Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tom Latham vs Hamish Rutherford

Rutherford is a bit of a brute from what I have seen. But he has only had half a season of good form, he needs to average over 40 and get some runs in the other formats to push for a genuine spot. I'm suprised about the big scores he gets, I thought he was more of a quick 30 or 60 type of basman. Brownlie gets him out on 99... Man that is gutting.

Latham is probably more talented, he will probably be keeping for Canterbury this year and batting 4-5, I dont think Van Wyk is our keeper for the future so he could put pressure on him with runs. He still is probably a season or 2 away from making a real go at it, is only 21 and looks a bit uneasy against shorter stuff, although that is common at the start of a new season!!

Thread reminds me a bit of a game I used to play, next three test debutants. I was looking good to get all my pigeons home first once until a scandalous James Marshall over Peter Fulton decision.

Hamish Rutherford, 99 vs. India A - YouTube

That square drive/cut he plays off about a fifth stump, he scores so heavily with that it makes a FTB tag tempting. Sweetly-timed off drives are a regular feature as well tbf. Did a search for pull and hook shots played in any innings within the vault*, there's one.

* I've got a short walk-through video for this now btw. I'll PM it to anyone who fancies using the vault over the summer, or has had problems and thinks it would pinpoint their issue.

Tom Latham, 132 vs. India A - YouTube

Note Rutherford's wagon wheel has been inverted (as if a right-hander), Latham's hasn't.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kippax; 06-10-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    Very few - none I can actually think of - players who score FC double hundreds don't play subsequently for NZ
    Good point. Raval is one that comes to mind who's done it and hasn't really been in the international reckoning yet. He could still get there in the future, though.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    Thread reminds me a bit of a game I used to play, next three test debutants. I was looking good to get all my pigeons home first once until a scandalous James Marshall over Peter Fulton decision.

That square drive/cut he plays off about a fifth stump, he scores so heavily with that it makes a FTB tag tempting. Sweetly-timed off drives are a regular feature as well tbf. Did a search for pull and hook shots played in any innings within the vault*, there's one.
    Seems very accomplished at the old swish 'n' wish, doesn't look international standard at all.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Both will play well before they're ready, be found out at international level and end up stuck in no man's land between Plunket Shield quality and Test quality, frustrated at the lack of opportunity to play a level of cricket that they're neither too good for or not good enough for.

(Yes, I do realise that's not even remotely a big call)

I think Latham will have some ODI success though if they don't move him up and down the order repeatedly or occasionally ask him to keep wicket.
    Sinclair?
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    Sinclair?
    I didn't say anything about an early period of Test success to get everyone excited; it'll be a while before they have another Sinclair.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    Good point. Raval is one that comes to mind who's done it and hasn't really been in the international reckoning yet. He could still get there in the future, though.
    Nice, and a ridiculous oversight on my part seeing I saw it. I tried to look up all the double centurions in FC but my internet skills are not great.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    Nice, and a ridiculous oversight on my part seeing I saw it. I tried to look up all the double centurions in FC but my internet skills are not great.
    You can look them up this way;
    New Zealand Cricket - NZ Cricket Archive
    - then click on 'records',
    - then 'first class'
    - then choose an association
    - the click 'batting records'
    - then click 'Most Runs in an Innings for xxxx '

for some reason can't copy & paste the url

Doing a quick check, a recent guy to get one is Josh Brodie (but like you say he will probably eventually get selected). M Parlane perhaps the most accomplished recent double centurion to not get higher honours.

While Broom and Woodcock have FC 200's yet haven't yet been selected for test cricket, but have been for LOs

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Immenso View Post
    You can look them up this way;
    New Zealand Cricket - NZ Cricket Archive
    - then click on 'records',
    - then 'first class'
    - then choose an association
    - the click 'batting records'
    - then click 'Most Runs in an Innings for xxxx '

for some reason can't copy & paste the url

Doing a quick check, a recent guy to get one is Josh Brodie (but like you say he will probably eventually get selected). M Parlane perhaps the most accomplished recent double centurion to not get higher honours.

While Broom and Woodcock have FC 200's yet haven't yet been selected for test cricket, but have been for LOs
    Thank you sir.

I think I used the enquiry originally in regards to Brodie. M Parlane scored one against a pretty damn good Auckland attack, and David Kelly is the other interesting one in 2001. Real flat track bully that fella.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Jesus, Hamish is basically a left-handed version of his Dad, the resemblance is that strong I reckon.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Bump - Hendrix is not to answer (as I know his vote) - Rutherford looks unlikely to make a name for himself in the test arena and will be doing well to be in the team 12 months from now. Will Latham fair better?
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I didn't say anything about an early period of Test success to get everyone excited; it'll be a while before they have another Sinclair.
    Well Rutherford debuted with the 170 then shunted it ever since. Claiming I called it

GGG
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post

* I've got a short walk-through video for this now btw. I'll PM it to anyone who fancies using the vault over the summer, or has had problems and thinks it would pinpoint their issue.

Tom Latham, 132 vs. India A - YouTube

Note Rutherford's wagon wheel has been inverted (as if a right-hander), Latham's hasn't.
    Your Youtube account been terminated? NZC being a bit precious, noticed another one of your videos was taken down with the request of NZC.

I think at this point a Rutherford vs Fulton thread would be more appropriate, since they're both on very thin ice. Latham should get the next two series at the least to show what he can do.

Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    Your Youtube account been terminated? NZC being a bit precious, noticed another one of your videos was taken down with the request of NZC.
    Yeah a major commercial partner of NZC's was very keen to see that channel's demise. Read the video description of that -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2eiwzrhhV4

I'll sometimes add a new video to this unlisted (won't be found by google etc.) playlist -
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ri0Cn8_ywozy7M

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information