• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies will rise to the top again

SeamUp

International Coach
Do Indo-Carribeans originate from India or are they of South American Indian's descent ?

Stupid question probably because probably Asian Indians. When did they start going to the Carribean?

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Do Indo-Carribeans originate from India or are they of South American Indian's descent ?

Stupid question probably because probably Asian Indians. When did they start going to the Carribean?
Its a mix, but the vast majority are from the subcontinent. They are there for similar reasons black people are there, during the empire building days they were transported over there as 'indentured labour'. There's also a small Irish population on one of the islands who are descended from rebels sent there for the same reason.

They are all West Indian though, the Indo-Caribbeans still have parts of their culture from India intact, quite a few are Hindus

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Its a mix, but the vast majority are from the subcontinent. They are there for similar reasons black people are there, during the empire building days they were transported over there as 'indentured labour'. There's also a small Irish population on one of the islands who are descended from rebels sent there for the same reason.
Cheers for that mate.

Whats that leggies name for Guyana? I remember in one of the Champions League's a few years ago Guyana had a Chinese sounding name as well. :D

Pretty similar here in the Republic then when the British or the Dutch East India Company brought the Indians to work on the sugar canes in Durban and the Malay's were brought to Cape Town as 'indentured labourers'.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Cheers for that mate.

Whats that leggies name for Guyana? I remember in one of the Champions League's a few years ago Guyana had a Chinese sounding name as well. :D

Pretty similar here in the Republic then when the British or the Dutch East India Company brought the Indians to work on the sugar canes in Durban and the Malay's were brought to Cape Town as 'indentured labourers'.
Exactly yeah, think of the 'coloureds' in SA and its basically the same system

Dunno exactly which leggie you are thinking of, Chinese name huh?

SeamUp

International Coach
Exactly yeah, think of the 'coloureds' in SA and its basically the same system

Dunno exactly which leggie you are thinking of, Chinese name huh?

Did some looking up.

The leggie is Devandra Bishoo.

The Chinese lad is Jonathan Foo. :D

Spooony

Banned
Systems the wrong word, meant situation
I am colored myself' and sometimes I have to laugh when people post racial classification. Especially when talking about South Africa as it can be the most confusing thing ever. Indian in Cape Town is from Cape Malay ancestry but a Indian in Durban is from Indian ancestry. Most just gave up and call everyone of mix race coloreds:D

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Westindies can rise to the top in ODIs but to be among top 3 in tests what they have to do is

1) make the pitches faster with bounce.. they have become slower and lower(Lara affect me thinks) to encourage run scoring/stroke making and to bowl fast..
2) have a structure at the school and grass root level to identify the right players
3) Administer in the young minds the westindies pride ....i see the main problem is that since these are different nations in itself and when a distraction like IPL happens these players find it fine not to play for westindies..this should not be allowed to happen
4) find some tall fb's please :)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Prognostication on this is pointless without first-hand knowledge of the coaching and infrastructure situation on the ground, I reckon. Having a slew of talented young players is a fraction of the picture and the WI have never struggled to produce them. Without the system to support them, they won't produce consistent Test cricketers.