• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

I know you need this for your dinner, but you ain't getting any! Kallis will not get hit by Starc

Ruckus

International Captain
**** Starc and Cutting. Get in Butterworth for Hilfenhaus. He is excellent form for the season, got 10 wickets last time he played at Adelaide and is a far better batsman than any of them.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
**** Starc and Cutting. Get in Butterworth for Hilfenhaus. He is excellent form for the season, got 10 wickets last time he played at Adelaide and is a far better batsman than any of them.
Far slower as well, may as well keep playing Quiney as glorified 5th bowler. They bowl about the same pace.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
On certain grounds like Bellrive you can probably get away with bowling 120km/h, but on the road that is Adelaide Oval you will struggle bowling at that pace.

In general though on less green tracks like you have at Test level, Butterworth would struggle. One the reasons he doesn't play domestic one day cricket. Because he is useless on pitch that don't seam around the corner.

It not just pace, it is his lack of variety on non green pitches.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
We've been trying to move away from containing, Giles/Boje-like trundlers. Would much rather Tahir played.

Would rather see Harmer or Botha in than Peterson tbh.
Think the selectors missed your memo, tbh. Peterson is in the squad, isn't he?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jack says he preferred facing him to Pete George in the nets.

/firsthandcwanecdote

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
And yeah I'm a big Butterworth fan but he would pretty much Kleinveldt if we made him debut at Adelaide of all places IMO. I think he actually has a good record at Adelaide in the Shield but unfortunately South Australia's batting lineup makes it a bit of an irrelevance. I'd sooner pick him than Cutting but that's not saying a lot as Cutting would probably struggle to get a game for Queensland every week if I was picking the team.

I'm the last guy to pick the Test team based on limited overs success and I've had many an argument with people on here about this exact thing over the years, but picking Starc wouldn't doing that. It's not that he's been successful of late; it's how he's been bowling. Anyone who stayed up to watch that ODI series in the UAE will know what I'm talking about; what he was sending down was going to be devastating regardless of what colour shirt he was wearing. The situation is more Finn than it is Lopsy.

Starc's domestic one day record for NSW was pretty average before he took that five for late last season as well; what we've got on our hands here is someone who has vastly improved their bowling over the last twelve months. His Shield record isn't quite as good as some of the others but it's by no means poor and I think we'd be missing a trick if he didn't play the next Test.

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah ftr Butterworth's best ground is Adelaide. Has 28 wickets at 16.46 there. Of the 6 main grounds, Bellerive is actually his second worst. Averages 20.29 at the WACA, 22.54 at Brisbane, and 16.92 at the MCG.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah ftr Butterworth's best ground is Adelaide. Has 28 wickets at 16.46 there.
He'd average at least double that if he had to bowl to Victoria there rather than South Australia though.

Big fan of Butterworth, but debut Test at Adelaide? Nah.

benchmark00

Speaking of cw anecdotes, as i've been overseas for a while i've missed out on a lot of gossip. Today I caught up with an old friend for lunch. Turns out Peter Siddle's new girlfriend is a friend of mine from back home. Can confirm she's a vego ftr.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Starc will play next game. It will have nothing to do with being in the top XI. But everything to do with bowler rotation. Johnson will also play at the WACA and it will have nothing to do with being in the top XI and all down to bowler rotation. Australia won't play the same 4 bowlers in back to back tests this summer.

Watch this space for sports science picking XIs and bowler rotation to the max this summer.

Top_Cat

Friendzoned for this handsome devil of a man?

Yeeouch. Wouldn't eat your meat either, to be fair.

Last edited: