Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: West Indies will rise to the top again

  1. #1
    International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lakemba, Sydney
    Posts
    2,150

    West Indies will rise to the top again

    Why you say ?

    Well two reasons - after many, many years - there are numerous promising fast bowlers in the region now.

    Roach, Delorn Johnson, Jason Holder, Jason Dawes, Carlos Braithwaite, Beaton , Jermain Jones, Kevin Mclean.
    At the u-19 wc, the West Indies quicks terrified the Aussie batsmen - was just like the 80's and 90's.

    Teams with strong fast bowlers tend to well. Barring Australia, I don't see anyone else with good fast bowling depth.
    South Africa haven't go anyone quick in their domestic setup barring marchant de Lange.
    England forget it and Pakistana re not producing the quicks they used to.

    Second, Julian Hunte has put in a very good program of governance for West Indies cricket. West Indies have a regular A team program and their SAGICOR High Performance Centre is right up there with Australia's academy in quality.

    Australia's greatest fear is on the rise again - a RESURGENT West Indies. A lot of sleepless nights coming up for Ikki, Burgey and Social I say.
    Last edited by Salamuddin; 13-10-2012 at 12:58 AM.
    Zinedine Zidane is the greatest footballer ever !

    Richard Dickinson - you little beauty !!!!

  2. #2
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,678
    Their batting is pretty fragile as it is, and with Chanderpaul's retirement looming near..

  3. #3
    TNT
    TNT is offline
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    361
    The WI are the rise again. How many times is that now.
    If you nick it walk

  4. #4
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,678
    Same number of times India 'finally' assembles a potent world class bowling attack


  5. #5
    International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,113
    The spinners are making West Indies less of a joke TBH.

  6. #6
    Cricketer Of The Year Xuhaib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    9,506
    Windies may rise again but not due to any of those factors the main reason that could lead to their resurgence is the IPL money involved in the game. Many promising athletes who started deserting cricket at a young age for american sports may start coming back to the game there is a reason that Windies have not produced many tall fast bowlers, recently all the tall guys are quickly attracted towards basketball now they may start giving cricket more of a chance if they are good at it
    Last edited by Xuhaib; 13-10-2012 at 02:29 AM.

  7. #7
    Cricketer Of The Year Xuhaib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    9,506
    However I dont believe we will ever see the 70-80' era Windies at best we may see a side similar to their 60's or maybe 90's side.

  8. #8
    TNT
    TNT is offline
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    361
    there is a reason that Windies have not produced many tall fast bowlers, recently all the tall guys are quickly attracted towards basketball now they may start cricket more of a chance if they are good at it
    Is this true, is basketball big in the WI's and do many players go to the US and play in the NBL.

  9. #9
    Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the HRV cup
    Posts
    9,945
    Windies Bangers and NZ all have passengers in their teams. WI would need to produce about 4 test quality players in addition to what they already have to get rid of the poor players.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

  10. #10
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,039
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    Is this true, is basketball big in the WI's and do many players go to the US and play in the NBL.
    Many have said it and I always blithely assumed it must be true, as did a good friend of mine who was a big West Indies cricket fan

    About ten years ago now my friend went back home to the Caribbean and I didn't see him for a few years - when I did see him again this cropped up in conversation and he said that having been back in the islands the idea was total bollocks.

    He reckoned, though he always did like to be controversial (he was a big Trade Union man on the railways when the NUR had some power to wield), that the basketball story was put about by the WICB to cover up the fact that the coaching system had been so neglected it had all but withered and died - he thought they were a disgrace and that the game was on its last legs out there.

    Since then we've kept in touch more thanks to the interweb, and he's still a stroppy **** on the subject of WICB, but he does acknowledge that things are getting better, and that his prognosis five years ago had been a little hasty

  11. #11
    Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the HRV cup
    Posts
    9,945
    Interesant.

  12. #12
    International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    3,878
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    Windies may rise again but not due to any of those factors the main reason that could lead to their resurgence is the IPL money involved in the game. Many promising athletes who started deserting cricket at a young age for american sports may start coming back to the game there is a reason that Windies have not produced many tall fast bowlers, recently all the tall guys are quickly attracted towards basketball now they may start giving cricket more of a chance if they are good at it
    This is a total myth. Just because there are black people on the islands doesn't mean they all play basketball. They aren't American. Jamaican kids copying Bolt however is true.

    In anycase its stupid when people talk about Windies as a single entity, things are different island to island, including popular sports. Cricket has a big advantage of being the only sport which brings them all together however.

    Anyway I doubt Windies or any other team is going to recreate the dominance of the late 70s and 80s. Thats not to say they aren't improving
    Last edited by NasserFan207; 13-10-2012 at 05:01 AM.
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

  13. #13
    Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the HRV cup
    Posts
    9,945
    Quote Originally Posted by NasserFan207 View Post
    Anyway I doubt Windies or any other team is going to recreate the dominance of the late 70s and 80s. Thats not to say they aren't improving
    No doubt this is accurate - but it made for a better thread topic by saying they would rise to the top.

    Also I don't think he said they would be as good as their dominant years. It seems like a number of teams have risen to the top in the last little while of cricket here in the test rankings.

    If Narine ends up with an average of 20 and like I said they get another 4 test standard players - with one of them being a star then they have a chance.

  14. #14
    International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    3,878
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    No doubt this is accurate - but it made for a better thread topic by saying they would rise to the top.

    Also I don't think he said they would be as good as their dominant years. It seems like a number of teams have risen to the top in the last little while of cricket here in the test rankings.

    If Narine ends up with an average of 20 and like I said they get another 4 test standard players - with one of them being a star then they have a chance.
    Well they have the talented youngsters to achieve that. I guess we'll see though. I think their cricket is finally headed in the right direction and slowly improving ATM.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    21,737

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. *Official* South Africa in West Indies
    By James in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1175
    Last Post: 04-07-2010, 06:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •