• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If England were to get bowled out relatively early tommorow, should Dhoni enforce the follow on or keep batting?

I suppose conventional wisdom says to enforce it, but how awesome would it be if the English bowlers had to bowl again so soon after spending almost 2 days in the field
I'd bat again for a little while unless there was rain forecast. As I said before, the conditions are only going to get worse, so there's no point giving England better conditions than you have to. Enforcing the follow one wouldn't give you more time to bowl England out anyway as if they batted that long they'd pass your score and make you bat again with the pitch at its worst. Obviously the idea would be to get a move on, but I'd bat again.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
At what point does Trott's place in the side come into question? Been utter pish for a year.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
At what point does Trott's place in the side come into question? Been utter push for a year.
When you start thinking you have better batsmen than him is my guess. I don't think you're anywhere near that at this point. Bad as he's been, Bell's been worse and you have both Samit Patel and a debutant in your top six. It's definitely a problem but not one that should go as far as the selection table.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I'd bat again for a little while unless there was rain forecast. As I said before, the conditions are only going to get worse, so there's no point giving England better conditions than you have to. Enforcing the follow one wouldn't give you more time to bowl England out anyway as if they batted that long they'd pass your score and make you bat again with the pitch at its worst. Obviously the idea would be to get a move on, but I'd bat again.
Yeah, theoretically I get what you're saying but practically I reckon they would cbf overthinking it and just go for the follow on.

EDIT:- All this is under the reasonably big assumption that we'll get them before 300, ofc.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, theoretically I get what you're saying but practically I reckon they would cbf overthinking it and just go for the follow on.

EDIT:- All this is under the reasonably big assumption that we'll get them before 300, ofc.
Yeah, I'm not making a prediction; I think they'd enforce it as well. By my logic the declaration should've come much later as well.

Seems like a rather one-sided affair but I am happy to see England in the position they are in. Fingers crossed for a 4-0 scoreline with kp, prior, trott failing and swanny picking up a few michelles. Tendulkar's time is up....been failing for too long. A shame really as he's the gratest batsman after Kallis since 1980 but his time has come.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Think Samit along with Pietersen is best equipped to deal with the spin. Quite a positive player from what I've seen who should be able to manoeuvre the ball for your one's and two's.

The_roc

U19 Captain
Ashwin now averages 26 with the ball and 38 with the bat, half-way into his 10th test.

Wonder where he will end up overall.
His bowling figures are inflated by having played home series against WI and NZ (not the most testing opposition). Away from home his test wickets are costing more than 60.

Teja.

Global Moderator
His bowling figures are inflated by having played home series against WI and NZ (not the most testing opposition). Away from home his test wickets are costing more than 60
I am aware that the extreme conditions that he has played on both at home or away* don't lend an aura of permanence to his current stats.

That is precisely why I said 'Wonder where he'll end up' as opposed to 'Look at how amazing Ashwin is, his initial statistics have to be taken at face value and he has to be considered the most balanced all-rounder of all-time!'

* - which you have conveniently side-stepped when it is to your point's disadvantage btw, you've found it important to state the two sides he's bowled against at home but you state his away record without qualification despite it being three tests in Australia.

Woodster

International Captain
India well on top here,obviously, but being the optimist I am looking forward to seeing how KP and Bell go tomorrow. Patel we know is also adept at playing, whether he'll have encountered anything quite like Ashwin in these conditions before I'm not so sure. Cook will hopefully do what he does, while not looking totally at ease with things he'll hopefully dig and grind out a score, finding a way to counter India's attack.

I think we gave them a wicket sending Jimmy in, it was tough for the top order to survive, Jimmy was sacrificed.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
**** decision to send in Jimmy at that stage having bowled for two days. What did we expect?

See you at 4am for the fightback.

Woodster

International Captain
Cook never looks wholly comfortable against spin on these decks, but he won't get phased if it does continually whizz past his outside edge, or bounces safely off his gloves. He has a method and he will trust it, just hope when the spinners are both on he can find a way to score. I know he worked hard on the slog sweep and played it a few times in Bangladesh I think,but don't recall seeing it too much in SL or the UAE. He may try and be a tad more postive against Ojha as averse to risking it against Ashwin. Though I'm sure he'll put away anything short and wide again.

KP and Bell are more likely to use their feet I reckon, while Cook just tries use the depth of his crease and a big stride. Bell we know struggled picking Ajmal, hope he can work out Ashwin a lot better.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Surely any decent first class batsman would be ashamed not to ton up on a slow Indian road like this?

:laugh:

Some of the posting has been embarrassing hey?

"Oh its not turning that much" cue 3-40 in less than an hour.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ganguly saying he bowled faster than Bresnan the highlight of last night's cricket overall btw :laugh: