Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: South African Domestic Season 2012/13

Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryProtea View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts.

I’m still unconvinced by Dean Elgar. He hasn’t looked comfortable once in all the matches I’ve seen him and his technique doesn’t seem ideal to opening in bowler-friendly South African conditions. However, one could easily say the same about Smith and Dean’s first-class record seems to suggest otherwise. I’m not overly concerned so long as JP slots back in at 7 when fit.

Yeah, I’m not keen on him opening either. Don’t the Lions have another opener they can play so that Quinny can bat in the middle order? Does he play in a similar fashion to how he plays the limited overs stuff because his SR would indicate that he does? Let’s hope he has a strong season with some big scores to merit inclusion as a batsman alone (if AB hasn’t changed his mind by then).

From what I saw of Morris in the Champions League, he seems a hit the deck hard sort of bowler. His height should enable him to extract bounce, making him a good replacement for Morkel as you point out. Also, his batting will give us an incredibly strong tail. I don’t wish to be harsh on Morkel because he was our best bowler in Australia and he hasn’t been poor by any means over the last 12 months. It’s just that he goes through periods where he bowls wide and doesn’t pose the questions that he should like Steyn and Philander do. At some point, I’d like to see Morris (or Abbott) given a chance but I can’t really see where the selectors will get either of them into the first XI.

Also, do you think Simon Harmer can develop his game to push Robbie P/Tahir for a role as frontline Test spinner? What about the prospects of Subrayen over the next 4-5 years? I’m rather worried about how we will fare in the UAE/India/Sri Lanka because I can’t see Peterson and Tahir causing major worries like Swann and Panesar have in recent times for England.
    I have always been a fan of Deano's since his SA u19 captaincy days. He is a real good bloke with a real good mind for the game and is talented to get through some tough conditions in SA FC cricket to average mid 40's where he has to get through new balls. Like you say if technique was everything, Smith wouldn't be the great he is today. I don't think his technique is that bad anyway, he just puts a bit more weight on his back-foot getting ready to pounce on anything short and to play the fuller ball as late as possible. Many openers have been successful with that strategy. I agree though that early on he may try to play to square but that was a problem our very own coach had and averaged 45 in test cricket.

They did open with Dominic Hendricks who was batsman of 2010 u19 CWC. He finally stepped up as well. I found it strange though that for the last game Petersen batted 3 and Quinton continuted to open. Q is definitely a see-the-ball-hit-the-ball kind of a cricketer and with more gaps in the field with a slip cordon around and his ability to score around the dial he will always score fast in the red ball game I reckon.

I understand your point re: Morkel as he can waste deliveries and it can be hugely frustrating. But our coaching staff value his experience in the role he plays and tbh many batsmen around the world say how tough it is to face him when he gets it right. But I reckon now that he his getting close to 30 mark he better work even harder with players breathing down his neck and I'm sure Donald make sure he does.

You're right re: Morris and yesterday Donald labelled him a real gem and labelled Beuran Hednricks as a star in the making as he trained with the Proteas yesterday. Can't believe I forgot to mention Beuran above. He provides a left-arm option as well.

I think we have the talent in the spinning department but it may take time. We have our experienced spinners in Robbie P and Tahir but not many with a lot of experience under their belts in spinning terms. A lot of ours are in their early 20's still and not in the mid to late 20's zone and thats not including the LO's spinners in Phangiso and vd Merwe. For example Dane Piedt (22), Simon Harmer (23), Keshav Maharaj (22), Prenelan Subrayen (19) are the finger spinners. Harmer is the closest out of all of them but I want him to regularly take wickets for SA 'A' now and play in Asian conditions. Subrayen needs to gain confidence after the bowling action issue and Maharaj is in fine form so he has competition.Our wrist spinners are Eddie Leie (26) but he is behind Tahir at the Lions & Shaun Von Berg (26) but he is too inconsistent for my liking and may face comeptition for his spot from Thomas Kaber (20) in next season's Sunfoil Series at the Titans. These spinners all went on a training camp to India so CSA are trying to grow their games.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasimione View Post
    From what i have observerd Morris and Abbot have the necessary tools for Test Cricket. As for Spinners, Harmer needs to do a lil bit more to get a gig. Talented player he is but Robin has done all thats veen asked of him so cant't be discarded. As for Viljoen, from what i have seen he can bowl really really fast an intimidate batsmen. problem is, he relies on raw pace and nothibg else. Gqamane is an interesting case, how he gets wickets i have no idea.
    Agree re: Harmer, he needs to keep growing his game. He struggles in the limited overs at times because he struggles to change his pace enough. When it gets to the red ball he can land the ball in good spots and can rip it but the white ball game is different story.
    Last edited by SeamUp; 13-02-2013 at 05:45 AM.

U19 Cricketer
    I have to say I think our reserves are looking pretty healthy.

We could put out an A team which would do pretty well against the middling Test nations I think.

It can probably be attributed to the Franchise system. One can see this Strength-vs-Strength system is probably one of the main reasons why SA is the best Test side in the world at the moment.

I've still never seen Harmer bowl. Really keen.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quinny de Kock 126* off 69 balls to take the Lions home on Potchefstroom Highway. Highest T20 score by a batsman in South Africa.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    No, SuperSport (4 day games) haven't been covered in years.

Separate note, South African domestic 20/20 will now be shown on UK TV as part of Sky's new deal with CSA.
    Does anyone know when this will start? Would have been good to catch de Kock's innings.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Does anyone know when this will start? Would have been good to catch de Kock's innings.
    Friday was meant to be the first live televised game but rain hit Durban again.

Both games yesterday weren't shown live.

Next live game is Titans v Lions on Wed.

SA U19 squad for the ODI series vs England

Back-row :
    David Bedingham, Daryn Dupavillon, Greg Oldfield, Brad Dial, Murray Coetzee, Jason Smith, Kagiso Rabada, Corbin Bosch, Tshepo Moreki, Andries Gous, Ngazibini Sigwili, Sine Ntshona

Front-row :

Clyde Fortuin, Yaseen Valli & Diego Rosier
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interview and highlights with Oldfield

Greg Oldfield - 82 v England - YouTube

Interview and highlights with Fortuin

Clyde Fortuin Man of the Match - 1st Youth ODI - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    SA U19 squad for the ODI series vs England

Back-row :
    David Bedingham, Daryn Dupavillon, Greg Oldfield, Brad Dial, Murray Coetzee, Jason Smith, Kagiso Rabada, Corbin Bosch, Tshepo Moreki, Andries Gous, Ngazibini Sigwili, Sine Ntshona

Front-row :

Clyde Fortuin, Yaseen Valli & Diego Rosier
    Fantastic. Two boys I coached at school in there though I was involved more with one than the other.

Edit- just saw the England series is well under way. Oh well. Good to see that they both played and SA are doing well.
    Last edited by Goughy; 18-02-2013 at 07:53 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Fantastic. Two boys I coached at school in there though I was involved more with one than the other.
    Pretoria High School Old Boys Coetzee & Bosch if I hazard a guess. Something of interest, Bosch's father Tertius and him are the first father and son pairing to wear the green and gold since unity.

Did you ever work with David Bunn also ?
    Last edited by SeamUp; 18-02-2013 at 07:56 AM.

Pretoria High School Old Boys Coetzee & Bosch if I hazard a guess.

Did you ever work with David Bunn also ?
    I didn't directly. He was a year or so older and I was bringing the younger age group through. He was, and still probably is, exceptional and I chatted extensively about his game with other coaches. I can't claim even the slightest of role in his success though.

SA u19, KES & Lions all-rounder, Yaseen Valli, captained the SA u19s in the last game and has the inside track to do so in the u19 WC in Dubai next year.

Was called up by the Highveld Lions for a pre-season fixture last year.

KES

Here he talks about 3rd ODI captaincy and his fellow KES team-mates who were struck by lightning.

Yaseen Valli - SA U19 captain - YouTube
    Last edited by SeamUp; 18-02-2013 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I didn't directly. He was a year or so older and I was bringing the younger age group through. He was, and still probably is, exceptional and I chatted extensively about his game with other coaches. I can't claim even the slightest of role in his success though.
    Fair enough. Its good to see him doing quite well of late.

He broke all the records at St Alban's College. Opened the batting with Quinton de Kock for SA Schools. He recently did well for the Titans High Performance side against the full Titans team. Hope he keeps working hard and gets a gig at the Titans.

Border left-arm seamer, Ngazibini Sigwili, with 4-34 yesterday to help make it 4-0 to South Africa u19s.

Ngazibini Sigwili - 4/34 v England U19 - YouTube

Quinny de Kock 126* off 69 balls to take the Lions home on Potchefstroom Highway. Highest T20 score by a batsman in South Africa.

Better than Elgar.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread Information