• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2012/13

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Don't want to sound like a **** here, but Vernon's English seems pretty poor if that's his first language. I always assumed he was a primarily Afrikaans guy for that reason alone. Maybe he's just a nervous public speaker.

SeamUp

International Coach
Don't want to sound like a **** here, but Vernon's English seems pretty poor if that's his first language. I always assumed he was a primarily Afrikaans guy for that reason alone. Maybe he's just a nervous public speaker.
Think it is the nerves and hence he stutters. :ph34r: Obviously ! :D

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
He speaks worse than Morne and I'm surprised how bad he is in front of the cameras given that he receives training for that kind of stuff and he's been in FC cricket for a while.

I'm going to assume he has a speech impediment.

SeamUp

International Coach
From the last u19 WC... 3 franchise debuts in Quinton De Kock, Prenelan Subrayen and Lizaad Williams so far this season. With Chad Bowes, Calvin Savage, Solo Nqweni and Corne Dry travelling as part of a squad. Swing bowler,Travis Muller, who missed out on slection is doing well for WP amateur side though.

The next future stars of South African cricket are in action. First up its the famous Khaya Majola Cricket Week (Formerly the Nuffield Week) from 16-21 DEC that has produced so many of the stars that have played for South Africa pre and post isolation. So many famous stories from the famous partnership between Barry Richards and Lee Irvine to Herschelle Gibbs and Jacques Kallis batting together. The SA schools side to be named and to be edged in South African cricketing history. Of the current test squad out in Australia only Alviro Petersen and Imran Tahir didn't compete in this annual event.

Following the Coke Week is the Franchise Cubs week where the SA u19 squad will be named at the beginning of January. 2 Tests and 5 ODI's against the English.

Names to look out for by Province for the Khaya Majola Week -

Western Province - David Bedingham 18 (c), Dayyaan Galiem 15 , Clyde Fortuin 17
Boland - Jan Frylinck 18 (c)
Eastern Province - Lloyd Brown 17 (c), Brad Bopp 17 , Anrich Nortje 19
KZN Coastal - Senuran Muthusamy 18 (c), Sibonela Makhanya 16, Andile Phelukwayo 16, Kyle Simmonds 18 , Craig Kirsten 18
KZN Inland - Greg Oldfield 17, Daryn Dupavillon 18
Free State - Hanco Olivier 17, Nico Loubser 16
Griquas - Diego Rosier 18 (c)
Gauteng - Yaseen Valli 17, Bradley Dial 17, Shaylen Pillay 18 (c)
Northerns - Leus Du Plooy 17
Easterns - Jurie Snyman 17, Vincent Moore 18 (c)

SENURAN MUTHUSAMY
Player Profile: Senuran Muthusamy | School Sports News

KYLE SIMMONDS
Player Profile: Kyle Simmonds | School Sports News

DARYN DUPAVILLON
Player Profile: Daryn Dupavillon | School Sports News

LEUS DU PLOOY
Player Profile: Leus du Plooy | School Sports News

LLOYD BROWN
Player Profile: Lloyd Brown | School Sports News

YASEEN VALLI
Player Profile: Yaseen Valli | School Sports News

JURIE SNYMAN
Player Profile: Jurie Snyman | School Sports News

DAVID BEDINGHAM
Mr Price Heroes::News

Cricket: David Bedingham- Best Gloveman in SA?

DAYYAAN GALIEM
Cricket feature: Dominant Dayyaan from Rondebosch

SHAYLEN PILLAY
Cricket: King Edward

DIEGO ROSIER, JAN FRYLINCK & CRAIG KIRSTEN made the SA schools side last year and VINCENT MOORE the SA colts side (2nd side) and have another chance this year. No profiles but quality cricketers.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
He speaks worse than Morne and I'm surprised how bad he is in front of the cameras given that he receives training for that kind of stuff and he's been in FC cricket for a while.

I'm going to assume he has a speech impediment.
That is definitely the case and the fact he isn't the most/best educated coming from Belville in the Northern suburbs of Cape Town and not attending the best of schools.

Last edited:

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
I hope to see Yaseen Valli and Yaseen Vallie on the same pitch some day just to mess with people.

I like the stocks of long tall fast bowlers come through the ranks with Corne Dry and Calvin Savage.

SeamUp

International Coach
I hope to see Yaseen Valli and Yaseen Vallie on the same pitch some day just to mess with people.

I like the stocks of long tall fast bowlers come through the ranks with Corne Dry and Calvin Savage.
That would be something. Good to see Vallie getting time in the middle in the limited overs stuff for the Cobras as well now. No more overseas signing in Owais Shah to block him and Van Zyl playing in the LO stuff ! Had a good knock at Newlands the other night got 52 and Van Zyl got 86. Quality partnership. There was talk other franchises wanted to signe Vallie in the off season but the Cobras convinced him to stay.

The 17 year old Valli at KES is having a quality schoolboy season and club season for Old Edwardians. Will be a name to keep an eye on as quality openers come through less frequently.

I think the depth of our fast bowling will only grow in the next couple of years with the u19 lads joining the franchise scene to join the likes of Morris, Viljoen and De Lange etc

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Cheers SeamUp for linguistic plug .)

I have seen a few pictures of Snyman but I didnt think he was 1.95 cms and 95 kgs, big boy he is! Smith-like :)
No probs mate.

Definitely seems a big lad from the pictures. I haven't seen him in action yet but the talk is that he is something special.

SeamUp

International Coach
I see that Thomas Kaber played in a recent Northerns game after 3 years of little or no news.
I noticed that as well. Just went so quiet after he left school but last season he did well in the Northerns club league and has started well this season. With Harris getting injured and Von Berg shifting up to the Titans he got his chance. I hope he gets more than one 50 over game chance as well.

There was a recent spinners camp taken to India. I think we can see who is in the thoughts.

Dane Piedt (22) Right-arm off-spin
Siya Simetu (21) Slow left-arm
Simon Harmer (23) Right-arm off-spin
Tabraiz Shamsi (22) Slow left-arm chinaman
Eddie Leie (26) Right-arm leg-spin
Shaun Von Berg (26) Right-arm leg-spin

But only Piedt and Harmer have been franchise regulars in the 4-day stuff this season. Obviously Subrayen as well but still 19.

The spinners not included were -

The two limited overs spinners in Roelof Van der Merwe and Aaron Phangiso but they were playing for the 'A' side in Ireland. Right-arm off-spinner, Prenelan Subrayen, was with the SA u19 side along with Gauteng leg-spinner David Rhoda who got a 4-for in the 3rd play-off game but he is prob down the pecking order for Gauteng at the moment.

Kaber (slc) and Vaaltyn (rls) weren't included either but have talent and ability being former SA u19 players and hopefully will start to make strides.

The up and coming schoolboy spinners -

18 year olds - Kyle Simmonds (sla), Shaakir Abrahams (sla)
Not many standout 17 year olds. Mainly talented batsmen who bowl spin and that may be a concern with 17 year olds making up the large majority of the next u19 CWC in Dubai where we need spinners.
16 year olds - Sohail Mahmoud (rls)

There are a couple of 15 year olds who have started their first team careers at school well and should be standout names at the up-and-coming u15 week in right-arm leg spinner Dyllan Matthews (WP & Wynberg) and a left-arm spinner Sean Whitehead (FS & St Andrews).

SeamUp

International Coach
So Steyn pulls out of Big Bash to come home and represent the Cobras in the Play-off game on Sunday.

Faf will play for the Renegades on Friday and will be back for the play-off on Sunday depending upon whether the Titans make it.

Last round of Momentum One-Day Cup fixtures today.

Cobras v Titans @ Paarl
Warriors v Dolphins @ East London
Knights v Lions @ Kimberley

SeamUp

International Coach
Calvin Savage debuting for the Dolphins. Fourth player from the last u19 CWC to debut at franchise level. Got a wicket in his second over. Crunch game for the Dolphins.

Levi going crazy in Paarl and is consistently scoring runs.

Last edited:

sonnench

U19 12th Man
I still think Levi has a role to play in the Protea set up. He has been on a scoring frenzy, and seems to be a pretty good LA player. Based on form, I don't see why he shouldn't be in the ODI squad against N.Z

SeamUp

International Coach
I still think Levi has a role to play in the Protea set up. He has been on a scoring frenzy, and seems to be a pretty good LA player. Based on form, I don't see why he shouldn't be in the ODI squad against N.Z
Agree, somewhere along the line he will get another chance in the both limited overs versions. Could well be against New Zealand seeing as he is the leading ONe-Day Momentum Cup run scorer.

We know he can hit any pace bowler around in the world. Just quality spin in spinning conditions he needs to keep working on game plans.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
COBRAS v TITANS at Newlands on Sunday to decide who plays the LIONS at the Wanderers in the final.

Big decision for the Cobras and Titans. Do the Cobras include 6 players (Smith, Kallis, Peterson, Philander, Kleinveldt, Steyn (Duminy injured)) returning from Australia and do the Titans include 4 players (Rudolph, Faf, AB & M.Morkel).

SeamUp

International Coach
JET-LAGGED FAF TO FACE COBRAS

Cape Town - A jet-lagged Faf du Plessis will join his fellow Proteas players when the Cape Cobras and the Titans clash in the One Day Cup playoff, reports the Beeld website.

Du Plessis, the star in South Africa’s recent Test series win in Australia, will represent the Melbourne Renegades against the Melbourne Stars in Friday's Big Bash League, only to fly back to South Africa in time for Sunday's showdown here at Newlands.

The Titans will be strengthened by the return of three Proteas in AB de Villiers, Du Plessis and Morné Morkel, while their Cape opponents will have the luxury of picking Graeme Smith, Robin Peterson, Dale Steyn, Rory Kleinveldt and Vernon Philander.

JP Duminy and Jacques Kallis - who were injured on the Australian tour - will not be up for selection when the squads are announced on Friday.

The winner of Sunday's playoff will face the Highveld Lions in the final at the Wanderers next Friday. The Lions secured a home final after finishing top of the log.

The Cobras secured second spot after thrashing the Titans by 111 runs in Paarl on Wednesday, with the men from Pretoria holding onto third spot after the Dolphins lost to the Warriors in East London.

Play at Newlands starts from 10:00 on Sunday

SeamUp

International Coach
Graeme Smith✔ @GraemeSmith49
Pinned hard on elbow at cobras training this morn,hoping for miraculous recovery before training tomorrow #notideal

SeamUp

International Coach
COBRAS have decided to leave out Kallis and Philander from 14-man squad chosen for Sunday's Semi.

The Squad is as follows:

Alistair Gray
Andrew Puttick
Dale Steyn
Dane Vilas
Graeme Smith
Johann Louw
Justin Kemp
Justin Ontong (Captain)
Mohammed Vallie
Qaasim Adams
Richard Levi