• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg Chappell vs Ricky Ponting?

Greg Chappell vs Ricky Ponting?

• Total voters

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Both top tier, but Chappell faced better bowlers and was one of only three batsmen to flourish in WSC. Also didn't have Hayden and Langer to demoralise the bowlers for him before he came in.
Fans of both though.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Question can be posed as who is the second greatest Australian batsman. Border, Waugh, Harvey etc can be thrown in the mix.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Because of their minimalistic style of play I belive that we can take Border and Waugh out of that conversation.
Chappell, Ponting and Harvey. Then in the next group would be Waugh, Simpson, Border ect.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Chappell second best middle order Aust batsman by a small distance. Then throw a blanket over Border, Harvey, Ponting, McCabe, Hassett, Waugh etc.

Jager

International Debutant
Chappell second best middle order Aust batsman by a small distance. Then throw a blanket over Border, Harvey, Ponting, McCabe, Hassett, Waugh etc.
I think I'd have to agree. I'd probably still take Harvey over Chappell though since it's so minimal for me, since he's a left-hander and can handle the stickies.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If we're just talking Tests, Border for me. Ponting a fraction ahead of Chappell. It's all so close though that I'd take Chappell over both if we were to factor in his handful of WSC SuperTests.

Red

For my Australian XI I generally go...

Simpson
Trumper or Morris
Bradman
G.Chappell
Miller
Harvey
Gilchrist
Warne
Lillee
O'Reilly
McGrath

If I was to drop Miller (settle, fans....), it might look like this...

Simpson
Trumper or Morris
Bradman
G.Chappell
Harvey
Ponting or Border (hard to split, but probably Ponting between two LHs)
Gilchrist
Lindwall
Lillee
Warne or O'Reilly
McGrath

smash84

The Tiger King
I think Ponting's playing way past his peak and being ****e in the last 3-4 years doesn't help his cause

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Viv had the same problem, but in the long run, people forget and it doesn't matter.

watson

Banned
In order in actually play in an ATG Test Match (assuming that were possible because someone somehow had invented a time machine) the ATG player could only be one specific age when they played the Test Match. In other words, Ricky Ponting or Viv Richards couldn't similtaneously be 36 years old and 28 years old at the same when they went out to face SF Barnes.

Instead, they would be batting at the height of their powers when they were both 28 years, 59 days and 7 hours old. Or whatever exact age was appropriate.

And just to make things slightly more confusing; if Ponting or Richards did face up to SF Barnes aged 28 years, 59 days and 7 hours old, then they wouldn't know what it means to be in decline because they wouldn't have yet experienced any Test Matches when they were 'old'.

Last edited:

Red

The more I consider it, the less I am inclined to include Miller in my all time Australian XI.

At present:

1. Bob Simpson
2. Arthur Morris
3. Don Bradman
4. Greg Chappell
5. Ricky Ponting
6. Neil Harvey
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Ray Lindwall
9. Shane Warne
10. Dennis Lillee
11. Glenn McGrath

Like the combination of three left handers and four right handers in the top 7.
Like the L/R opening combo.
Bowling attack has serious venom, and is relentless.
Chappell and Simpson can both bowl if required.
Chappell and Simpson are probably the greatest slip fielders Australia has had. Ponting and Harvey two of the greatest in the cover/point areas. Bradman a very good cover fieldsman.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Have always reckoned that G Chappell was a pretty underrated batsman, at least in these forums.. Whatever I have heard about his batting from his contemporaries is just awesome.. I think he would have been much more recognized but for his career co-inciding with a certain IVA Richards...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The more I consider it, the less I am inclined to include Miller in my all time Australian XI.

At present:

1. Bob Simpson
2. Arthur Morris
3. Don Bradman
4. Greg Chappell
5. Ricky Ponting
6. Neil Harvey
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Ray Lindwall
9. Shane Warne
10. Dennis Lillee
11. Glenn McGrath

Chappell and Simpson are probably the greatest slip fielders Australia has had. Ponting and Harvey two of the greatest in the cover/point areas. Bradman a very good cover fieldsman.
I like that XI, though I would give some serious consideration to Davo for Lindwall for some LFM variation.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year

At present:

1. Bob Simpson
2. Arthur Morris
3. Don Bradman
4. Greg Chappell
5. Ricky Ponting
6. Neil Harvey
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Ray Lindwall
9. Shane Warne
10. Dennis Lillee
11. Glenn McGrath

As I had mentioned in the other thread, really love this team as I always personally felt that two leg spinners was over kill, that Lindwall was the better bowler than Miller and a quite decent bat and Miller at 5 weakens the batting. Still strange not having him in the team, but hard to get him in with out throwing off the team balance. The ultimate 12th man though.
How insane though is the slip cordon of Simpson, Chappell and Harvey/Ponting to Lindwall, Lillee and Mcgrath.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As I had mentioned in the other thread, really love this team as I always personally felt that two leg spinners was over kill, that Lindwall was the better bowler than Miller and a quite decent bat and Miller at 5 weakens the batting. Still strange not having him in the team, but hard to get him in with out throwing off the team balance. The ultimate 12th man though.
How insane though is the slip cordon of Simpson, Chappell and Harvey/Ponting to Lindwall, Lillee and Mcgrath.
Warne a decent slipper too.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I think he is a great slipper, but I get shouted down here every time I say that. He is a better fit at third slip and that would allow Ponting and Harvey, two of the greatest fielders ever to roam the covers /gully with Bradman.