• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

Spark

Global Moderator
Because because because because because.

===

Fri Nov 2 - Sun Nov 4
00:00 GMT | 11:00 local
Australia A v South Africans
Sydney Cricket Ground

Fri Nov 9 - Tue Nov 13
00:00 GMT | 10:00 local
1st Test - Australia v South Africa
Brisbane Cricket Ground, Woolloongabba, Brisbane

Thu Nov 22 - Mon Nov 26
00:00 GMT | 10:30 local
2nd Test - Australia v South Africa
Adelaide Oval

Fri Nov 30 - Tue Dec 4
02:30 GMT | 10:30 local
3rd Test - Australia v South Africa
Western Australia Cricket Association Ground, Perth

Short tour is short.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Id be pretty disappointed if he didn't make the squad - that is the Australia A squad for the lead up game.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
aus a will be easy enough for them to pick...

1. cowan
2. nevill
3. bailey
4. christian
5. henriques
6. m. marsh
7. wade
8. lyon
9. cummins
10. starc
11. pattinson

(I'm only half joking)

where do stand on the bowling line-up? i'm pretty sure they'll pick lyon in the aus a game and if he doesn't impress, 4 seamers could be on. but otherwise i expect it'll be siddle/hilf/patto

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, I'd go with Hilf/Siddle/Patto

Give Starc, Lyon and perhaps Cummins a go in the Aus A game. Cummins definitely doesn't play enough FC cricket IMO.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
All 6 states play Shield matches starting Nov 1 or Nov 2, so I expect a few surprise inclusions in the A team to ensure no state side is completely screwed through missing players.

SeamUp

International Coach
All 6 states play Shield matches starting Nov 1 or Nov 2, so I expect a few surprise inclusions in the A team to ensure no state side is completely screwed through missing players.
The domestic scheduling hasn't been great then surely? If its the 'A' team they should have ensured there were no Shield games on to actually get the 'A' side out.

Joe Mennie missing out on some crucial red-ball cricket for South Australia being at the Champions League as well.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Think Australia have to fit Starc in personally. Yeah, he's only done it at T20/ODI level, but the way he's bowling he'd take poles in the longer format no doubt - especially that the majority of the Saffie top order are RHB with Starc's strength being bringing the ball back in.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The domestic scheduling hasn't been great then surely? If its the 'A' team they should have ensured there were no Shield games on to actually get the 'A' side out.

Joe Mennie missing out on some crucial red-ball cricket for South Australia being at the Champions League as well.
Reckon you are basing your decision from a South African POV.

Watson, Warner, Hussey, Clarke, Hilfenhaus, Starc could all do with the state game leading up to the Test match.

The A team will still be competitive.

Burgey

If Starc plays I hope they don't leave Patto out, much as Hilf and Siddle have bowled well the past year. Can't see four quicks playing, because that would make five with Watson, a ridiculous over-reach you'd think.

Spikey

They might not Watson to bowl though

Agree that Starc playing has obvious benefits for Lyon that are well worth considering

uvelocity

International Coach
clarkeh aint playing that shield game n00fan, not sure about the others

I have no idea which way they will go with the pace, but it's a brilliant problem to have.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
And then we drop Starc when we play England so that Swann doesn't get footmarks to bowl into?

Don't agree with either sentiment, we just pick our four best bowlers. Morne bowls around the wicket enough to generate some footmarks if you're that concerned.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd be really tempted to include Starc anyway but I agree with Jack; picking bowlers for footmark reasons just makes a relatively simple task overly complicated.

The impression I've got from what I've read is that the bowlers will be rotated around anyway. Which of the quicks happen to play in each match will have as much to do with workload management and fitness as it will with any sort of pecking order, so I guess it's lucky that we actually have five or six quality options. If there was a bigger gap between our best three quicks and the next lot, resting Pattinson from a couple of Tests and having someone like McKay in his stead really wouldn't have gone down well with me at all.

Top_Cat

Starc's red-hot and so's Pattinson but Siddle/Hilf/Starc would be my pick at the moment. Starc against the Saffer bats and their big fat front pads will be more than handy at the moment.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Reckon you are basing your decision from a South African POV.

Watson, Warner, Hussey, Clarke, Hilfenhaus, Starc could all do with the state game leading up to the Test match.

The A team will still be competitive.
It seems to be pretty common practice to have all six state sides playing during the A match. Its happened for the last couple years. Basically allows the selectors to have a look at as many players as possible.

Only issue they always end resting the Test players, which defeats the purpose. I remember one season NSW had 3 guys in the A side and then 4 guys rested from the Test side.

Last edited: