• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hesson admits to no fewer than seven attempts on Taylor's life

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Mike Hesson Cagey Over Ross Taylor As Captain |... | Stuff.co.nz

So, apparently Mike Hesson is planning to dump Taylor as captain within the next couple of weeks on the basis of the following quote:

“All I can say is that Ross Taylor is the captain of the Black Caps and that's a board decision, and Ross and I are working pretty hard to get there at this tournament [Twenty20 World Cup in Sri Lanka]."

While the 'board decision' bit reads a bit bad, it seems to me to be his way of saying that the selection of the captain isn't his responsibility and as a result he can't really comment. The whole thing strikes me as rather poor journalism to be honest.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Tbf I've yet to see much of an endorsement from the Kiwis on the forum from Taylor after the India series.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Hamish Bidwell - behind Millmow only as the most despised journalist on the circuit.

Somewhere along the lines Brendon must have said hi to Bidwell, or cunningly sidled up to him in the knowledge he'd write a whole bunch of good stuff about him and try to heap as much pressure on Ross as possible.

I don't read anything into that apart from Hesson doesn't want to get into captaincy discussions ahead of the crunch time of his first major tournament.

Bidwell is certainly not well liked in Wellington. He did an interview with Michael Pollard last season, and Pollard isn't the most eloquent of speakers. So this hero kept all the ums, the wells, the you knows etc in the copy when he wrote it - when it's very standard practice to keep all that out. Which the players picked up on...and his next interview with Grant Elliott featured about a thousand intentional um/well/you knows with the offer of leaving those in as well. Don't think it was taken up.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Tbf I've yet to see much of an endorsement from the Kiwis on the forum from Taylor after the India series.
I'd rather have Brendon, but I think Ross has a decent cricket brain and is worth persisting with now he has the role. I thought he was quite good in the second Test in India.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
And in case you didn't believe me that Bidwell wants Brendon's babies (flows right off the tongue, as our Hamish wishes)...from his latest article:

Despite being in what Black Caps coach Mike Hesson has described as "the form of his life'', McCullum's brother Brendon spent a huge amount of time in the nets at Asgiriya yesterday. Having been the first in to bat, he finished as the last, going in a second time to keep working at his game.

He hit the ball miles too and will no doubt be wanting to do that for real tomorrow night.

Meanwhile Ross munched on KFC and directed the team bus to the wrong carpark. Maybe.

Howsie

International Captain
Somewhere along the lines Brendon must have said hi to Bidwell, or cunningly sidled up to him in the knowledge he'd write a whole bunch of good stuff about him and try to heap as much pressure on Ross as possible.
Isn't that the McCullum way? From what I've heard he's made quite a few "friends" amongst most of the high profile journalists in this country.

Feel for Ross, I really don't think the general cricketing public realise just how good he is. In regards to New Zealand cricket anyway. Yep, he's been a little on and off as captain but he's barely been in the job for more than five minutes. He'll settle eventually, imo he already seems a much better captain than Vettori ever was.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It could well be, not sure. He's more personable than Ross so certainly he'd be capable of it. I don't think Ross has embraced what a public image can do.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Baz is way better with the media which if we were picking a captain of the ABs would be critical. Ross is a bit bland with his answers. Dan was also an awesome interviewee - so candid and honest.

In terms of the role of captain my view is that it isn't that important. I would rate most captains an 8 out of 10. So as long as you don't pick an idiot you will do ok whoever is captain. Cricket games are won and lost by the players skills and not by special tactics 9 times out of 10.

This is my view. Nothing would change with our winning record if Baz took over.

Taylor is fine. He captained us to victory at Hobart