Page 95 of 675 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145195595 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 10122

Thread: ***Official*** England in India

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Star have huge commentory team for this series english hindi combined...if sky was here more would have joined in....

Gavaskar,Kapil,Shastri,Rameez,Sidhu,Arun lal,Siva,dravid,ganguly,manjarekar,coolingwood,boy cott,ayaz,harsha....did i miss any one ?

only problem is like only 2-3 people in that
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    However, the reality is that he'd not have done too much better on this pitch.
    Completely disagree. If there was one bowler in the England setup who I feel would make serious inroads into their top order - I'd say Onions is most likely because he bowls a full length consistently.
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pup Clarke View Post
    Completely disagree. If there was one bowler in the England setup who I feel would make serious inroads into their top order - I'd say Onions is most likely because he bowls a full length consistently.
    he will be in action soon in a test match ....the way bresnan has bowled today

That was absolutely pathetic from England barring Swann. Dead set pitiful. Was Bresnan taking the piss? Bowling 120s outside off on this wicket? Bowl at the stumps and put some back into it ffs. And we're talking first session here so fatigue ain't an issue.

Went through the posts in this thread (watched the match on delay so only just saw them) and some of the whinging about the pitch being flat (comparing it to the NZ 2010 pitch is ridiculous!!!) was quite hilarious in hindsight, especially when those same posters then were talking about how much spin it was taking on day 1. Swann was really getting some serious turn.

Ojha and Ashwin could be very dangerous on this wicket if they bowl well. India in the driving seat.

Oh and Pujara

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    That was absolutely pathetic from England barring Swann. Dead set pitiful. Was Bresnan taking the piss? Bowling 120s outside off on this wicket? Bowl at the stumps and put some back into it ffs. And we're talking first session here so fatigue ain't an issue.

Went through the posts in this thread (watched the match on delay so only just saw them) and some of the whinging about the pitch being flat (comparing it to the NZ 2010 pitch is ridiculous!!!) was quite hilarious in hindsight, especially when those same posters then were talking about how much spin it was taking on day 1. Swann was really getting some serious turn.

Ojha and Ashwin could be very dangerous on this wicket if they bowl well. India in the driving seat.

Oh and Pujara
    and what about Kohli...???

He got thoroughly owned by Swann.

Swann must be injury free, was getting some serious revs on the ball.

On the topic of Trott, he didn't claim that catch, but it was still weird. He started high fiving teammates, wtf?

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pup Clarke View Post
    Arguable. Onions record suggests that he is the most expensive bowler in this English set up, and he was also one of the most expensive bowlers in the warm ups. Reason - Pitching the ball up when your deliveries finish gun barrel straight at medium fast is virtually useless, especially if you arent especially tall. Onions isnt likely to do much unless hes got something to work with either in the air on in the pitch, and we know that this was categorically not the case yesterday.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by biased indian View Post
    Star have huge commentory team for this series english hindi combined...if sky was here more would have joined in....

Gavaskar,Kapil,Shastri,Rameez,Sidhu,Arun lal,Siva,dravid,ganguly,manjarekar,coolingwood,boycott,ayaz,harsha....did i miss any one ?

only problem is like only 2-3 people in that
    How's Sir Geoffrey's Hindi?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Going by how good they looked, I don't remember Warne ever bowling this well in India on a first day. Good stuff. This is Swann's test - to face this lineup on these wickets. Was extremely impressed with him today.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    How's Sir Geoffrey's Hindi?
    I'm more surprised Kapil Dev is back into the fold. He's doing Hindi commentary for BCCI.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Yeah, Bresnan was really down on pace today, even MrPrez is probably quicker than him.
    Thought the same thing earlier. Sad really.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Did you watch them then?

I love how people judge a small difference in stats as being 'completely outbowling' someone, after Onions has utterly dominated in County Championship for a while now.

Also what's the point in all our staff if Bresnan is bowling at no sort of pace and they still pick him?
    LOL, small difference in stats. I reckon Onions would be a better pick than Bresnan anyway outside of Asia at the moment, but Bresnan has the old ball skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Well i'd have gone with Panesar over Broad on fitness grounds as I said before the game. If Broad was deemed fit enough then Bresnan would have missed out. I wouldn't be worried if we went with both spinners in future games if the pitches are like this that give nothing for a pace bowler.

It was quite clear by the way that Dhoni grinned after the T20 match that these pitches will be suited to spinners. I don't blame the England management though as 3 seamers and a spinner has been so successful in recent years that it was understandable they would stick to what they knew. Saying we would have gone with Panesar is no guarantee that England would be in a better position now anyway as he may have bowled dross himself.

Bonus of the day was Swann, back to his best. Lets hope his elbow stands up to the workload.
    Yeah, the whole Monty debate is going to get rather tiresome. I'm definetly not going to criticise the selectors, as I would have definetly gone with 3 seamers for sure if Finn was fit. The key, I think, is not to be dogmatic about it. As many have said it is fairly obviously ridiculous to suggest that you have to play two frontline spinners in India but equally 3 seamers should not just be automatic choice. In this case I think it was a very marginal call.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Uppercut is spot on anyway; playing in India doesn't turn the ball for you.

Yes, many surfaces in India, including this one, are much more responsive to spin bowling than pace bowling. However, this is offset by the fact that Indian batsmen as a rule are far, far better at playing spin than they are at playing pace. The conditions do you all you to play two spinners as part of a four man attack but they certainly don't require it if your seamers are better bowlers than you spinners. It's quite possibly the biggest con in world cricket, getting teams to play substandard spinners against India because of the conditions and then having the Indian top order hammer them all day because they're not up to the task.

Here are a couple inconvenient truths for Monty fans.

1. Panesar has already played five Tests in India and has an attrocious record himself; 11 wickets @ 56. In fact it was his innocuousness in India last time that saw Swann overtake him as England's #1 spinner in the first place.

2. Overseas spinners do not do better than overseas seamers in India. The Indian top order would love nothing more than to face some foreign straight breaker who'd struggle to get a game in Ranji cricket every week, so serving them up here and leaving out better pace options because of the conditions just plays in their hands. Here are the records of overseas bowlers in India since 2000:
    Spinners: 299 wickets @ 45.91
    Seamers: 479 wickets @ 39.10

Now Bresnan has hardly covered himself in glory in this match in or fact in general of late so Panesar was a serious option, but lets not pretend it was a ridiculous selection, that Panesar would've taken a bag full of wickets, or that you need two spinners away against India. Without wanting to sound too tinfoil hat, that's what they want you to think.

Furthermore, the Patel comparison is just absurd. I wouldn't have picked Patel either but saying you think Panesar is a better bowler is doing nothing but stating the obvious; no-one is going to disagree, and the selectors didn't pick him because they thought he was. It's another issue entirely.
    Thank you for putting it a lot more eloquently than I could be bothered ever doing.

It's something I've been banging on about for ages though; 2 spinners in India is a waste of time. For foreign teams, it's always always always going to be your seamers that will win you Tests. When Murali and Warne, 2 of the greatest spinners of all time have fairly mediocre records in India, that should tell you how easily Indian batsmen play spin at home.

The two most successful sides in India over the last 15 years have been South Africa and Australia. A look at the records of Allan Donald, Shaun Pollock, Dale Steyn, Glenn McGrath and Jason Gillespie (and note what type of bowlers these guys are) should give you a clue as to why they're the best teams to have visited India.

Thread Information