• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Lyon must play.

Unless Clarke's balls enough to win the toss and bowl, his four quicks have two sessions to get them out else him, Warner and other sorry part-timers go in to be cannon-fodder to keep the over-rate beneath capital punishment levels.

And how the **** will four quicks take wickets if three can't?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think Burgey makes a good point about going in without Lyon. Watson is a quality bowler, and having him as the 5th fast bowler is just excessive and a waste IMO. The only time he'd bowl is if the 4 quicks weren't doing anything, in which case Clarke would want to try spin to change things up, so would probably end up bowling himself/Warner more than Watson.

You have 4 quality seamers already. There really isn't need for a 5th.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah Lyon is a certainty, looking forward to the commentators mentioning the fun fact that Warney used to always say how much he enjoyed bowling at the Gabba.

Lyon could be useful in getting out the tail, getting out Duminy, helping the overrates and potential making a big impact if we are bowling come day 5.

I have confidence in Clarke that he'll use Lyon wisely.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely Lyon has to play, can't really go into many tests without a spinner and get away with it especially when one of the part timers has a long history of back problems as well.

Burgey

I just don't htink you need five quicks. I mean, you might if an innings goes three and a half days, but fmd it's a bit of overkill, surely.

Top_Cat

Can only think those advocating Lyon play outright haven't seen him bowl this Shield season. I'm not a fan of 4 quicks either but he's not just struggling to get ****s out, he's struggling to keep them from bashing him for under 5/over, something he's never struggled with before. Confidence has to be shot and I wonder whether the thing for him is to play him against the best side in the world.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

If that is the case then pick another spinner then, would always want to have a spinner in my test side unless it is a real greentop.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Can only think those advocating Lyon play outright haven't seen him bowl this Shield season. I'm not a fan of 4 quicks either but he's not just struggling to get ****s out, he's struggling to keep them from bashing him for under 5/over, something he's never struggled with before. Confidence has to be shot and I wonder whether the thing for him is to play him against the best side in the world.
I thought you've been saying all summer that he's not bowling as bad as his figures suggest?

I've seen him bowl a bit and yeah he's not putting enough pressure on the batsman. Nowhere near enough dot balls but I don't think SA are the worst team for him to bowl at.

Lyon will be needed at Adelaide for the second Test so hopefully he does a respectable job at Brisbane.

uvelocity

International Coach
he'll be right. I mean he's been skippering, and the playing under another "spinner"

I have full confidence that clarkeh will massage the best out of him

Top_Cat

I thought you've been saying all summer that he's not bowling as bad as his figures suggest?
Is true from the perspective of not bowling half-trackers every ball because his line hasn't been bad. A spinner getting milked you can use, a guy getting smashed but taking wickets you can use. A bloke getting smashed, tucked away even when he lands one and not taking any wickets is a big risk for the Test side.

From the outside, it looks like he's just not getting the work on the ball he should. Mind you, it probably depends on net form too. If he's just trying a bunch of stuff out and it's not coming off but you can see his stock ball is okay, you might consider playing him anyway. But if he really is struggling to know where they're going and you play him, that **** ends careers. Like I said, I'm a big fan of playing a spinner in all but the most pace-friendly of conditions but if your best spinner is really down in the dumps, worth considering another combo.

Last edited:

Burgey

Yeah but it isn't four quicks, it's five. It's madness.

Top_Cat

Watson shouldn't bowl much/at all, I reckon. Would happily trade any wickets he takes for tons against Steyn, et al.

Burgey

Watson shouldn't bowl much/at all, I reckon. Would happily trade any wickets he takes for tons against Steyn, et al.
I think we all would. I saw an article saying he's working on improving his conversion rate. I don't know if that means he's trying to round up a posse to take to Hillsong of a Sunday or what, but I hope he makes a poultice of runs.

Pick another batsman then!
That would be a better option, but there isn't one in the squad UIMM.

benchmark00

The problem is that I can picture Lyon being totally ineffective in Brisbane. The few overs he will bowl could easily be bowled by Clarke, and they would be more likely to get a wicket/not release pressure.

Starc, if selected, would be the 4th front line pace option, and provides variety through being left armed.

Ppl srsly can't be advocating Lyon on the basis that it will help over rates, surely??

And adding to the Watson thing, you only want him bowling 5 overs a day, so that leaves potentially another 85 that will be dealt with by the seam bowlers. Imagine how fresh they would all be after they have short spells. On paper it doesn't release any pressure as you always have a fresh 140+ bowler steaming in at you.