• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2012/13

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Started last week.

de Kock's first hundred in franchise cricket, currently 166* (career best).
A good Champions League and he should be playing international cricket before the season ends.

Briony

International Debutant
Started last week.

de Kock's first hundred in franchise cricket, currently 166* (career best).
A good Champions League and he should be playing international cricket before the season ends.
Can't see how they can justify that older keeper ahead of him. And he's opening the batting too. Perhaps he could keep and either Duminy or Rudolph would miss out against us.

MrPrez

International Debutant
170* out of 271 at lunch. Immense.

If he keeps up his good form I'd like to see him get a shot before the season's out - I've been one who has been promoting him being held back but he's just so good.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
170* out of 271 at lunch. Immense.

If he keeps up his good form I'd like to see him get a shot before the season's out - I've been one who has been promoting him being held back but he's just so good.
20/20 against NZ on Boxing Day.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Can't see how they can justify that older keeper ahead of him. And he's opening the batting too. Perhaps he could keep and either Duminy or Rudolph would miss out against us.
No way is he playing or touring Aus but think he might get a gig in the ODIs or 20/20s against NZ or Pak. This is only de Kock's 3rd franchise game.

Gone now, scored 194.

Briony

International Debutant
No way is he playing or touring Aus but think he might get a gig in the ODIs or 20/20s against NZ or Pak. This is only de Kock's 3rd franchise game.

Gone now, scored 194.
But if he can do well in the longer form why not promote him early like they did with Boucher? Australia is playing some people in ill-suited forms of the game. It would certainly ease the burden on AB. You'd have to back him to do as well as keeper and AB's runs dried up somewhat in the tests against England partly perhaps because of his keeping duties.

SeamUp

International Coach
Cool, I'll have a look out for that. I presume a few overseas players will be involved?
There normally are a few (last year there was Owais Shah, Brad Hogg, Dirk Nannes & Sohail Tanvir & Alfie Thomas plays as an overseas player as well and Chris Gayle/Shaun Tait pulled out with injury) but with only 6 franchises I prefer our own young players to get some opportunities.

SeamUp

International Coach
SQUADS

NASHUA MOBILE CAPE COBRAS Coach: Paul Adams

Batsmen: Andrew Puttick, Alistair Gray, Stiaan Van Zyl, Justin Ontong, Justin Kemp, Richard Levi, Yaseen Vallie, Qaasim Adams
Keeper: Dane Vilas
Spinners: Dane Piedt, Siya Simetu
Fast bowlers: Rory Kleinveldt, Johann Louw, Charl Langelveldt, Beuran Hendricks,Monde Zondeki

SA Contracted: Graeme Smith, Jacques Kallis, JP Duminy, Robin Peterson, Dale Steyn, Vernon Philander

Semi-Pro WP & Boland players to watch:
Batsmen: Michael Pote & Matthew Kleinveldt
Fast bowlers: Chad Fortune, Brendan Young, Travis Muller, Lizaad Williams (rookie), Jan Frylinck, Rabian Engelbrecht

CHEVROLET WARRIORS Coach: Piet Botha

Batsmen: Michael Price, Kelly Smuts, Jon-Jon Smuts, Ashwell Prince, Arno Jacobs, Craig Thyssen, David White, Colin Ackermann, Justin Kreusch
Keepers: Davy Jacobs, Athenkosi Dyili
Spinner: Simon Harmer
Fast bowlers: Rusty Theron, Andrew Birch, Gurshwin Rabie, Basheer Walters, Makhaya Ntini, Lyall Meyer, Aya Gqamane

SA Contracted: Colin Ingram, Wayne Parnell

Semi-Pro EP, SWD, BOR:
Batsmen: Christiaan Jonker, James Price
Spinner: Lionel Vaaltyn
Fast bowler: Solo Nqweni

SUNFOIL DOLPHINS Coach: Lance Klusener

Batsmen: Divan Van Wyk, Imraan Khan, Jonathan Vandiar, Vaughn Van Jaarsveld, David Miller, Cody Chetty, Ahmed Amla, Khaya Zondo, Cameron Delport
Keeper: Daryn Smit
Spinners: Prenelan Subrayen, Keshav Maharaj
Fast bowlers: Kyle Abbott, Craig Alexander, Robbie Frylinck, Mthokozisi Shezi, Dane Paterson

SA Contracted: Hashim Amla & Lonwabo Tsotsobe

Semi-Pro KZN C & KZN I

Batsmen: Chad Bowes, Bruce Kruger, Nash Govender
Spinner: Tabraiz Shamsi
Fast bowlers: Brandon Scullard, Calvin Savage, Craig Kirsten, Daryn Dupavillon

CHEVROLET KNIGHTS Coach: Sarel Cilliers

Batsmen: Dean Elgar, Reeza Hendricks, Rilee Rossouw, Ryan Bailey, Obus Pienaar, Michael Erlank, Gihahn Cloete
Keeper: Morne Van Wyk
Spinners: Werner Coetsee, Aubrey Swanepoel, Nicky Boje
Fast-bowlers: Ryan McLaren, Quinton Friend, Johan Van der Wath, Dillon Du Preez, Malusi Siboto. Shadley Van Schlakwyk

Semi-Pro FS & GW
Batsman: Diego Rosier
Fast bowlers: Duanne Olivier, Corne Dry

BIZHUB HIGHVELD LIONS Coach: Geoffrey Toyana

Batsmen: Stephen Cook, Gulam Bodi, Neil McKenzie, Zander De Bruyn, Temba Bavuma, Jean Symes, Dominic Hendricks, Devon Conway, Dwaine Pretorius
Keeper: Quinton De Kock
Spinners: Eddie Leie, Aaron Phangiso, Dale Deeb
Fast-bowlers: Chris Morris, Pumelela Matshikwe, Hardus Viljoen, Ethan O'Reilly, Cliffe Deacon

SA Contracted: Alviro Petersen, Thami Tsolekile & Imran Tahir

Semi-Pro batsman Shaylen Pillay & leg-spinner David Rhoda of Gauteng

NASHUA TITANS Coach: Matt Maynard

Batsmen: Pieter Malan, Henry Davids, Farhaan Behardien, Martin Van Jaarsveld, David Wiese, Tumelo Bodibe, Lesiba Ngoepe
Keepers: Heino Kuhn, Mangaliso Mosehle
Spinners: Paul Harris, Shaun Von berg, Roelof Van der Merwe, Eden Links
Fast-bolwers: Marchant De Lange, Ethy Mbhalati, Rowan Richards, CJ De Villiers

SA Contracted: Jacques Rudolph, AB De Villiers, Faf Du Plessis, Albie Morkel & Morne Morkel

Semi-Pro from Northerns & Easterns

Batsmen: Francois Le Clus, David Bunn, Theunis De Bruyn, Murray Coetzee
Spinner: Thomas Kaber
Fast-bowler: Vincent Moore

Last edited:

jan

State Vice-Captain
Following (or definitely try to) this season via Supersport and Cricinfo. No favourite team, only a few players. Seems @SuperSportCric twitter account is inactive and I didnt find any SS cricket-only one...

MrPrez

International Debutant
Am I the only one that missed the part where Lopsy left the Warriors? :down: Gutted.

Warriors not looking overly stocked in the bowling department for the first time in ages. Still decent depth though.

Good to see Gqamane in the squad, Bowling attack of Theron, Parnell, Birch and Harmer looks good to me and Lyall Meyer is good enough for when Parnell's away. Ntini really needs to GAGF, top bloke but way past it.

We're going to need a big season from the Smuts brothers and the two Jacobs - Kreusch must be close on retirement. Thyssen will also need to do something.

SeamUp

International Coach
Am I the only one that missed the part where Lopsy left the Warriors? :down: Gutted.

Warriors not looking overly stocked in the bowling department for the first time in ages. Still decent depth though.

Good to see Gqamane in the squad, Bowling attack of Theron, Parnell, Birch and Harmer looks good to me and Lyall Meyer is good enough for when Parnell's away. Ntini really needs to GAGF, top bloke but way past it.

We're going to need a big season from the Smuts brothers and the two Jacobs - Kreusch must be close on retirement. Thyssen will also need to do something.
Warriors weren't too happy about it either ! He didn't even contact them to talk about it. As he is SA contracted he can choose to play with any franchise if a deal can be sorted with them.

Theron out until December so Birch,Rabie & Walters will probably start this week and need to step up. Haven't seen Gqamane but interested to see him but don't think it will be long until Solo Nqweni is in the Warriors squad when he picks up loads of wickets for EP.

Davy Jacobs back is also big. Had injury problems and a slump in form but in good form pre-season. Interesting to see who keeps (D.Jacobs or Dyili) and who opens the batting for the Warriors.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Really pleased to see de Kock do so well. Really want South Africa to bring him in soon, as I don't think de Villiers keeping is a good long term option.

No, SuperSport (4 day games) haven't been covered in years.

Separate note, South African domestic 20/20 will now be shown on UK TV as part of Sky's new deal with CSA.
Oh sweet. The Big Bash league is also being covered on Sky this winter as well,

MrPrez

International Debutant
Yeah, Tsotsobe has a habit of being a bit of a contract-based badboy. Essex, for example.

Is Rabie really expected to play ahead of Meyer? Barely know anything about him (as is with most of the non-regulars in the squad as they're almost all EP players). Gqamane is pretty highly rated here in the Border - iirc he bowls mid/high 130s and swings it nicely. I may be wrong but I think he is a player that has been focused on big-time in terms of developing him into a quality player due to his race (although I doubt that will be the official statement). Will be interesting, definitely.

An in-form Davy Jacobs will be a vital cog in the batting line-up. Reckon Dyili should keep as it gives Jacobs less of a workload (and we need to keep him as fresh as possible).

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah, Tsotsobe has a habit of being a bit of a contract-based badboy. Essex, for example.

Is Rabie really expected to play ahead of Meyer? Barely know anything about him (as is with most of the non-regulars in the squad as they're almost all EP players). Gqamane is pretty highly rated here in the Border - iirc he bowls mid/high 130s and swings it nicely. I may be wrong but I think he is a player that has been focused on big-time in terms of developing him into a quality player due to his race (although I doubt that will be the official statement). Will be interesting, definitely.

An in-form Davy Jacobs will be a vital cog in the batting line-up. Reckon Dyili should keep as it gives Jacobs less of a workload (and we need to keep him as fresh as possible).
Its surprising because he doesn't seem to come across like that in interviews.

They backing Rabie. Brought him in from SWD and is a better bowler than Meyer. I'm hoping they ditch Meyer tbh don't rate him. Outside of Parnell & Theron I hope they go Birch, Rabie, Walters, Gqamane & Nqweni.

Thats good to hear about Gqamane. Coach Piet Botha said he will push big time this year and he is happy with his progression as well as Kelly Smuts & Simon Harmer.

I think they have to go Dyili keeper.

Probable team:

Michael Price
Kelly Smuts
JJ Smuts
Ashwell Prince
Colin Ingram
Davy Jacobs (*)
Athi Dyili (+)
Simon Harmer
Andrew Birch
Gurshwin Rabie
Basheer Walters

12th: Meyer or Gqamane

White, Ackermann, A.Jacobs & Thyssen miss out as batsmen.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Could anyone link me with a place where I can view the franchise averages of all the current South African players careers? The FC ones on their Cricinfo profiles include the, apparently shocking standard, 3 day cricket.

SeamUp

International Coach
Could anyone link me with a place where I can view the franchise averages of all the current South African players careers? The FC ones on their Cricinfo profiles include the, apparently shocking standard, 3 day cricket.
I wouldn't say its shocking tbh as its basically 2nd XI cricket like everywhere else. A lot of players who have done well in that cricket have gone into franchise cricket and thrived.

The only place I know of that seperates averages for all the teams you play for is Cricket Archive. Not sure if there is anywhere else.