Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Bowling Combination Possible

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    I usually go for the three best quicks and the best spinner. If picking an ATG team, I always have Sobers at #5 or 6, so there is a high quality fifth bowler.

So, for me it's-

Lillee
    Marshall
    McGrath

and

Warne

The others I consider strongly are Wasim (left arm and a wizard), SF Barnes (but I find that early era thing hard to gauge), Ambrose (who I think was a better bowler than McGrath, but McGrath was more consistent. Ambrose could be hot and cold depending on his attitude) and O'Reilly (really hard to split him and Warne, but Warne's mongrel and will to win is so good).
    I shiver, thinking how easy it is to be totally wrong about people - to see one tiny part of them and confuse it for the whole, to see the cause and think its the effect or vice versa.

For 'well-rounded' I'd go Larwood, Davidson, Waqar, Warne and Miller.
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    For 'well-rounded' I'd go Larwood, Davidson, Waqar, Warne and Miller.
    I have to ask....why Larwood and Waqar over Lillee and Marshall (not that I'm right, but I'd be especially interested why you rate them over Marshall in particular).

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I usually go for the three best quicks and the best spinner. If picking an ATG team, I always have Sobers at #5 or 6, so there is a high quality fifth bowler.

So, for me it's-

Lillee
    Marshall
    McGrath

and

Warne

The others I consider strongly are Wasim (left arm and a wizard), SF Barnes (but I find that early era thing hard to gauge), Ambrose (who I think was a better bowler than McGrath, but McGrath was more consistent. Ambrose could be hot and cold depending on his attitude) and O'Reilly (really hard to split him and Warne, but Warne's mongrel and will to win is so good).
    Exactly how I feel about Mcgrath vs Ambrose, very similar to Tendulkar vs Lara, the former has the weight of numbers and consistentcy, while though at their respective bests few if any can top the latters.

Back on topic, Wasim is very tempting to put in such a conversation because of his variety and use of the old ball, Barnes is so hard to rate because no one alive has seen him bowl and most reports of his bowling is so conflicting. Also shared your thoughs on Warne and Tiger, but Awarne's pace and variety is better suited for the modern game. Like your reasoning though.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    I have to ask....why Larwood and Waqar over Lillee and Marshall (not that I'm right, but I'd be especially interested why you rate them over Marshall in particular).
    +1

Loved Waqar growing up and a big part of me still thinks him the better over Akram, but his peak was so short and he was a high risk, high reward bowler, and regarding Larwood, well ..................that always boggles my mind.

I think you could argue that for a year or two at his peak, Waqar was probably the best fast bowler ever. He had it all, extreme pace, swinging it both ways, vicious bouncer and ridiculously good yorker. At times he looked unplayable.

Why is there so much Larwood dissing going on here? By all accounts, he was the best fast bowler of his generation and was considered extremely quick and also exceptionally accurate. His FC record is incredible despite that period being known for its batting friendly pitches.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

Quote Originally Posted by Himannv View Post
    Why is there so much Larwood dissing going on here? By all accounts, he was the best fast bowler of his generation and was considered extremely quick and also exceptionally accurate. His FC record is incredible despite that period being known for its batting friendly pitches.
    I think some people just fail to understand why some others rate him really highly.

I think some people just fail to understand why some others rate him really highly.
    Well it's a common problem with any bowler who we haven't seen much footage of. There will always be people who think he's amazing and people who would be a bit more sceptical. However, I don't see many people questioning the credentials of players like Barnes and O'Reilly.

Quote Originally Posted by Himannv View Post
    Well it's a common problem with any bowler who we haven't seen much footage of. There will always be people who think he's amazing and people who would be a bit more sceptical. However, I don't see many people questioning the credentials of players like Barnes and O'Reilly.
    I think the stats come in to play a bit here. O'Reilly and Barnes had ridiculously good stats, while Larwood's were so-so at test level (I know stats aren't everything etc). Larwood's contemporary, Bill Voce, had virtually exactly the same stats (average and SR) as Larwood.

I think the stats come in to play a bit here. O'Reilly and Barnes had ridiculously good stats, while Larwood's were so-so at test level (I know stats aren't everything etc). Larwood's contemporary, Bill Voce, had virtually exactly the same stats (average and SR) as Larwood.
    I agree that Larwood's test stats aren't the best, but there could be plenty of reasons for this. There certainly isn't anything shabby about his FC stats.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    I think you could argue that for a year or two at his peak, Waqar was probably the best fast bowler ever. He had it all, extreme pace, swinging it both ways, vicious bouncer and ridiculously good yorker. At times he looked unplayable.
    And therein, I suppose, lies the problem - I completely agree, but how long does someone have to be at their peak to deserve to be up there with the great and the good? Jack Iverson always strikes me as a good example, and probably Alf Valentine and Sonny Ramadhin are too - to my mind they are all the "wrong" side of the line, but for me Waqar did enough

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Another combination:

Larwood
    Lillee
    Verity
    Laker
    Miller

Wanted a left arm spinner, then a classical offie to turn it the opposite way.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Smali in "I'm all over a post supporting Imran" shocker.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    And therein, I suppose, lies the problem - I completely agree, but how long does someone have to be at their peak to deserve to be up there with the great and the good? Jack Iverson always strikes me as a good example, and probably Alf Valentine and Sonny Ramadhin are too - to my mind they are all the "wrong" side of the line, but for me Waqar did enough
    Waqar, yeh, almost...

It's hard to judge with quick bowlers. Because of the nature of fast bowling, most peak for about two years, some a bit longer. There careers sometimes go for a lot longer, and they are still good, but not as good as they once were. So, if you're a flat out cricket nerd who loves discussing ATG teams, do you judge them on their absolute peak period, or their whole career, or a combo of both? Probably the latter.

That's why McGrath is such a freak. Maintained really high consistency and strike power for so long.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information