• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SA Squad to Australia

kingkallis

International Coach
If I recall correctly a back injury forced his early retirement.

Tsolekile is looking better, he averaged 50 in last year's FC competition.

Still not sure he is the right guy to take over from Boucher, he is already 32.

I think Dane Vilas or Heino Kuhn would have been a better option for the short term, and Quinton de Kock for the longer term.
Thami will keep wicket for 1-2 years as the SAF selectors wanna groom de Kock as the next Boucher and this makes sense as well. de Kock will be ready by then :D

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Am hoping Kallis misses a test or two after his injury last night, was awesome that his own SA team mate injured him.

Spooony

Banned
I can see the Australian bowlers making some serious inroads into this Saffie top 6. Think their going to be really worried if they see Amla getting knocked over early on - such a key player for them.
Amla like Kallis role is a anchor where the other batsman bat around. If Amla gets out we have Kallis to fill his role and guys like Smith and don't tell me you forgot about Duminny, to bat around them.

For the keeping we always have had saying "If the keeper is a liability as a batsman, he's simply a liability."

Thami Tsolekile vs Heino Kuhn

Thami Tsolekile is a spent force. Might as well shoot ourselves in the foot while we at it

Last edited:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Amla like Kallis role is a anchor where the other batsman bat around. If Amla gets out we have Kallis to fill his role and guys like Smith and don't tell me you forgot about Duminny, to bat around them.
Kallis never seems to do that well in Aus if memory serves so I think there's a decent chance that he won't shine - fine overall player he may be.

And yeah Duminy did well in the 08/09 series but this attack he's going to be up against is far better than Lee, Clark, Siddle and Krejza/Hauritz - he's really going to be tested with the short stuff and if he's isn't aware of this he's in trouble imo.

I'll give you Smith though. :p

akilana

International 12th Man
Kallis never seems to do that well in Aus if memory serves so I think there's a decent chance that he won't shine - fine overall player he may be.

And yeah Duminy did well in the 08/09 series but this attack he's going to be up against is far better than Lee, Clark, Siddle and Krejza/Hauritz - he's really going to be tested with the short stuff and if he's isn't aware of this he's in trouble imo.

I'll give you Smith though. :p
around 46 is not bad given how awesome the Australian attack had been.

i dont have confidence in duminy and i think SA should get rid of him but his innings in 2009 was against a real quality attack. the spinner was rubbish but lee was doing fine during that time(iirc rated no 1 or 2. cant remember) and mitchell johnson was at his best.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hmm, my abiding memory of Lee's bowling in that series was that it was complete tripe - especially at the MCG (because he was injured, mind)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Thami will keep wicket for 1-2 years as the SAF selectors wanna groom de Kock as the next Boucher and this makes sense as well. de Kock will be ready by then :D
So the Saffers plan is to have De Kock as the long term keeper. De Kock doesn't even keep for his domestic side, cus Thami in that side as well.

Hard to groom someone as keeper, when they don't even keep at domestic level.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
So the Saffers plan is to have De Kock as the long term keeper. De Kock doesn't even keep for his domestic side, cus Thami in that side as well.

Hard to groom someone as keeper, when they don't even keep at domestic level.
He was keeping at U/19 level, and now that Thami is in the Test squad he should get most of the season with the gloves.

It may be why Thami was selected ahead of Vilas or Kuhn :ph34r: [/conspiracy

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
He was keeping at U/19 level, and now that Thami is in the Test squad he should get most of the season with the gloves.

It may be why Thami was selected ahead of Vilas or Kuhn :ph34r: [/conspiracy
That might work if he is in the starting XI. But once they are back home on only pick the 11 plus a bowling reserve. Thami will be back in the Lions side and De Kock won't be keeping.

SeamUp

International Coach
That might work if he is in the starting XI. But once they are back home on only pick the 11 plus a bowling reserve. Thami will be back in the Lions side and De Kock won't be keeping.
Thami will probably play against NZL in the two test series. Think they will assess from there for Pakistan. Quinton can then keep then in the 4-day stuff.

While Thami is away in Aus its our Momentum One-day Cup so he will keep for the whole of that series bar the paly-off 2nd/3rd and final probably. Not red-ball 4-day cricket but at least its something.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
If they go down that path it will be interesting to see who they drop. There is a chance one of Duminy, Petersen or Rudolph will fail in Australia and there is no real choice who to drop. But if they are all scoring runs it will be a hard call. It is kind of like hoping someone fails to make the call easy.

Personally think they are better off taking the gloves of AB in the ODI/T20Is, where there is more batting spots vacant and less impact to team balance and performance.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm, my abiding memory of Lee's bowling in that series was that it was complete tripe - especially at the MCG (because he was injured, mind)
Pretty sure you're right actually, was against India the summer previously where he was gun.