View Poll Results: Greg Chappell vs Ricky Ponting?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Greg Chappell

    19 55.88%
  • Ricky Ponting

    8 23.53%
  • Equals

    4 11.76%
  • Steve Waugh, Allan Border etc.

    3 8.82%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35

Thread: Greg Chappell vs Ricky Ponting?

  1. #16
    Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    15,694
    Have always reckoned that G Chappell was a pretty underrated batsman, at least in these forums.. Whatever I have heard about his batting from his contemporaries is just awesome.. I think he would have been much more recognized but for his career co-inciding with a certain IVA Richards...
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

    Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.


    Check out this awesome e-fed:

    PWE Efed

  2. #17
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,263
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    The more I consider it, the less I am inclined to include Miller in my all time Australian XI.

    At present:

    1. Bob Simpson
    2. Arthur Morris
    3. Don Bradman
    4. Greg Chappell
    5. Ricky Ponting
    6. Neil Harvey
    7. Adam Gilchrist
    8. Ray Lindwall
    9. Shane Warne
    10. Dennis Lillee
    11. Glenn McGrath


    Like the combination of three left handers and four right handers in the top 7.
    Like the L/R opening combo.
    Bowling attack has serious venom, and is relentless.
    Chappell and Simpson can both bowl if required.
    Chappell and Simpson are probably the greatest slip fielders Australia has had. Ponting and Harvey two of the greatest in the cover/point areas. Bradman a very good cover fieldsman.
    I like that XI, though I would give some serious consideration to Davo for Lindwall for some LFM variation.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

  3. #18
    International Regular kyear2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    w.i
    Posts
    3,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    The more I consider it, the less I am inclined to include Miller in my all time Australian XI.

    At present:

    1. Bob Simpson
    2. Arthur Morris
    3. Don Bradman
    4. Greg Chappell
    5. Ricky Ponting
    6. Neil Harvey
    7. Adam Gilchrist
    8. Ray Lindwall
    9. Shane Warne
    10. Dennis Lillee
    11. Glenn McGrath


    Like the combination of three left handers and four right handers in the top 7.
    Like the L/R opening combo.
    Bowling attack has serious venom, and is relentless.
    Chappell and Simpson can both bowl if required.
    Chappell and Simpson are probably the greatest slip fielders Australia has had. Ponting and Harvey two of the greatest in the cover/point areas. Bradman a very good cover fieldsman.
    As I had mentioned in the other thread, really love this team as I always personally felt that two leg spinners was over kill, that Lindwall was the better bowler than Miller and a quite decent bat and Miller at 5 weakens the batting. Still strange not having him in the team, but hard to get him in with out throwing off the team balance. The ultimate 12th man though.
    How insane though is the slip cordon of Simpson, Chappell and Harvey/Ponting to Lindwall, Lillee and Mcgrath.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2


    W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

    S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

    Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

  4. #19
    International Regular stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    3,773
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    As I had mentioned in the other thread, really love this team as I always personally felt that two leg spinners was over kill, that Lindwall was the better bowler than Miller and a quite decent bat and Miller at 5 weakens the batting. Still strange not having him in the team, but hard to get him in with out throwing off the team balance. The ultimate 12th man though.
    How insane though is the slip cordon of Simpson, Chappell and Harvey/Ponting to Lindwall, Lillee and Mcgrath.
    Warne a decent slipper too.


  5. #20
    International Regular kyear2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    w.i
    Posts
    3,957
    I think he is a great slipper, but I get shouted down here every time I say that. He is a better fit at third slip and that would allow Ponting and Harvey, two of the greatest fielders ever to roam the covers /gully with Bradman.

  6. #21
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,507
    Until 07 would have said that Ponting was the best after Bradman, Australian or otherwise; but he's dropped off somewhat, or enough to probably side slightly with Chappell. But, other than him, I think Ponting should be making All-Time Australian XIs over Border and Waugh.
    ★★★★★

  7. #22
    International Regular kyear2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    w.i
    Posts
    3,957
    Best after Bradman, high praise indeed.
    A bit high for me, but definately right up there as one of the big three of his era.

  8. #23
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,750
    Don't think it's that close tbf I would have Waugh over Ponting too (though I think Waugh-Ponting is closer, definitely).
    Last edited by silentstriker; 02-10-2012 at 06:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  9. #24
    International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,434
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    I think he is a great slipper, but I get shouted down here every time I say that. He is a better fit at third slip and that would allow Ponting and Harvey, two of the greatest fielders ever to roam the covers /gully with Bradman.
    He's an adequate slipper, decent, but not great. I can recall a few he dropped at 1st that he should have taken.

    This one especially!

    Shane Warne FAIL, Damien Fleming hat trick- ALMOST! - YouTube

    Doesn't get a lot easier at 1st than that...

    But yeh, with Simmo at 1st and G.Chappell at 2nd, having Warne at 3rd makes sense because then Ponting can go to point, Harvey to cover and Bradman over to mid wicket probably.

  10. #25
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    389
    Warne's another famous drop is of KP at oval which led to the quip "Did he drop the Ashes?"

  11. #26
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    21,448
    haha.....I think I remember something of that sort......cbf looking it up
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

  12. #27
    International Debutant Briony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Twilight Zone
    Posts
    2,072
    A lot of critics rate Punter as Australia's best ever after Bradman but I would rate Chappell above him.

    Chappell was one of an elite group of players to average over fifty in an era when this was rare and his average would be even higher if they included WSC and the Rest of the World matches which coincided with the banned Saffie tour. Of course he never played tests against Zim. and Bangladesh and only one against SL.

    Hadlee has always rated him the best batsman he bowled to.

    Would rate him above Border. Border himself does and Chappell moved up to #3 in the early 80s because Border was struggling in that position.

    Waugh couldn't be compared with Chappell because he batted down the order and steadfastly refused to face the music up higher.

  13. #28
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by Briony View Post
    A lot of critics rate Punter as Australia's best ever after Bradman but I would rate Chappell above him.

    Chappell was one of an elite group of players to average over fifty in an era when this was rare and his average would be even higher if they included WSC and the Rest of the World matches which coincided with the banned Saffie tour. Of course he never played tests against Zim. and Bangladesh and only one against SL.

    Hadlee has always rated him the best batsman he bowled to.

    Would rate him above Border. Border himself does and Chappell moved up to #3 in the early 80s because Border was struggling in that position.

    Waugh couldn't be compared with Chappell because he batted down the order and steadfastly refused to face the music up higher.
    Good post. Ponting good; Chappell better.
    "In 2009 he lost his old, faded India cap, when it was stolen from a ground. He was very, very upset about it. It was dear to him and he was extremely proud to wear it."

    Vijeeta Dravid on her husband Rahul, March 2012

  14. #29
    State Vice-Captain MrPrez's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,092
    Why did I think Ponting had a much higher Test average than 52-odd? I realize it will have gone down over the past few years but I genuinely thought he was a 56-averager and it would have gone down to 55 or 54 at the worst.

    Anyway, it was probably Greg going by what I've heard and the fact that Punter is overrated quite a lot. Didn't have to face McGrath, Warne etc.
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

    Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

  15. #30
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,507
    Went down a lot. Around 07 Ponting was averaging 60 after 100+ Tests played and it didn't look like slowing down. He had a fairly bad run to say the least for it to drop so low.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Greg Chappell
    By Spikey in forum Testing Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 11:09 AM
  2. Caption Ricky Ponting
    By GIMH in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-09-2009, 05:47 PM
  3. Caption: Ricky Ponting pt II
    By pasag in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18-06-2009, 07:23 PM
  4. Caption : Ricky Ponting
    By biased indian in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 13-06-2009, 06:56 PM
  5. Ponting is better than Lara
    By sideshowtim in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 27-12-2007, 04:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •