a hole is pretty special. I personally wouldn't consider it a 'great' day of cricket, but making 5/480 isn't an everyday occurrence, even on strips of highway.

Not to mention the advent of T20 makes runfests totally lovable in the eyes of many.

I reckon the SSC-style criticism isn't being leveled here because of the scoring rate - when Sanga and Jaya made their 624 partnership (whatever the ground was), they made it at a touch under 4 an over. That's pretty much a par run-rate these days; it isn't anything extraordinary. Warner and Clarke taking South Africa for over 7rpo in a session is far further from the mean. As Spark said above, on rarity alone the enjoyment goes up.

Realistically, a double ton requires a hell of a lot of skill and concentration to make, regardless of the pitch. The more I think about it, the less inclined I am to rubbish Sangakkara and Jayawardene if they make big scores on the SSC. Obviously things shift somewhat on an ATG XI basis, given you have to look for small things to differentiate some damn good players, but I don't think anyone will deny Sangakkara is a modern great of the game because he's made runs on easy wickets. Those innings won't be rated as highly as the 192 I mentioned before, just like this knock will pale in comparison to that 150-odd Clarke made in South Africa.
Hell, a 624 partnership is pretty ****ing extraordinary. But you don't see them all that often.

When I think of the SSC, I think 2/250 in a day and I think sleep as yet another half-volley is mistimed to short cover.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bull****. We're giving credit where due. You're not the font of cricketing purity.
Unlike my previous posts on the matter I wasn't trying to present an "I'm right and all you ****s are wrong" type argument with that one; I was acknowledging that we'd reached an ideological impasse that I often find myself reaching on this forum. Everyone caring more about something than me doesn't necessarily mean I'm right on the matter; it's just a stalemate I've reached before.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hell, a 624 partnership is pretty ****ing extraordinary. But you don't see them all that often.

When I think of the SSC, I think 2/250 in a day and I think sleep as yet another half-volley is mistimed to short cover.
See, I find fast scoring with little possibility of the bowler beating the batsman just as boring as slow scoring with little possibility of the bowler beating the batsman. And that has nothing to do with analysis really; it's just a personal preference thing.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
See, I find fast scoring with little possibility of the bowler beating the batsman just as boring as slow scoring with little possibility of the bowler beating the batsman. And that has nothing to do with analysis really; it's just a personal preference thing.
Part of the challenge in those conditions for a bowler is to bowl as well as possible. If you lose it because it's not seaming around as much as you'd like then it's not entirely the fault of the pitch. Kallis showed what was possible if you got it in the right areas and did a little bit with it. The problem SA had today was Kallis got injured and they had to rely on a bloke like Morkel.

Personally thought it was a great effort with the bat as it's easy to survive on a flat wicket, but you have to be batting reasonably well to tear the opposition a new arsehole. Especially when they're supposed to be the best attack in the world.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't get why people don't like watching ODIs in India then. Short boundaries, big sixes, lots of fours, 400+ totals.

Spark

Global Moderator
Don't get why people don't like watching ODIs in India then. Short boundaries, big sixes, lots of fours, 400+ totals.
Part of the issue. Note that we're assuming this pitch will break up Day 3/4/5. If it continues to be roady the whole way through and we don't even come close to a result, then yeah, that's just ****ty.