• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The point is that your teams come here, get humiliated more often than not, very much like India does when they go outside.The only difference is that Indian fans, at least on this board, bemoan our board's ineptitude and our players' incompetence. I don't recollect reading a single, regularly posting Indian fan here bitching about the pitches in Eng-Aus after those losses.
Then you need to re-read last years England-India thread, and go back to this one where there were Indian supporters saying the decks in England were "green tops" last year. They weren't.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I think you find as biased indian mentioned they have tired to produce more seamer friendly pitches in domestic cricket and matches were lasting 2-3 days. Same thing happened in Sri Lanka and medium pacer bowling 110-120km/h were dominating not the fast bowlers.

You kind of need dry pitches on SC for games to last five days.

It is easy to say in practice you need varying pitches, but you can only produce pitches with the conditions available.

Last edited:

benchmark00

There's different types of turning pitches though. The SCG was a turner, but that was because it had green grass on it which allowed the ball to grip and rip. It would mean the ball would bounce more. Sub continent pitches just don't have grass, so they're more conducive to off spin bowling because it will keep low and when you're spinning it into the stumps LBW's and bowleds are a big chance.

shankar

International Debutant
Yeah they should have turning pitches here. That was the great value of Sydney when it used to turn. But the real value if it was you'd go from Sydney to Perth to Adelaide to Melbourne and there would be different tests. That's the point. The fact there's a sameness about a lot of the pitches here now is no good for the game IMO.

Don't be coming on here suggesting my saying preparing endless pitches like the one for this test makes for **** cricket and leads to no good for the home side is somehow bigotry. It's bull****, even by your standards.
Was the Sydney pitch turning in the 90's? Because the Australian teams that came over here in '96 and '98 ('01 as well with the exception of S.Waugh and Hayden) were comically inept against spin.

Burgey

I think you find as biased indian mentioned they have tired to produce more seamer friendly pitches in domestic cricket and matches were lasting 2-3 days. Same thing happened in Sri Lanka and medium pacer bowling 110-120km/h were dominating not the fast bowlers.

You kind of need dry pitches on SC for games to last five days.

It is easy to say in practice you need varying pitches, but you can only produce pitches with the conditions available.
Yeah, it's always the dominant factor. I'd love nothing more than to see Sydney like it was in the 80s and early 90s, but I can't see it happening again for a good while, if ever. But I think out cricket would be better if it did go back to the way it was.

Burgey

Was the Sydney pitch turning in the 90's? Because the Australian teams that came over here in '96 and '98 ('01 as well with the exception of S.Waugh and Hayden) were comically inept against spin.
Not as much as the 80s I think. Waugh grew up on it, but iirc Hayden had benefitted from a long session at an academy in India hasn't he, practicing against spinners on your pitches for a few months?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Then you need to re-read last years England-India thread, and go back to this one where there were Indian supporters saying the decks in England were "green tops" last year. They weren't.
TBF, even if they were green tops, which they absolutely weren't, saying so isn't whining. That's Test cricket. Learn to bat on them.

Burgey

Anyway, I'm done. Early start, weather pending. Ftr we've got a cracking kid in the junior side who's a leggie of Indian extraction and he turns it a mile. 11 years old and already has a wrong un too.

benchmark00

When did it start to go off the boil? Was it the mid 90s or a bit later?
I think there's always been assistance for spin bowlers there, but there's definitely not as much in the past 5 or so years.

When we had two quality spinners in MacGill and Warne it was almost a given to play both at the SCG.

I still think the SCG is the best cricket wicket in the world. Has something for seam bowlers, spinners and batsmen and always produces a result, usually on the fifth day.

Just needs more shade in the O'Reilly stand imo.

Burgey

I think there's always been assistance for spin bowlers there, but there's definitely not as much in the past 5 or so years.

When we had two quality spinners in MacGill and Warne it was almost a given to play both at the SCG.

I still think the SCG is the best cricket wicket in the world. Has something for seam bowlers, spinners and batsmen and always produces a result, usually on the fifth day.

Just needs more shade in the O'Reilly stand imo.
Brutal by mid afternoon. Punishing stuff.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyway, I'm done. Early start, weather pending. Ftr we've got a cracking kid in the junior side who's a leggie of Indian extraction and he turns it a mile. 11 years old and already has a wrong un too.
Ah, the I've got Indian friends defence.

shankar

International Debutant
Hayden had benefitted from a long session at an academy in India hasn't he, practicing against spinners on your pitches for a few months?
And that's the way you get batsmen who're capable of batting in alien conditions - Batsmen who've come through a certain domestic setup working on their deficiencies in other countries and adapting their game. Not by making bouncing pitches for visiting teams.

Yes it was. See post above.
Interesting point.

Last edited: