Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just a Theory of mine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Shri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    BTW, did any one notice a raw nerve being touched?
    Yes.

I am proud of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Could you give some specific examples?

Most of the people I choose to listen to, and have in the past, generally don't conduct themselves like that.

Nos suggesting you're wrong for one moment, just think its a bit of a sweeping statement
    I guess what I am trying to say is that perhaps even I think in slightly the same way because all I get to hear is how marvelous the players from the 70s and 80s were everywhere I turn. Plus I do have rose tinted glasses myself as I confessed.

However, I think that some examples do come to mind. For me, a glaring example would be how the Barry Richards and Graeme Pollock generation continues to deny Jacques Kallis his place as the greatest SA batsman. Their short career span, however magnificent, only offered a glimpse into what could have been. Many great starts have turned into mediocrity later on.

Similarly, with respect to Ponting. Chappell continues his ascendancy over the brilliant Tasmanian in expert circles. Ponting's record is arguably the best ever after the Don, especially his peak. Even Border is hailed as being better by many.

Same goes for Sangakkara. He has not been admitted into the pantheon of great batsmen yet. Glen McGrath is a bowler ranked below many 80s bowlers by most commentators, for the life of me I can't figure out why. The word metronome is thrown around for a bowler who had enough variations in his bowling to dominate Tendulkar and Lara in Australia, the sub continent and the Caribbean.

Yeah, it's a fair point, but understandable. We always get nostalgic for memories from earlier periods in our life - childhood in particular. I do think the 70s and 80s though was a particularly special time in cricket - with people like Viv and Lillee, who had charisma in bag loads. I've no doubt in 20 years Australians at least will be looking back at the 90s/00s period and that crop of talent that rose from the Shield into the test arena and the current players - whomever they be - will be rated severely against those greats.

As for Ponting, surely no one thinks Border is a better batsman?!
    'It is hard to recall a batsman quite so serene, so unrushed, so unflappable.' Chris Ryan on ... look to the left. Ahhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by burr View Post
    Yeah, it's a fair point, but understandable. We always get nostalgic for memories from earlier periods in our life - childhood in particular. I do think the 70s and 80s though was a particularly special time in cricket - with people like Viv and Lillee, who had charisma in bag loads. I've no doubt in 20 years Australians at least will be looking back at the 90s/00s period and that crop of talent that rose from the Shield into the test arena and the current players - whomever they be - will be rated severely against those greats.

And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by doesitmatter View Post
    it is also called Romanticism or Nostalgia ..Ask a 40 year old he would say 80's was the best..ask a 30 year old he would say 90's was the best and so on..some experts probably display this trait..
    Haha. I was shocked when I caught myself saying that things were so good and pure in my times i.e. 90's. When in 90's though, I was constantly annoyed by the older generation constantly praising the world as it existed 70's.

These things that I am talking about had nothing to do with cricket but with music. But even with cricket, I seem to fondly remember 90's even though the Indian team was quite **** back then.
    Last edited by ankitj; 18-09-2012 at 12:21 PM.
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

U19 Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    Haha. I was shocked when I caught myself saying that things were so good and pure in my times i.e. 90's. When in 90's though, I was constantly annoyed by the older generation constantly praising the world as it existed 70's.

These things that I am talking about had nothing to do with cricket but with music. But even with cricket, I seem to fondly remember 90's even though the Indian team was quite **** back then.
    With all the techno computerized stuff to go along with bad lyrics in music nowadays i can understand the lament but w.r.t cricket it is difficult to differentiate between era's as there are so many variables uncovered pitches , covered pitches, no protection, lots of protection ,bats, fielding standards, pressure, number of games played,more countries playing cricket, better coaching , different conditions, travel,commercialization of the game..btw i am not an expert in both but i can play a good on-drive ..Yes i like 90's as well..

Quote Originally Posted by burr View Post

I think he meant Border over Chappell.

Not sure who would say that Chappell was better than Ponting?

Agree with them regarding what seems to me as overhyping of Pollock and Richards.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information