• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Explain Maiden Over Rule

Afridi102o45

Cricket Spectator
I have a question about maiden over.

Lets suppose the following scenario:

Shoaib Akhtar has bowled 4 balls of the over and got injured and leaves the field. Then Abdur-Razzaq bowls the next 2 balls. Zero runs have been scored in this over.

So at the end of over:

.......................O M R W
Shoaib Akhtar: 0.4 ? 0 0
Abdur-Razzaq: 0.2 ? 0 0

Tell me in whose account the maiden over will go? And also please tell me how many number of overs can Shoaib Akhtar and Abdur-Razzaq bowl afrer this over in 50 overs match.

Thankyou very much.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Both bowlers would most likely bowl a further 9 overs maximum, making it 9.4 for Akhtar and 9.2 for Razzaq.

However, I don't think that's technically the maximum. If say Akhtar recovers from his genital warts and Saeed Ajmal gets called for chucking after bowling 5.4 overs, I don't think there is anything stopping Akhtar from bowling those 2 balls so he ends up bowling 10 overs.

Neither bowler would get the maiden over IMO. But I don't have concrete proof.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree as well, although I don't think the concept of a maiden over is actually recognised in the laws (no reason why it should be that I can think of) so in some ways its a matter of personal taste but convention seems to favour the no maiden approach - after all if you take the final wicket of the fifth ball of a scoreless over you don't get a maiden for that

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In a Test match in 07 Hoggard bowled 5 balls for no runs and then pulled up injured. Colly bowled a dot, neither got credited with a maiden

Afridi102o45

Cricket Spectator
In a Test match in 07 Hoggard bowled 5 balls for no runs and then pulled up injured. Colly bowled a dot, neither got credited with a maiden
Thanks a lot for a valuable piece of information. did hoggard ever come to complete his over, or the other bowler who bowled one ball? What happened then? Can you give cricinfo link of that match?

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
A maiden is a full over of dot balls from a single bowler where no runs are scored from the bat or at fault of the bowler (so no wides or no-balls), so to the OP that wouldn't be a maiden.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just one look at either of their noggins is enough to tell you they would have a hard time notching up a maiden.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks a lot for a valuable piece of information. did hoggard ever come to complete his over, or the other bowler who bowled one ball? What happened then? Can you give cricinfo link of that match?
A long time ago in site discussion I said you should get points if you're the best answer to a thread which starts as a question.