• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Zimbabwean Domestic Season 2012/13

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Probably won't get many posts in here but I didn't know where else to put the big news that Sean Williams is back.

He buggered off to play hockey in South Africa of all things for a while but he's just turned up in a T20 match for the Tuskers, which is really good news for the national team, even despite the fact that he went wicketless and then got run out for a duck. :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Question: did Compton play Zimbo domestic as a domestic player? I vaguely recall him making "I'd love to play for Zimbabwe, me" noises a while back before his upturn in form for the Cider Drinkers. Guess his province will be short a player in any event.

His mum's Zimbabwean, IIRC.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Question: did Compton play Zimbo domestic as a domestic player? I vaguely recall him making "I'd love to play for Zimbabwe, me" noises a while back before his upturn in form for the Cider Drinkers. Guess his province will be short a player in any event.

His mum's Zimbabwean, IIRC.
I don't think he did actually, but the ZC doesn't have strict overseas player limits because they figure having a few ring-ins on each side if they can get them will only help develop the limited number of top class talents in the country who will no doubt be playing regardless.

He didn't play First Class cricket there last season anyway. I think he just decided he cba after finally cementing a county spot properly.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If the board has a relatively lax attitude to overseas players I wonder if it extends to national qualification? There must be a few SA FC players with Zimbabwean antecedents who would improve the international side. The ICC's regs only ask that a player is a citizen of the country, so in theory they wouldn't even have to play in Zim.

Steyn famously the son of Zimbabwean parents, although think that ship has sailed.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If the board has a relatively lax attitude to overseas players I wonder if it extends to national qualification? There must be a few SA FC players with Zimbabwean antecedents who would improve the international side. The ICC's regs only ask that a player is a citizen of the country, so in theory they wouldn't even have to play in Zim.
You do have to be available to play a full domestic season under their regulations; I know that much because of Sibanda's dropping. That'd mean living in the country itself for at least six months of the year and giving up more lucrative franchise cricket which would probably put off prospective Saffers. They're notoriously bad at chasing up players too; it'd require a player actually going to them and saying they were keen. Apparently they never actually followed up the Compton thing at all even despite official statements to the media by him at the time.

MrPrez

International Debutant
I don't think he did actually, but the ZC doesn't have strict overseas player limits because they figure having a few ring-ins on each side if they can get them will only help develop the limited number of top class talents in the country who will no doubt be playing regardless.

He didn't play First Class cricket there last season anyway. I think he just decided he cba after finally cementing a county spot properly.
For some reason unbeknown to me, there's a voice in the back of my head saying he did. Or maybe I'm thinking of another pom?

EDIT: I'm probably wrong, actually. I think I'm thinking of the Englishman who went to Zim to play for a season and wrote a cricinfo diary column about it.

Last edited:

Chook Herron

School Boy/Girl Captain
I take an interest in Zimbabwean cricket if only because I like to support the underdog. I know Ben Slater (Derbyshire) is playing for Southern Rocks this season, Jaik Mickleburgh (Essex) is playing for Mid West Rhinos, Dan Hodgson (Yorkshire) and Mark Pettini (Essex) are playing for Mountaineers.

It'll be interesting to see whether Sean Williams can break back into the national side. I'm also keeping an eye on Glen Querl's progress this season who could potentially be a decent pace bowler in years to come. It's unfortunate Gary Ballance has shunned Zimbabwe in favour for trying to break into the English side. He would have given Zimbabwe's fragile batting order some much needed strength.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Vusi hit 190 in a one dayer today. The rest of the all-international top four - Vermeulen, Taylor and Waller - all got ducks.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That must've been some innings considering they were 2/3 after 4 overs.
Haha yeah, the Rocks would've been on top of the world after dismissing Vermeulen, Taylor and Waller for ducks. It was a massively stacked top four for a ZImbabwean domestic fixture and they rolled three of them for literally nothing each - so close yet so far...

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I take an interest in Zimbabwean cricket if only because I like to support the underdog. I know Ben Slater (Derbyshire) is playing for Southern Rocks this season, Jaik Mickleburgh (Essex) is playing for Mid West Rhinos, Dan Hodgson (Yorkshire) and Mark Pettini (Essex) are playing for Mountaineers.

It'll be interesting to see whether Sean Williams can break back into the national side. I'm also keeping an eye on Glen Querl's progress this season who could potentially be a decent pace bowler in years to come. It's unfortunate Gary Ballance has shunned Zimbabwe in favour for trying to break into the English side. He would have given Zimbabwe's fragile batting order some much needed strength.
Will Balance still play domestic cricket in Zimbabwe?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Querl and Meth playing for the same domestic side strikes me as a bit unfair at times. If any team was equipped to handle that new ball combo it was the Rhinos (top four of Sibanda/Taylor/Vermuelen/Waller) and they still ended up 67/5.

Last edited: