• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
SA have probably the best batting line up in world cricket, I fail to see how there would be an issue of under using Watson.
Well if Clarke tried his four fast bowlers and that wasn't working, I don't think he'd be feeling the love for trying a fifth fast bowler. He'd probably sooner bowl himself or Warner, or even go down to a completely different pace of seamer in Hussey, just to change the method of attack and test out a different part of the batsman's technique.

I'm probably even more of a "pick your best four bowlers" type of guy than you are, but it changes completely for me when you've got a legitimate five man attack. Personally, irrespective of Lyon's form, I'm a lot more enthused about a Watson+Lyon bowling combination than a Starc+Clarke/Warner bowling combination. If it means Watson ends up bowling closer to 20 overs a day than 10 for one or two Tests in the whole summer then so be it.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I find that crazy. No way should Watson be bowling that much and batting 3. Struggles to get to three figures as it is, bowling him too much pretty much guarantees that Australia's number 3 will not score a ton this summer. I find that an unacceptable trade-off.

Spikey

That's what top seven batsmen average when they get out to Lyon. It's a totally different thing. StatsGuru doesn't keep ball by ball records so you can't do what you're trying to do.
ok but what about your database

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
That's what top seven batsmen average when they get out to Lyon. It's a totally different thing. StatsGuru doesn't keep ball by ball records so you can't do what you're trying to do.
Ah makes sense. I remember people on here saying that a while back actually.

Out of interest, do you know if the figures they use for Cricinfo's numbers game, for batsmen against certain bowlers are correct?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ah makes sense. I remember people on here saying that a while back actually.

Out of interest, do you know if the figures they use for Cricinfo's numbers game, for batsmen against certain bowlers are correct?
Yep, those are correct. CricInfo has that sort of data in its main database (every ball since 2002 or something I believe) but they haven't made that sort of stuff available to the public yet, other than in their articles.

Ruckus

International Captain
I find that crazy. No way should Watson be bowling that much and batting 3. Struggles to get to three figures as it is, bowling him too much pretty much guarantees that Australia's number 3 will not score a ton this summer. I find that an unacceptable trade-off.
yep, agree.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm highly sceptical that Watson's bowling workload should really have any affect on his conversion rate, but even if it does, I'm not asking to bowling that much every game, or even necessarily in both innings at Brisbane if Lyon actually bowls well.

Top_Cat

Watson himself has said bowling too much affects his batting, tbh. He also plays all 3 forms so it stands to reason his workload will affect his batting and that's on top of his brain's propensity to leave his body at key moments.

On Lyon, that's a massive 'if' at the moment. That's what Benchy and I are getting at. If Lyon gets pumped, that puts the load back on Watson and the bowlers to do the job. The likelihood of that occurring is looking, well, likely.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yep, those are correct. CricInfo has that sort of data in its main database (every ball since 2002 or something I believe) but they haven't made that sort of stuff available to the public yet, other than in their articles.
Cheers. While we're at it, do you know any sites that have a similar setup as Satsguru for FC matches?

Ruckus

International Captain
I just don't wanna see Watson bowl 20 overs and then get injured again. Cowan's position will probably be pretty tenuous during this series, so we simply can't afford to potentially lose anyone else. We have literally no really good back up batsmen atm.

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
If they're not going to pick Lyon (which I think they will) and
going 4 pace bowlers and Watson lacks variety, why not give McDonald a go.
Played in test series win against the Saffers.
Less likely to get carted then Lyon, will bowls stack of overs
Has an FC bowling average in line with most og current crop (28.5)
Be a genuine number 8 (would have batted with Wade lots) and give some variety.

Last edited:

benchmark00

If their not going to pick Lyon (which I think they will) and
going 4 pace bowlers and Watson lacks variety, why not give McDonald a go.
Played in test series win against the Saffers.
Less likely to get carted then Lyon, will bowls stack of overs
Has a bolwing average in line with most
Be a genuine number 8 (would have batted with Wade lots) and give some variety.
Because he's not in the squad boi.

Spikey

Seems like a SOK or Maxwell or someone would be more sensible for that role. You know, replacing Lyon for someone expected to play as a bit part all-rounder.

and yeah squad. but that's why they probably don't even consider. replace him with a bowler if he gets replaced