• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg Chappell vs Ricky Ponting?

Greg Chappell vs Ricky Ponting?

• Total voters

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Until 07 would have said that Ponting was the best after Bradman, Australian or otherwise; but he's dropped off somewhat, or enough to probably side slightly with Chappell. But, other than him, I think Ponting should be making All-Time Australian XIs over Border and Waugh.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Best after Bradman, high praise indeed.
A bit high for me, but definately right up there as one of the big three of his era.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Don't think it's that close tbf I would have Waugh over Ponting too (though I think Waugh-Ponting is closer, definitely).

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I think he is a great slipper, but I get shouted down here every time I say that. He is a better fit at third slip and that would allow Ponting and Harvey, two of the greatest fielders ever to roam the covers /gully with Bradman.
He's an adequate slipper, decent, but not great. I can recall a few he dropped at 1st that he should have taken.

This one especially!

Shane Warne FAIL, Damien Fleming hat trick- ALMOST! - YouTube

Doesn't get a lot easier at 1st than that...

But yeh, with Simmo at 1st and G.Chappell at 2nd, having Warne at 3rd makes sense because then Ponting can go to point, Harvey to cover and Bradman over to mid wicket probably.

Briony

International Debutant
A lot of critics rate Punter as Australia's best ever after Bradman but I would rate Chappell above him.

Chappell was one of an elite group of players to average over fifty in an era when this was rare and his average would be even higher if they included WSC and the Rest of the World matches which coincided with the banned Saffie tour. Of course he never played tests against Zim. and Bangladesh and only one against SL.

Hadlee has always rated him the best batsman he bowled to.

Would rate him above Border. Border himself does and Chappell moved up to #3 in the early 80s because Border was struggling in that position.

Waugh couldn't be compared with Chappell because he batted down the order and steadfastly refused to face the music up higher.

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
A lot of critics rate Punter as Australia's best ever after Bradman but I would rate Chappell above him.

Chappell was one of an elite group of players to average over fifty in an era when this was rare and his average would be even higher if they included WSC and the Rest of the World matches which coincided with the banned Saffie tour. Of course he never played tests against Zim. and Bangladesh and only one against SL.

Hadlee has always rated him the best batsman he bowled to.

Would rate him above Border. Border himself does and Chappell moved up to #3 in the early 80s because Border was struggling in that position.

Waugh couldn't be compared with Chappell because he batted down the order and steadfastly refused to face the music up higher.
Good post. Ponting good; Chappell better.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Why did I think Ponting had a much higher Test average than 52-odd? I realize it will have gone down over the past few years but I genuinely thought he was a 56-averager and it would have gone down to 55 or 54 at the worst.

Anyway, it was probably Greg going by what I've heard and the fact that Punter is overrated quite a lot. Didn't have to face McGrath, Warne etc.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Went down a lot. Around 07 Ponting was averaging 60 after 100+ Tests played and it didn't look like slowing down. He had a fairly bad run to say the least for it to drop so low.

burr

State Vice-Captain
I'm sorry but anyone who thinks Waugh or Border is a better player is kidding themselves. I've no doubt that both would concede in terms of runs on the board and natural talent Ponting comfortably exceeded them. Chappell I accept may be seen as better, although I think a lot of that is people's belief that to associate with and glorify past players is to assert him or her self as a knowledgeable and learned historian of the game. We ALWAYS, and particularly on this forum, reify the past. Having said that, I hear Chappell was extremely graceful, which I myself am partial to.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I think Chappell was a better all-round batsman, and a little more consistent than Ponting, and I think he faced slightly better bowling attacks than Ponting.

I think in full-flight, not many in history can match Ponting. But I'd take Chappell over Ponting.

I think a lot of that is people's belief that to associate with and glorify past players is to assert him or her self as a knowledgeable and learned historian of the game.
I think that in a lot of other forums people just select modern players, so it'll always be "Hayden and Langer are the best openers ever ftw", or "Tendulkar has made 1,000,000,000 runs, so he's the best batsman ever". I like the fact that there is a good balance in this forum, and that people take the time to investigate the players from other eras, and critique them on evidence available against modern players (as tedious as it sometimes gets :)) As is currently happening between a few posters on the topic of Larwood.

MrPrez

International Debutant
I think that in a lot of other forums people just select modern players, so it'll always be "Hayden and Langer are the best openers ever ftw", or "Tendulkar has made 1,000,000,000 runs, so he's the best batsman ever". I like the fact that there is a good balance in this forum, and that people take the time to investigate the players from other eras, and critique them on evidence available against modern players (as tedious as it sometimes gets :)) As is currently happening between a few posters on the topic of Larwood.
It's definitely good that people consider older players. However, I agree with him on the point that there tends to be a definite bias towards rating older players above what they deserve. Ironically, Larwood is a great example.

Lots of olden players with poor stats have their value beefed up by olden-cricket-romantics due to their being "amazing players to watch." So was Herschelle Gibbs, for example, but you won't see anyone beefing up his reputation due to it.

L Trumper

State Regular
I think Chappell was a better all-round batsman, and a little more consistent than Ponting, and I think he faced slightly better bowling attacks than Ponting.

I think in full-flight, not many in history can match Ponting. But I'd take Chappell over Ponting.

I am imagining all this in Al Swearengen's voice. Need more **********s in the content. :)