• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
this is setting myself up to look stupid, but...

I don't think Morkel will pick up wickets right arm round on a good length. Sure, he's made Warner uncomfortable, but he won't be able to pitch it up enough and he's completely taken LBW out of play. If he was coming over he could pitch it full without fear of missing the line and giving leg stump half volleys. He's fast enough to try and beat the batsman for pace and get LBW and bowled, as well as perhaps get the edge with the natural angle across the left hander.

The only thing he can hope for going round the wicket is to angle it in and hope it straightens and takes the edge, but I think that's asking a bit much of this pitch and he's going to bowl too many loose deliveries searching for that movement.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The delay of the Nine coverage is annoying. I can't enjoy the cricket with Grandstand commentary.

uvelocity

International Coach
this is setting myself up to look stupid, but...

I don't think Morkel will pick up wickets right arm round on a good length. Sure, he's made Warner uncomfortable, but he won't be able to pitch it up enough and he's completely taken LBW out of play. If he was coming over he could pitch it full without fear of missing the line and giving leg stump half volleys. He's fast enough to try and beat the batsman for pace and get LBW and bowled, as well as perhaps get the edge with the natural angle across the left hander.

The only thing he can hope for going round the wicket is to angle it in and hope it straightens and takes the edge, but I think that's asking a bit much of this pitch and he's going to bowl too many loose deliveries searching for that movement.
history tells us that's how he gets out a lot though

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
history tells us that's how he gets out a lot though
On pitches where there's consistently enough movement to angle it in and confidently expect it to straighten half the time.

I'm sure Allan Donald knows what he's doing, it's just this feeling that I have. This pitch requires a bit more thought IMO.