• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah lots of people have been going on about what an amazing knock/day of Test cricket this has been. I brought up Sangakkara and Jayawardene myself because I'm sure no-one would go into the India in Sri Lanka thread saying that sort of stuff after one of them knocked up a double ton at the SSC. The vast majority of posts in there would be about how dead the pitch was and how bad for cricket it is, yet here we've got the same thing and it's all praise.

Personal thing really but I find cricket on a wicket like this absolutely terrible to watch frankly and I get frustrated by the double standards that are applied to the Adelaide Oval by the Australian public.
The only people who hasn't acknowledged the roadness of this pitch has been NUFAN afaik.

You're just making up things. If Sri Lanka make almost 500 in a day of test cricket I'm sure everyone will acknowledge it's been an extraordinary day of test cricket.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
we praised them for the 600 odd stand iirc

and yeah a couple called out the pitch. we were calling out the pitch on the first hour. and then some quite amazing performances happened.
A world class batsman scored a double ton on a complete road against a depleted bowling attack. Never saw it coming!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The only people who hasn't acknowledged the roadness of this pitch has been NUFAN afaik.

You're just making up things. If Sri Lanka make almost 500 in a day of test cricket I'm sure everyone will acknowledge it's been an extraordinary day of test cricket.
I guess this is one of those "everyone cares a lot more about scoring rates than I do" moments then.

Spark

Global Moderator
We're not praising just the fact he scored a double ton though. We're praising the fact that he basically squeezed four and a half sessions' worth of batting into three (or two and a half if you want to be nitpicky).

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean, this **** is what people remember. They don't remember that Gilchrist's crazy-fast ton came against basically a joke team who had been beaten to a pulp, on the verge of losing a series, on a road where half the top order had tonned up/come close to.

They just remember him sending the ball into the stands. Again. And again. And again.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
no it wasn't he's on the ****ing ground. Abul only touches the ground after he's hit a 100

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I mean, this **** is what people remember. They don't remember that Gilchrist's crazy-fast ton came against basically a joke team who had been beaten to a pulp, on the verge of losing a series, on a road where half the top order had tonned up/come close to.

They just remember him sending the ball into the stands. Again. And again. And again.
Yes and that's exactly the sort of **** that pisses me off :laugh:

uvelocity

International Coach
somebody kill pews

it's roady but you still have to score the runs. clarke could have been out about 4 or 5 times before passing 50

and you don't judge a deck before both teams have batted on it.

aus 600 saf 300 aus 200 saf 300 day to spare

Spark

Global Moderator
Deal with it. Cricket is entertainment. I don't expect cricket to go exactly the way it should re: bat and ball balance, I expect to be entertained. If cold, hard brutal comparative analysis gets in the way of me having a good time, then out the window it goes.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean, last year when we were like 3/330 after Day 1 I was the one saying "hold on, guys, this is ****ing Adelaide, where 450 is a par score". But 5/482 is a little different.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Nah lots of people have been going on about what an amazing knock/day of Test cricket this has been. I brought up Sangakkara and Jayawardene myself because I'm sure no-one would go into the India in Sri Lanka thread saying that sort of stuff after one of them knocked up a double ton at the SSC. The vast majority of posts in there would be about how dead the pitch was and how bad for cricket it is, yet here we've got the same thing and it's all praise.

Personal thing really but I find cricket on a wicket like this absolutely terrible to watch frankly and I get frustrated by the double standards that are applied to by the Australian public.
Amazing day of Test cricket is a little easier to stomach IMO - even though we're used to it now, recovering from 3/50 to 5/480 is pretty nuts, even if the pitch was a road and bowlers dropped like flies. Even with the pitch handing you runs on a silver platter, the ability of Clarke to absorb the pressure in situations and get Australia out of a hole is pretty special. I personally wouldn't consider it a day of 'great' cricket, but making 5/480 isn't an everyday occurrence, even on strips of highway.

Not to mention the advent of T20 makes runfests totally lovable in the eyes of many.

I reckon the SSC-style criticism isn't being leveled here because of the scoring rate - when Sanga and Jaya made their 624 partnership (whatever the ground was), they made it at a touch under 4 an over. That's pretty much a par run-rate these days; it isn't anything extraordinary. Warner and Clarke taking South Africa for over 7rpo in a session is far further from the mean. As Spark said above, on rarity alone the enjoyment goes up.

Realistically, a double ton requires a hell of a lot of skill and concentration to make, regardless of the pitch. The more I think about it, the less inclined I am to rubbish Sangakkara and Jayawardene if they make big scores on the SSC. Obviously things shift somewhat on an ATG XI basis, given you have to look for small things to differentiate some damn good players, but I don't think anyone will deny Sangakkara is a modern great of the game because he's made runs on easy wickets. Those innings won't be rated as highly as the 192 I mentioned before, just like this knock will pale in comparison to that 150-odd Clarke made in South Africa.

Last edited: