• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Seccombe Next In Line?

Cloete

International Captain
I'm sure just about everybody agrees with me when I say Wade Seccombe is Australia's best gloveman. But I've had a look at his batting. Last game against SA Seccombe came to the crease at 5-110 he ended up saving Queensland by hitting 67* and Qld made 310 all out. In the second innings Qld were 5-46! Seccombe played brilliantly and ended with 115 helping Qld to get 274. Qld eventually won outright thanks to Bichel and Seccombe.

His stats of late:

In the last two season he has scored 762 runs @ 40.10. Apparently in the season he got called up to the Ashes he was averaging just 11. But he found a flaw in his batting, early on in his innings he'd play more cross-bat shots rather than playing straight. Since then every week the coach or assistant has given him 1000 balls thrown to him a week.

His batting has also been top-notch in the ING Cup for the last two season's, saving Qld countless times.

Out of interest, do you think he deserves to be the ODI or test keeper? bearing in mind how well his batting has come along and he is the undisputed best golveman in Aus.

Cloete said:
Out of interest, do you think he deserves to be the ODI or test keeper? bearing in mind how well his batting has come along and he is the undisputed best golveman in Aus.
No.
Also, you can't say he is the undisputedly best gloveman in Australia if it is actually disputed. I don't think he is, that therefore constitutes a dispute.
Every time I have ever seen him he has done nothing to impress me.

That's fair enough, Neil :). Of course, I haven't called them undisputedly the best, but I would say they are. But I don't presume to make assumptions on other people's opinions. It really sh*ts me when people do that.

Cloete

International Captain
Re: Re: Seccombe Next In Line?

furious_ged said:
No.
Also, you can't say he is the undisputedly best gloveman in Australia if it is actually disputed. I don't think he is, that therefore constitutes a dispute.
Every time I have ever seen him he has done nothing to impress me.
yeah but h probably hasn't made a mistake either. it's not about what he does that makes you impressed, it's what he does that makes you think he's not so good. And he's a very sounds keeper, so he just goes about his business with virtually no mistakes.

deeps

International 12th Man
he is probably the next best keeper in australia,but his batting is not up to the international level...Also,his age is not on his side

The next keeper inline for an australian call-up is without doubt Ryan Campbell or Brad Haddin for ODI's,...

The test keeper is a bit harder to find,and perhaps Secombe would get the nod if gilchrist gets injured...But he won't be the long term choice,and so if Gilly retires,they would go with haddin or campbell...prbably haddin,bcoz he's a nswelsman

iamdavid

International Debutant
I agree with you that on sheer keeping ability he leaves Gilchrist , Haddin & others for dead , he is brilliant to the quicks & tidy to spinners.

His batting has also clearly gone up a notch this year , I note not only is he playing straighter early , he has also looked to be alot more aggressive , in previous years he has been a very slow starter but this season he has looked to take the initiative & take it to the bowlers.

On form he has been superb & he's got the runs when it matters , but it all omes down to age , Seccombe is as old as Gilchrist , I predict Gilly will go on till about 35 or 36 , he has alreay said theres no way he'll be around at 38 like Steve Waugh.
I cant see the selectors replacing one 35 year old with another.
In the long term I reckon Haddin , Crosswaithe , Ronchi , Dawson or possibly Manou.
However if Gilly was to be injured tomorrow & they just needed a replament for one match then Seccombe would get in easy.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
As has been said, Secombe's age is against him to be the next regular keeper, but would certainly get a Test if Gilly was injured. Haddin and Campbell would be picked if there was a ODI in Australia going.

Who would take over when Gilchrist retires? I don't think any of the current keepers would be picked. The selectors would most likely go for someone with a bit of youth on their side like Crosswaithe. We have got a good second keeper up here in Qld called Chris Hartley. It just depends if gets a regular chance because of Secombe. There have been reports several states are trying to lure him away. I don't know enough about Ronchi to comment whilst Clinglelffer from Tassie has got to be a shot if he keeps improving.

Cloete

International Captain
iamdavid said:
no ACT bias there? :P

seriously he does look the goods, but it's not like he's played much first class cricket. but he has impressed in the 2nd XI's for Tassie.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Cloete said:
no ACT bias there? :P
None at all:saint:

But he has seriously IMO got alot of ability , he should break through to the Tigers first XI by seasons end , he's not quite in Clingeleffers league with the gloves , but he's younger & a better batsman.