• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies will rise to the top again

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Why you say ?

Well two reasons - after many, many years - there are numerous promising fast bowlers in the region now.

Roach, Delorn Johnson, Jason Holder, Jason Dawes, Carlos Braithwaite, Beaton , Jermain Jones, Kevin Mclean.
At the u-19 wc, the West Indies quicks terrified the Aussie batsmen - was just like the 80's and 90's. :D

Teams with strong fast bowlers tend to well. Barring Australia, I don't see anyone else with good fast bowling depth.
South Africa haven't go anyone quick in their domestic setup barring marchant de Lange.
England forget it and Pakistana re not producing the quicks they used to.

Second, Julian Hunte has put in a very good program of governance for West Indies cricket. West Indies have a regular A team program and their SAGICOR High Performance Centre is right up there with Australia's academy in quality.

Australia's greatest fear is on the rise again - a RESURGENT West Indies. A lot of sleepless nights coming up for Ikki, Burgey and Social I say. :D :D

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Their batting is pretty fragile as it is, and with Chanderpaul's retirement looming near..

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Same number of times India 'finally' assembles a potent world class bowling attack

Xuhaib

International Coach
Windies may rise again but not due to any of those factors the main reason that could lead to their resurgence is the IPL money involved in the game. Many promising athletes who started deserting cricket at a young age for american sports may start coming back to the game there is a reason that Windies have not produced many tall fast bowlers, recently all the tall guys are quickly attracted towards basketball now they may start giving cricket more of a chance if they are good at it

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
However I dont believe we will ever see the 70-80' era Windies at best we may see a side similar to their 60's or maybe 90's side.

TNT

Banned
there is a reason that Windies have not produced many tall fast bowlers, recently all the tall guys are quickly attracted towards basketball now they may start cricket more of a chance if they are good at it
Is this true, is basketball big in the WI's and do many players go to the US and play in the NBL.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Windies Bangers and NZ all have passengers in their teams. WI would need to produce about 4 test quality players in addition to what they already have to get rid of the poor players.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is this true, is basketball big in the WI's and do many players go to the US and play in the NBL.
Many have said it and I always blithely assumed it must be true, as did a good friend of mine who was a big West Indies cricket fan

About ten years ago now my friend went back home to the Caribbean and I didn't see him for a few years - when I did see him again this cropped up in conversation and he said that having been back in the islands the idea was total bollocks.

He reckoned, though he always did like to be controversial (he was a big Trade Union man on the railways when the NUR had some power to wield), that the basketball story was put about by the WICB to cover up the fact that the coaching system had been so neglected it had all but withered and died - he thought they were a disgrace and that the game was on its last legs out there.

Since then we've kept in touch more thanks to the interweb, and he's still a stroppy **** on the subject of WICB, but he does acknowledge that things are getting better, and that his prognosis five years ago had been a little hasty

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Windies may rise again but not due to any of those factors the main reason that could lead to their resurgence is the IPL money involved in the game. Many promising athletes who started deserting cricket at a young age for american sports may start coming back to the game there is a reason that Windies have not produced many tall fast bowlers, recently all the tall guys are quickly attracted towards basketball now they may start giving cricket more of a chance if they are good at it
This is a total myth. Just because there are black people on the islands doesn't mean they all play basketball. They aren't American. Jamaican kids copying Bolt however is true.

In anycase its stupid when people talk about Windies as a single entity, things are different island to island, including popular sports. Cricket has a big advantage of being the only sport which brings them all together however.

Anyway I doubt Windies or any other team is going to recreate the dominance of the late 70s and 80s. Thats not to say they aren't improving

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway I doubt Windies or any other team is going to recreate the dominance of the late 70s and 80s. Thats not to say they aren't improving
No doubt this is accurate - but it made for a better thread topic by saying they would rise to the top.

Also I don't think he said they would be as good as their dominant years. It seems like a number of teams have risen to the top in the last little while of cricket here in the test rankings.

If Narine ends up with an average of 20 and like I said they get another 4 test standard players - with one of them being a star then they have a chance.

NasserFan207

No doubt this is accurate - but it made for a better thread topic by saying they would rise to the top.

Also I don't think he said they would be as good as their dominant years. It seems like a number of teams have risen to the top in the last little while of cricket here in the test rankings.

If Narine ends up with an average of 20 and like I said they get another 4 test standard players - with one of them being a star then they have a chance.
Well they have the talented youngsters to achieve that. I guess we'll see though. I think their cricket is finally headed in the right direction and slowly improving ATM.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Is the resurgence of West Indies players of sub-continental extraction a factor? For a very long time (between Kanhai and Kallicharan's retirements and Chanders's emergence, so a decade and a half at least) the Windies team seemed pretty much uniformly Afro-caribbean.

Chanders has been a feature for nearly two decades himself now (think he debuted in 94 in the test in which Lara first broke the test record, if my memory serves) but he's been joined by more and more Indo-caribbeans.

Noble One

Narsingh Deonarine and Assad Fudadin.

It's a strong theory. I have read a couple of good articles on the subject.