Cricket Player Manager
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: South African Domestic Season 2012/13

Rory was a complete disgrace at the Gabba but I thought he bowled really well in Adelaide, especially since the pitch was a completely road and he's quite dependant on movement off the pitch. He's never going to be a Test standard bowler but I've definitely seen worse second reserves around.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by jan View Post
    EDIT: off-topic question as I got curious now - whats the first laguage of the members of Proteas squad? English and/or Afrikaans?
    From the test squad down under -

English 1st language - Smith, Kallis, Elgar, Amla, McLaren, Steyn

Afrikaans 1st language - Rudolph, De Villiers, Du Plessis & Morkel

Its tough to say with the cape coloureds Petersen, Duminy, Philander, Kleinveldt & Robbie P because I would say they speak both but mainly English.

Xhosa speaking - Tsolekile

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Rory was a complete disgrace at the Gabba but I thought he bowled really well in Adelaide, especially since the pitch was a completely road and he's quite dependant on movement off the pitch. He's never going to be a Test standard bowler but I've definitely seen worse second reserves around.
    Fair assessment.

Nerves definitely got the better of him at the Gabba.

At certain times he has out-performed Vernon domestically so he can say that if Vern can do it so can I.

I think a positive Vern and Rory have had is that they have bowled a lot on one of the flatest pitches in the country at the out ground in Paarl for the Cobras so they know how to do the hard work for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    From the test squad down under -

English 1st language - Smith, Kallis, Elgar, Amla, McLaren, Steyn

Afrikaans 1st language - Rudolph, De Villiers, Du Plessis & Morkel

Its tough to say with the cape coloureds Petersen, Duminy, Philander, Kleinveldt & Robbie P because I would say they speak both but mainly English.

Xhosa speaking - Tsolekile
    Those who came from PE are most likely English first language. Robbie P is definitely given that he went to Alexander Road High.
    Last edited by popepouri; 03-12-2012 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by popepouri View Post
    Those who came from PE are most likely English first language. Robbie P is definitely given that he went to Alexander Road High.

Agree with that. Thats why I said they are mainly English. Robbie P's christian name and middle name are English but then again Wayne Dillon Parnell also sounds English but he actually was Afrikaans and got a bursary to Grey High and lived with his English teacher who taught him English. Ashwell Prince, Alviro Petersen, Wayne Parnell, Robin Peterson and Garnett Kruger all grew up in the same suburb of Gelvondale in Port Elizabeth.

I would say Vernon and Rory are mainly English speaking but I suspect people in JP's family spoke afrikaans though but he speaks English clearly and went to the same school as Rory in Plumstead.
    Last edited by SeamUp; 03-12-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Don't want to sound like a **** here, but Vernon's English seems pretty poor if that's his first language. I always assumed he was a primarily Afrikaans guy for that reason alone. Maybe he's just a nervous public speaker.

Don't want to sound like a **** here, but Vernon's English seems pretty poor if that's his first language. I always assumed he was a primarily Afrikaans guy for that reason alone. Maybe he's just a nervous public speaker.
    Think it is the nerves and hence he stutters. Obviously !

He speaks worse than Morne and I'm surprised how bad he is in front of the cameras given that he receives training for that kind of stuff and he's been in FC cricket for a while.

I'm going to assume he has a speech impediment.

From the last u19 WC... 3 franchise debuts in Quinton De Kock, Prenelan Subrayen and Lizaad Williams so far this season. With Chad Bowes, Calvin Savage, Solo Nqweni and Corne Dry travelling as part of a squad. Swing bowler,Travis Muller, who missed out on slection is doing well for WP amateur side though.

The next future stars of South African cricket are in action. First up its the famous Khaya Majola Cricket Week (Formerly the Nuffield Week) from 16-21 DEC that has produced so many of the stars that have played for South Africa pre and post isolation. So many famous stories from the famous partnership between Barry Richards and Lee Irvine to Herschelle Gibbs and Jacques Kallis batting together. The SA schools side to be named and to be edged in South African cricketing history. Of the current test squad out in Australia only Alviro Petersen and Imran Tahir didn't compete in this annual event.

Following the Coke Week is the Franchise Cubs week where the SA u19 squad will be named at the beginning of January. 2 Tests and 5 ODI's against the English.

Names to look out for by Province for the Khaya Majola Week -

Western Province - David Bedingham 18 (c), Dayyaan Galiem 15 , Clyde Fortuin 17
    Boland - Jan Frylinck 18 (c)
    Eastern Province - Lloyd Brown 17 (c), Brad Bopp 17 , Anrich Nortje 19
    KZN Coastal - Senuran Muthusamy 18 (c), Sibonela Makhanya 16, Andile Phelukwayo 16, Kyle Simmonds 18 , Craig Kirsten 18
    KZN Inland - Greg Oldfield 17, Daryn Dupavillon 18
    Free State - Hanco Olivier 17, Nico Loubser 16
    Griquas - Diego Rosier 18 (c)
    Gauteng - Yaseen Valli 17, Bradley Dial 17, Shaylen Pillay 18 (c)
    Northerns - Leus Du Plooy 17
    Easterns - Jurie Snyman 17, Vincent Moore 18 (c)

SENURAN MUTHUSAMY
    Player Profile: Senuran Muthusamy | School Sports News

KYLE SIMMONDS
    Player Profile: Kyle Simmonds | School Sports News

DARYN DUPAVILLON
    Player Profile: Daryn Dupavillon | School Sports News

LEUS DU PLOOY
    Player Profile: Leus du Plooy | School Sports News

LLOYD BROWN
    Player Profile: Lloyd Brown | School Sports News

YASEEN VALLI
    Player Profile: Yaseen Valli | School Sports News

JURIE SNYMAN
    Player Profile: Jurie Snyman | School Sports News

DAVID BEDINGHAM
    Mr Price Heroes::News

Cricket: David Bedingham- Best Gloveman in SA?

DAYYAAN GALIEM
    Cricket feature: Dominant Dayyaan from Rondebosch

SHAYLEN PILLAY
    Cricket: King Edward

DIEGO ROSIER, JAN FRYLINCK & CRAIG KIRSTEN made the SA schools side last year and VINCENT MOORE the SA colts side (2nd side) and have another chance this year. No profiles but quality cricketers.
    Last edited by SeamUp; 03-12-2012 at 01:45 PM.

He speaks worse than Morne and I'm surprised how bad he is in front of the cameras given that he receives training for that kind of stuff and he's been in FC cricket for a while.

I'm going to assume he has a speech impediment.
    That is definitely the case and the fact he isn't the most/best educated coming from Belville in the Northern suburbs of Cape Town and not attending the best of schools.
    Last edited by SeamUp; 03-12-2012 at 01:47 PM.

I hope to see Yaseen Valli and Yaseen Vallie on the same pitch some day just to mess with people.

I like the stocks of long tall fast bowlers come through the ranks with Corne Dry and Calvin Savage.

jan
    Cheers SeamUp for linguistic plug .)

Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    I have seen a few pictures of Snyman but I didnt think he was 1.95 cms and 95 kgs, big boy he is! Smith-like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    Darn, at his age, I didn't know one needed to insert and ejaculate manship in womanship to create childship!
    left-handed batsman, right-arm crap bowler, grainy streams watcher

I hope to see Yaseen Valli and Yaseen Vallie on the same pitch some day just to mess with people.

I like the stocks of long tall fast bowlers come through the ranks with Corne Dry and Calvin Savage.
    That would be something. Good to see Vallie getting time in the middle in the limited overs stuff for the Cobras as well now. No more overseas signing in Owais Shah to block him and Van Zyl playing in the LO stuff ! Had a good knock at Newlands the other night got 52 and Van Zyl got 86. Quality partnership. There was talk other franchises wanted to signe Vallie in the off season but the Cobras convinced him to stay.

The 17 year old Valli at KES is having a quality schoolboy season and club season for Old Edwardians. Will be a name to keep an eye on as quality openers come through less frequently.

I think the depth of our fast bowling will only grow in the next couple of years with the u19 lads joining the franchise scene to join the likes of Morris, Viljoen and De Lange etc
    Last edited by SeamUp; 04-12-2012 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jan View Post
    Cheers SeamUp for linguistic plug .)

I have seen a few pictures of Snyman but I didnt think he was 1.95 cms and 95 kgs, big boy he is! Smith-like
    No probs mate.

Definitely seems a big lad from the pictures. I haven't seen him in action yet but the talk is that he is something special.

I see that Thomas Kaber played in a recent Northerns game after 3 years of little or no news.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread Information