• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2012/13

jan

State Vice-Captain
Who the hell is Snor? Google isnt really helpful with this one...

And is it common that its raining cats and dogs (or cobras and dolphins) all over SA?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
FFS, give Adams a chance before you compare him to Snor.

Oh yes, they are both coloured, that must mean they will both be rubbish coaches

8-)
Let's keep race out of this, hey.

Although Spooony, 134 wickets at 33 as a spinner representing South Africa isn't down to novelty alone. He could at least bowl a bit. Better stats than Pat Symcox, Paul Harris and Imran Tahir, off the top of my head.

SeamUp

International Coach

Although Spooony, 134 wickets at 33 as a spinner representing South Africa isn't down to novelty alone. He could at least bowl a bit. Better stats than Pat Symcox, Paul Harris and Imran Tahir, off the top of my head.
Spot on. :D

SeamUp

International Coach
Phangiso and Van der Merwe have had decent Champions League's. Probably fighting it out for 2nd spinners spots in limited overs squads with Botha gone.

The three coastal spinners in Dane Piedt, Simon Harmer & Prenelan Subrayen all have talent but the first two need better limited overs campaings after impressing in the longer version and Subs is only 19.

SeamUp

International Coach
Who the hell is Snor? Google isnt really helpful with this one...

And is it common that its raining cats and dogs (or cobras and dolphins) all over SA?
Snor is our ex rugby union manager Peter De Villiers.

It has carried on slighly longer than normal but we have such varied weather patterns across the country really and cricket games seem to be meeting them at the moment.

Cape Town is Mediteranean climate. Winter rain and hot dry summers.
Durban is tropical so probably their best weather is in winter because while its warm in summer it can rain a lot and they have had loads recently.
Highveld obviously has regular afternoon thunder storms but they normally last only 30-45 mins
PE is windy and can have 4 seasons in one day.

Last edited:

Spooony

Banned

Nothing to do with race. Agree looking past that.

As for Symcox, Harris and Tahir is not coaching a franchise!

Did you know the SA rugby team was actually coached by John Smith and co? That is why we ended up with half a team of retirements. They made sure no young blood take over till they played when they wanted.

For Tsolikele issue well don't take a brain surgeon to figure out. Released by Cobra's he went pencil pushing leaving cricket behind Lions phoned him up and he got a SA contract to play cricket for SA despite being nowhere near cricket pushing pencils... Poor Kuhn and the rest of the keepers been playing their bean of were over looked for a office clerk.

SeamUp

International Coach
Interesting run of fixtures on the Proteas return.

Momentum One-Day Cup play-off game probably between the Cobras and Titans or Dolphins to get through to play the Lions in the final.

Then the Kiwis arrive and T20's coincide with a round of 4-day Sunfoil Series fixtures.

Then there is an Invitational XI or 'A' side game v NZL coinciding with another round of 4-day Sunfoil Series fixtures.

Places up for grabs in both the 'A' side and possibly the main side as well.

SeamUp

International Coach
Also interestingly there is an England u19 tour to South Africa.

The great thing is that there are two youth test matches as well. Haven't been any of those for the SA u19s for a while.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
You found this thread...excellent.

I was going to post why Wiese is batting so low for the Titans?

Also, Morris should be in the international setting.

SeamUp

International Coach
You found this thread...excellent.

I was going to post why Wiese is batting so low for the Titans?

Also, Morris should be in the international setting.
Batting at 7 in the one-day stuff. Suppose the top 5 all scored hundreds in the season (Davids, Kuhn, Mosehle, Van Jaarsveld & Behardien) and Albie Morkel is at 6. The batting has given them a chance of qualifying for the play-offs in the one-day stuff because their bowling bar Vd Merwe and Albie at times has been poor.

We could see a debut for Morris before the end of the season. Has been hitting between 145 and 150 at times and so has his new ball partner Hardus Viljoen. Hopefully Marchant De Lange is back in the new year as well.

jan

State Vice-Captain
SeamUp what do you think about Kleinveldt & Elgar's performance with the national team?
I have been following Cobras and RK has been performing well I would say but...how to put it..."but" immediately comes up :)

EDIT: off-topic question as I got curious now - whats the first laguage of the members of Proteas squad? English and/or Afrikaans?

Last edited:

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Batting at 7 in the one-day stuff. Suppose the top 5 all scored hundreds in the season (Davids, Kuhn, Mosehle, Van Jaarsveld & Behardien) and Albie Morkel is at 6. The batting has given them a chance of qualifying for the play-offs in the one-day stuff because their bowling bar Vd Merwe and Albie at times has been poor.

We could see a debut for Morris before the end of the season. Has been hitting between 145 and 150 at times and so has his new ball partner Hardus Viljoen. Hopefully Marchant De Lange is back in the new year as well.
I guess I should be more specific. Wiese should be ahead of Albie IMO.

SeamUp

International Coach
SeamUp what do you think about Kleinveldt & Elgar's performance with the national team?
I have been following Cobras and RK has been performing well I would say but...how to put it..."but" immediately comes up :)
Elgar hadn't played a lot of cricket in a long time. Only one FC match in the last 3 to 4 months with the rain about. Elgar is a gutsy player and will get another chance along the line hopefully in his customary opening position. When he gets in he scores big big hundreds, what an opener should do. I think he can cut the mustard at test level whenever he gets his next chance. He is well respected by the domestic players, domestic coaches, Gary Kirsten and the selectors for a reason.

Kleinveldt isn't a strike bowler. If he is to play it should be when Philander doesn't play and he can do the hard yards. In South Africa he will get more movement and that makes him a much tougher propsect. Done the hard yards domestically.

SeamUp

International Coach
I guess I should be more specific. Wiese should be ahead of Albie IMO.
I would agree with that but I suppose experience is pulling rank there and the belief that he needs time at the crease because in 4-day cricket he actually does well and averages over 40.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Rory was a complete disgrace at the Gabba but I thought he bowled really well in Adelaide, especially since the pitch was a completely road and he's quite dependant on movement off the pitch. He's never going to be a Test standard bowler but I've definitely seen worse second reserves around.

SeamUp

International Coach
EDIT: off-topic question as I got curious now - whats the first laguage of the members of Proteas squad? English and/or Afrikaans?
From the test squad down under -

English 1st language - Smith, Kallis, Elgar, Amla, McLaren, Steyn

Afrikaans 1st language - Rudolph, De Villiers, Du Plessis & Morkel

Its tough to say with the cape coloureds Petersen, Duminy, Philander, Kleinveldt & Robbie P because I would say they speak both but mainly English.

Xhosa speaking - Tsolekile

SeamUp

International Coach
Rory was a complete disgrace at the Gabba but I thought he bowled really well in Adelaide, especially since the pitch was a completely road and he's quite dependant on movement off the pitch. He's never going to be a Test standard bowler but I've definitely seen worse second reserves around.
Fair assessment.

Nerves definitely got the better of him at the Gabba.

At certain times he has out-performed Vernon domestically so he can say that if Vern can do it so can I.

I think a positive Vern and Rory have had is that they have bowled a lot on one of the flatest pitches in the country at the out ground in Paarl for the Cobras so they know how to do the hard work for the team.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
From the test squad down under -

English 1st language - Smith, Kallis, Elgar, Amla, McLaren, Steyn

Afrikaans 1st language - Rudolph, De Villiers, Du Plessis & Morkel

Its tough to say with the cape coloureds Petersen, Duminy, Philander, Kleinveldt & Robbie P because I would say they speak both but mainly English.

Xhosa speaking - Tsolekile
Those who came from PE are most likely English first language. Robbie P is definitely given that he went to Alexander Road High.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Those who came from PE are most likely English first language. Robbie P is definitely given that he went to Alexander Road High.

Agree with that. Thats why I said they are mainly English. Robbie P's christian name and middle name are English but then again Wayne Dillon Parnell also sounds English but he actually was Afrikaans and got a bursary to Grey High and lived with his English teacher who taught him English. Ashwell Prince, Alviro Petersen, Wayne Parnell, Robin Peterson and Garnett Kruger all grew up in the same suburb of Gelvondale in Port Elizabeth.

I would say Vernon and Rory are mainly English speaking but I suspect people in JP's family spoke afrikaans though but he speaks English clearly and went to the same school as Rory in Plumstead.

Last edited: