Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Just a Theory of mine

  1. #1
    State Vice-Captain harsh.ag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,443

    Just a Theory of mine

    The cricketing expert elite of today (here I refer to the expert panels, commentary panels, and so on) come more or less straight from the 70s and 80s. It seems to me that people of a certain era (any era) rate the players from that era, and that of the era just preceding it, more highly than players of other eras, be them bygone ones or later ones.

    Since the experts today come from the 70s and 80s, I often find myself wondering whether the greats of that era are slightly exaggerated in our heads because of the relentless expert fawning on their qualities (great though they undoubtedly were). I too started watching cricket in the late 70s. I guess I have some rose tinted glasses too. But I find it grossly unjust that the players from recent times are not considered as highly as some in the past. Could it be that the intellectual material being supplied to fuel the current cricketing debates is being tilted towards the era of the 70s and 80s?

    It may seem trivial, but then, what doesn't?

  2. #2
    International Captain ankitj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hyderabad India
    Posts
    5,858
    Not just your theory, itbt.

  3. #3
    International Captain Migara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colombo, SL
    Posts
    5,498
    Well known fact. That's why opinions should be rated lower than the data we have (or stats)
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

    I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

  4. #4
    State Vice-Captain harsh.ag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    Not just your theory, itbt.
    I guess I don't read up on cricket as much as you do. Actually I don't much at all. Sorry if this is a topic you guys have talked about before.


  5. #5
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Well known fact. That's why opinions should be rated lower than the data we have (or stats)
    So your opinion about the opinions of others is now a fact, eh?

    Wow.

    I'll just let that one sit there for a while, I think. Let it breathe.
    - As featured in The Independent.

    "Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

  6. #6
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    21,094
    I think that in the bygone eras the celebrities had a certain aura of mystery (inclcuding sportsmen) that is hard to find with the media explosion of the last decade or so the celebrities have lost that aura that they had and have lost their "larger than life" image. Just a theory that I have too
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

  7. #7
    International Captain Migara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colombo, SL
    Posts
    5,498
    BTW, did any one notice a raw nerve being touched?

  8. #8
    State Vice-Captain harsh.ag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    I think that in the bygone eras the celebrities had a certain aura of mystery (inclcuding sportsmen) that is hard to find with the media explosion of the last decade or so the celebrities have lost that aura that they had and have lost their "larger than life" image. Just a theory that I have too
    If you didn't have Imran Khan's pic as your avatar, I might have had to wonder where you were coming from here

    Kidding aside, this may apply to a very few individuals, like Imran and Viv. On the other hand we have "Curtly talk to no man" Amby.

  9. #9
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    BTW, did any one notice a raw nerve being touched?
    Nope, saw some shyte being spouted tho.

    Look, it's human nature to harken back to what piqued our interest in any sport in the first place and view one takes may be rose-tinted, but to call it a "well known fact" is to either misrepresent or be ignorant of what facts are.

  10. #10
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    21,094
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    If you didn't have Imran Khan's pic as your avatar, I might have had to wonder where you were coming from here

    Kidding aside, this may apply to a very few individuals, like Imran and Viv. On the other hand we have "Curtly talk to no man" Amby.
    Not really.....I am pretty sure that if Muhammad Ali was around in these days he probably wouldn't have quite the aura that he had in the 1970s

    The high supply of media has certainly impacted the value of celebrities in people's eyes.

  11. #11
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,255
    It is not something one can generalize. How does one decide such things? Look at Benaud's all time world XI to take one example.

    It reads (The figures in brackets are the year of Test debut for each player)

    Code:
    Hobbs (1908)          -44
    Gavaskar (1971)        	19
    Bradman (1928)         	-24
    Richards (1974)  	22
    Tendulkar (1989)	37
    Sobers (1954)    	2
    Imran (1971)      	19
    Gilchrist (1999)	47
    Warne (1992)     	40
    Lillee (1970)       	18
    Barnes (1901)    	-51
    Benaud himself made his debut in 1952. The second column gives the number of years, between the player's debut and Benaud's. Test your theory :o)

    Only Sobers is from Benaud's generation.

    Three players, Hobbs, Bradman and Barnes are from generations before him.

    All others are much younger - four of them are between 40 and 50 years after Benaud. I would like to say that Benaud is enamoured by people who came after him and it shows. Of course, I would be wrong as well.

    Yes some people are biased but generally that bias exists at the fan's level much more than at the level of those who are students of the game and make a profession out of writing about it.

    Needless to say there are always exceptions. By the way if you want more examples like Benaud I will be glad to provide but next time you have to pay for it :o))

    Kidding.

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    11,361
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    The cricketing expert elite of today (here I refer to the expert panels, commentary panels, and so on) come more or less straight from the 70s and 80s. It seems to me that people of a certain era (any era) rate the players from that era, and that of the era just preceding it, more highly than players of other eras, be them bygone ones or later ones.

    Since the experts today come from the 70s and 80s, I often find myself wondering whether the greats of that era are slightly exaggerated in our heads because of the relentless expert fawning on their qualities (great though they undoubtedly were). I too started watching cricket in the late 70s. I guess I have some rose tinted glasses too. But I find it grossly unjust that the players from recent times are not considered as highly as some in the past. Could it be that the intellectual material being supplied to fuel the current cricketing debates is being tilted towards the era of the 70s and 80s?

    It may seem trivial, but then, what doesn't?
    Could you give some specific examples?

    Most of the people I choose to listen to, and have in the past, generally don't conduct themselves like that.

    Nos suggesting you're wrong for one moment, just think its a bit of a sweeping statement

  13. #13
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    389
    it is also called Romanticism or Nostalgia ..Ask a 40 year old he would say 80's was the best..ask a 30 year old he would say 90's was the best and so on..some experts probably display this trait..
    Last edited by doesitmatter; 18-09-2012 at 09:35 AM.

  14. #14
    State Vice-Captain harsh.ag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    It is not something one can generalize. How does one decide such things? Look at Benaud's all time world XI to take one example.

    It reads (The figures in brackets are the year of Test debut for each player)

    Code:
    Hobbs (1908)          -44
    Gavaskar (1971)        	19
    Bradman (1928)         	-24
    Richards (1974)  	22
    Tendulkar (1989)	37
    Sobers (1954)    	2
    Imran (1971)      	19
    Gilchrist (1999)	47
    Warne (1992)     	40
    Lillee (1970)       	18
    Barnes (1901)    	-51
    Benaud himself made his debut in 1952. The second column gives the number of years, between the player's debut and Benaud's. Test your theory :o)

    Only Sobers is from Benaud's generation.

    Three players, Hobbs, Bradman and Barnes are from generations before him.

    All others are much younger - four of them are between 40 and 50 years after Benaud. I would like to say that Benaud is enamoured by people who came after him and it shows. Of course, I would be wrong as well.

    Yes some people are biased but generally that bias exists at the fan's level much more than at the level of those who are students of the game and make a profession out of writing about it.

    Needless to say there are always exceptions. By the way if you want more examples like Benaud I will be glad to provide but next time you have to pay for it :o))

    Kidding.
    I was actually about to add in my first comment that I think Benaud does not do so at all. Then I thought maybe that was superfluous since he is not from the 70s and 80s era.

  15. #15
    Cricket Spectator IamSpartacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    .... I find it grossly unjust that the players from recent times are not considered as highly as some in the past.
    On the other hand in 60 years time there will be a lot of people putting forward the "fact"
    that Ambrose and McGrath were 130km/h trundlers and Sachin Tendular was rubbish
    because [insert pet theory] and that their current hero is the best because in modern
    times [insert stuff about fitness and technology] ... this may also be grossly unjust but
    it's just what happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The American Politics thread
    By LongHopCassidy in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3407
    Last Post: 14-04-2014, 04:24 AM
  2. Help Requested- Vote for a mate of mine
    By Goughy in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23-07-2010, 04:13 PM
  3. Ode to spam
    By cover drive man in forum Testing Forum
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 31-05-2007, 09:43 PM
  4. a query for a friend of mine.
    By sledger in forum Cricket Web Downtime
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-02-2007, 12:38 PM
  5. Attn: Everyone!!(PLEASE RE-READ 1st POST - IT HAS CHANGED)
    By Blewy in forum Cricket Web XI Football
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 18-11-2006, 01:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •