• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

Ruckus

International Captain
Nah, I just don't think he should get special treatment just because he has a high strike rate. He hasn't proved any more about his short/medium-term value in Tests than, say, Hughes had in 2009 or Clarke had in 2005. Long term, sure, he might be gun, but that doesn't mean we can't drop him if he needs dropping.

He's a young, up-and-coming batsman who's shown promise but is still a bit inconsistent, that's all, and it's hardly rare.
I disagree that he hasn't proved more than Hughes had in 2009. Hughes' success in 2009 was based around his centuries against SA, where he was basically fed a lot deliveries to his off-side strength. His weaknesses weren't exploited well enough. I'm not saying Warner doesn't have any weaknesses by any means, but his centuries have shown he is comparatively a much more complete player than Hughes was. And of course he shouldn't be immune to being dropped, but unless it's for a more alarming period of low scores, the fact he is a more finished product should give him more leeway....especially if the replacement has even less of a reason to be there.

uvelocity

International Coach
was more worried about warner getting worked out by bringing it into him, he'll smash a big one in saussie in a 5th day 4th innings high scoring aussie win

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyway, predictions for next week? Draw the favourite for mine, our middle order absolutely loves Adelaide and I don't see why the Saffer middle order shouldn't be the same. Then again, if a team is going to inexplicably collapse for absolutely no reason at all, it's one of these two...
I'm tipping a tie.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think he'll do OK this summer - remember, SL are touring - but not really looking forward to the India tour from his perspective. I mean, as far as "glaring weaknesses" go...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I actually think the talk of dropping Warner for Quiney might just be a sneaky reminder from the selectors to Warner that he's not indispensable and needs to focus on his game. I don't think there's any real chance of Warner getting dropped at all, but his media comments of late definitely tend to suggest he might be getting a bit big for his boots as such, so a public comment from a selector about him being under pressure might just be designed as a bit of a wake-up call for him.

benchmark00

And if we take Glenn McGrath's career topping innings, he does average 61, better than anyone else in the domestic game.

Ruckus

International Captain
I actually think the talk of dropping Warner for Quiney might just be a sneaky reminder from the selectors to Warner that he's not indispensable and needs to focus on his game. I don't think there's any real chance of Warner getting dropped at all, but his media comments of late definitely tend to suggest he might be getting a bit big for his boots as such, so a public comment from a selector about him being under pressure might just be designed as a bit of a wake-up call for him.
eh, I reckon it's all been over-hyped, if your going off articles like this one: South Africa in Australia 2012-13 : South Africa batsmen easily distracted - Warner | Cricket News | Australia v South Africa | ESPN Cricinfo Warner obviously likes to take a jab at the opposition, but as far as his own game goes he's always seemed very honest about what he needs to improve on etc. It's not like he has been going around saying how he has been unlucky or something...

Bit of a scare for us in the first match. We really need to learn how to finish off teams once we are on top. Wouldn't read too much into it though, bowling attack failed after a eons and the batting was satisfactory. Kudos to Clarke...man's complete class.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Seriously, Cummins is out for the summer? I know I'm very late to this, but that's two years in a row now. I feel we may already have to resign him to the basket of the what ifs?

morgieb

Anyway, predictions for next week? Draw the favourite for mine, our middle order absolutely loves Adelaide and I don't see why the Saffer middle order shouldn't be the same. Then again, if a team is going to inexplicably collapse for absolutely no reason at all, it's one of these two...
Draw, easily.

Top_Cat

Seriously, Cummins is out for the summer? I know I'm very late to this, but that's two years in a row now. I feel we may already have to resign him to the basket of the what ifs?
He's 19 and has been playing two years of top cricket, his body's still adjusting/growing/hardening. Every quick who bowls with pace goes through this on a fairly regular basis so, of course, we'll see how it pans out but it's not unusual.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
You are probably right, but I wouldn't be completely opposed to Warner getting dropped. I am a fan of the guy and no doubt he will play a big part in the future, probably in the middle order once Ponting and Huss retire. But I can't help but think our team would do better to have somebody opening who can consistently score 40 off 100, rather than a quickfire hundred once a year.

Khawaja would have been my pick, but Quiney seems like a good guy to have around. Hoping he can grasp his opportunity in Perth and really make a case for being kept.

Ruckus

International Captain
You are probably right, but I wouldn't be completely opposed to Warner getting dropped. I am a fan of the guy and no doubt he will play a big part in the future, probably in the middle order once Ponting and Huss retire. But I can't help but think our team would do better to have somebody opening who can consistently score 40 off 100, rather than a quickfire hundred once a year.
But Watson did that, and was massively criticized for it. Regardless of whether they score 50's or 100's, what we really need - and this is a pretty revolutionary thought here - is someone who can consistently average about 40. I think Warner will be able to do that. And if he doesn't, well then he should probably get the kick because anything much under 40 and we are heading towards NZ territory. And surely we can do better than that. Surely.