• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time ODI Draft

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But the point is, someone with an ER like that is clearly playing their role in the team...
Yes, maybe but to say 5 of them would mean 175 is ludicrous IMO.

If the player's role is to bowl 10 straight in the middle overs for under 40 without causing the batsmen any worries then you can't have 5 of them in a team.

Any team which doesn't take wickets will struggle to keep runs down as the innings goes on.

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant

Agent TBY:- MS Dhoni, Chris Gayle, Brett Lee,

Cabinet96:- Shaun Pollock, AB De Villiers, Michael Hussey, Saeed Ajmal, Darren Gough, Gautam Gambhir, Jonathan Trott, Eoin Morgan, Morne Morkel, Mitchell Johnson, Mohammad Hafeez.

Prince EWS:- Kapil Dev, Jacaques Kallis, Chris Cairns, Nick Knight, Gordon Greenidge, Allan Lamb, Graeme Swann, Fanie De Villiers, Graham Thorpe, Andrew Hall, Tatenda Taibu.

Saint Kopite:- Michael Bevan, Waqar Younis, Kumar Sangakkara, Sourav Ganguly, Greg Chappell, Heath Streak, Herschelle Gibbs, Shahid Afridi, Daniel Vettori, Hansie Cronje, Makhaya Ntini.

AndyZaltzHair:- Viv Richards, Imran Khan, Andy Roberts, Shoaib Akhtar, Jonty Rhodes, Mark Boucher, Carl Hooper, Glenn Turner, Mushtaq Ahmed, Robin Smith, Gary Kirsten.

Monk:- Sachin Tendulkar, Curtly Ambrose, Dean Jones, Dennis Lillee, Ian Botham, Brad Haddin, Simon O'Donnell, Darren Lehmann, Ross Taylor, Peter Taylor,

smalishah84:- Joel Garner, Hashim Amla, Courtney Walsh, Javed Miandad, Mohammad Yusuf, Chaminda Vaas, Rahul Dravid, Stephen Fleming, Romesh Kaluwitharana, Gavin Larsen, Upul Chandana.

8ankitj:- Muttiah Muralitharan, Shane Watson, Zaheer Abbas, Michael Clarke, Desmond Haynes, Craig McDermott, Rashid Latif, Ewen Chatfield, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Ajay Jadeja, Damien Fleming.

kingkallis:- Brian Lara, Allan Donald, Andrew Flintoff, Saeed Anwar, Virender Sehwag, Damien Martyn, Moin Khan, Jason Gillespie, Jacob Oram, Brad Hogg, Ian Chappell.

AldoRaine18:- Ricky Ponting, Mark Waugh, Michael Holding, Malcolm Marshall, Yuvraj Singh, Graeme Smith, Virat Kohli, Abdul Qadir, Allan Border, Dale Steyn, Alec Stewart.

Howe_zat:- Glenn McGrath, Sanath Jayasuriya, Shane Bond, Martin Crowe, Mahela Jayawardene, Garry Sobers, Ian Healy, Anil Kumble, Paul Collingwood, Alastair Cook, Grant Flower.

Michaelf7777777:- Shane Warne, Lance Klusner, Andy Flower, Lasith Malinga, Steve Waugh, Angelo Matthews, Abdul Razzaq, Nathan Astle, Jesse Ryder, Ian Bishop, Tilikaratne Dilshan.

Himannv:- Wasim Akram, Saqlain Mushtaq, Aravinda De Silva, Brendon McCullum, Inzamam-ul-Haq, Clive Lloyd, Neil Fairbrother, Marcus Trescothick, Chris Harris, Zaheer Khan, Umar Gul.

Blakus:- Adam Gilchrist, Richard Hadlee, Andrew Symonds, Kevin Pietersen, Matthew Hayden, Shakib Al Hasan, Nathan Bracken, Colin Croft, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Arjuna Ranatunga, Bob Willis.

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
So, We have thirteen teams which will be divided in two groups. One group will have six while the other will have seven teams. The top four from each group will proceed to the quarter finals.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd like request that my team be advertised as "Spooony/Prince EWS" too please. No way am I taking all the blame for those early picks. :p

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Can't you just make it the top 2 teams from each group and have a semi final? Seriously the 4th placed team in the group of 6 isn't that special an achievement.

Himannv

International Coach
That's a cracking ODI team. I think I should have gone for Gul ahead of Steyn, given his ability with yorkers. If I had to point out one thing, and I may be wrong about this, but seems the overall strike rate is slightly low. Particularly lower down the order in case you need someone to chase a target and hit big.
I think Lloyd is quite capable of going after the bowling. His strike rate is high for the era he played in imo. I also feel that Fairbrother packed a punch when he needed to and he's well suited to this format. Backed by some of those bowlers I think they should go alright if hitting big is necessary.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
If you play the game on paper or a spreadsheet that is.
You are right. In reality, half the time you will be chasing more than 175, half the time less than 175. So question is does it matter if the half way point is 175 or 225? Absolutely, it does.

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
Can't you just make it the top 2 teams from each group and have a semi final? Seriously the 4th placed team in the group of 6 isn't that special an achievement.
Thing is, there are plenty of good teams.

Some good team in one group may miss out by one vote when it would have deserved to go ahead. By having four teams qualifying from each group, we are minimizing the scope for a good team getting eliminated when it would have deserved to go through the next round.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Thing is, there are plenty of good teams.

Some good team in one group may miss out by one vote when it would have deserved to go ahead. By having four teams qualifying from each group, we are minimizing the scope for a good team getting eliminated when it would have deserved to go through the next round.
If people don't vote for a team then it ought not win, people are unlikely to change their minds.

Usually we just have one vote and that's that (after all it doesn't much matter who wins, most people just play for the sake of playing). If you want to have multiple rounds then go ahead but I agree that having four is really unnecessary, and you'll end up with a final of three votes.