• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Like all my thoughts about that topic, it should be the human umpires job. If he thinks it's a no ball he should call it. No need to change the no ball rule (again). Just call it or don't call it.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Mark Nicholas : Mark Nicholas: Is the no-ball law too exact? | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

I tend to agree..bowlers should be given the benefit of the doubt in this regard. millimetres r now deciding things...

what are others thoughts?
They should do the same as they do in athletics for long jump and tennis. Have electronic measures for the no balls and let technology pick up all no balls. Let the umpire have all their focus at the main end of pitch.

Never understood why they are still relying on umpires to pick up no balls, when technology can pick it up.

It should be exact and not rely on the human eye.

A millimeter over is millimeter, just get behind the line, it is not that hard. Plenty of bowlers have gone their whole career with little no ball issues.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
They should do the same as they do in athletics for long jump and tennis. Have electronic measures for the no balls and let technology pick up all no balls. Let the umpire have all their focus at the main end of pitch.

i wouldn't mind that, at least there'd be consistency.

benchmark00

Never understood why they are still relying on umpires to pick up no balls, when technology can pick it up.

It should be exact and not rely on the human eye.

A millimeter over is millimeter, just get behind the line, it is not that hard. Plenty of bowlers have gone their whole career with little no ball issues.
See, that's the point. How do you know?

Professional sport is entertainment, going back and checking on no balls after the celebration takes away my viewing enjoyment, it's just annoying. Can't be that hard for the umpire to tell.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Judging from my experience as a blind cricket umpire (about 10 years ago now) it really is easy to tell if someone is bowling a no ball or not.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
It's a tricky issue and I think benchmark has it spot on. Cricket is supposed to be a platform to entertain. Checking for the no-ball removes all the excitement from the wicket.

Clear no-balls should be detected by the umpire; anything else (i.e marginal) I'm happy for the umpire to make the call on the spot.

The current system is too forgiving on umpires. We are working towards the stage whereby a third of all wickets are now checked.

Daemon

Yeah I agree. When no balls are referred it's usually so marginal that it barely gives the bowler any sort of advantage, there's no point being so exact about it.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
See, that's the point. How do you know?

Professional sport is entertainment, going back and checking on no balls after the celebration takes away my viewing enhancement, it's just annoying. Can't be that hard for the umpire to tell.
Well a lot of bowlers used and still do bowl so their toe hits the front line, rather then their heal. Those are bowlers that had little issues with no balls. It really is just a training thing and mental thing for bowlers. You know because in the for the last 10 years, every time a wicket has been taken off a no ball, they replay the no ball 10 times.

I agree that is is annoying as hell when a they check no balls. That is why they should all be done by technology the same way the do for long jumps and tennis. So you know straight away if someone has no balled and the umpire can focus on the key area of pitch.

It is difficult for umpire to pick up no balls with level of accuracy required in the modern game, with the human eye. The issue for modern umpire will always be every decision gets analysed. So if there is opportunity with technology to get decision right, why not use it, if it doesn't slow down the game.

Just to make it clear I don't agree with the current way they are picking up no balls, after the wickets have been taken. It needs to be done as soon as the ball is bowled, like they do in other sports.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'd be similar but say the 3rd umpire takes them in real time, and passes on via the radio. If an umpire is only concentrating on one end of the pitch, it must surely be so much easier a job?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Were they ever disappointed with LBW decisions?
Yeah I remember an instance where a batsman did get pretty annoyed with me giving him out. What can you do though? Just part of the game.

Top bunch of blokes overall, I just did it for the one season though.

benchmark00

Watched a news item about blind cricket today actually. They look strong on the sweep.

I'm a different type of blind after the match ftr.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I'd be similar but say the 3rd umpire takes them in real time, and passes on via the radio. If an umpire is only concentrating on one end of the pitch, it must surely be so much easier a job?
Yeah, I reckon the accuracy on lbws and caught behinds would increase if they just let the umpires focus on one end of pitch.

As a batsmen you prefer knowing a ball is no ball before you played your shot, so you had a chance to play a more attacking shot. It the problem with leaving it just to the 3rd umpire, is that it will always be after the ball is bowled.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
As a batsmen you prefer knowing a ball is no ball before you played your shot, so you had a chance to play a more attacking shot. It the problem with leaving it just to the 3rd umpire, is that it will always be after the ball is bowled.
True, but in reality how many batsmen can change a shot in such a minute timescale?