• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Xuhaib

International Coach
He's really lost his way, Trott. I dunno if he's doing anything noticeably different technically, or if he's just in a bad slump. Maybe he's just been worked out.
was have a purple patch when he made his debut. Even during his great run never looked like a player who would end up with an average above 50. Always seemed like a nibbler to probing off stump bowling.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wasn't specifically saying Australia. If you take out Australia in 90s and 2000s and West Indies in 70s and 80s. Both those teams won everywhere they were freaks.

But outside those teams, most sides have struggled away from home, because the mind set that pitches away from home are doctored, so losing away from home is not a big deal. As long as you win at home.

All this mind set has created is a bunch of batsmen that are average on non traditional tracks for them.

Yes Ashwin struggled in Australia on pitches that offered little support for his type of spin bowling. He is going well on these pitches that offer support for spin bowling.

But how is that any different to Broad. The guys averages 40 odd away from home. But come next Ashes series in England, he will probably look like a world beater on the relative green tops in England. Should England start producing slower and dryer tracks, so they play better away from home or keep producing the pitches that got them to No 1 in world for short period?

End of day, it is about the batsmen working on their techniques to reduce the flaws that make them not as successful at home. Not changing the pitches to make the similar to overseas pitches. You can always pick a different bowling attack to suit a different pitch conditions.
Yeah it is exactly about players adapting. Which is why blokes who travel well are rated highly I suppose. I don't get a mindset of preparing ridiculously one sided decks which are of the same character year in, year out. Nothing good for a home side comes from that kind of sameness imo

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Mate, you weren't born in 1975. You wouldn't know what it was like then. It's a very different beast now.

Johnson bowls well at the WACA for god knows what reason, he's a complete enigma. But it's hardly been a fast bowler's charnel house in recent times. Or haven't you watched matches there?
I haven't seen any of those matches live of course, but seen plenty of clips, thanks to Rob on you tube and on TV previously.

The WACA track no doubt was a lot faster and bouncy back in the 70s, as were all Australian pitches. But weren't Australia just producing pitches to their strength. Ashley Mallett was a good spinner, but he was no Shane Warne. Warne is reason for lack of pace on Australian pitches, compared to 70s. Also some of the bouncy quick tracks backfired when the West Indies were let loose on them.

Though I think there is something wrong with a pitch were a short of length ball is bouncing around someones head. It is just as bad as balls consistency bouncing around the ankles of batsmen. There should be consistent carry to keeper and if you pitch it short a batsmen should have an even chance of hitting you for six. That is real pitch IMO.

benchmark00

was have a purple patch when he made his debut. Even during his great run never looked like a player who would end up with an average above 50. Always seemed like a nibbler to probing off stump bowling.
I think Trott is a quality player. He's very run hungry, but I think he probably plays with too hard of hands against spin bowling.

I get a sadistic pleasure from watching him bat because he's the definition of a soulless accumulator. Would hate to play against him.

Spark

Global Moderator
Wtf, that's rubbish. A well directed short ball should not be easy to play. Would be dull as dog**** otherwise.

edit: @chaminda

Burgey

You'd expect that response from Cevno to a post which doesn't in any way address the discussion at hand.

Look, by all means keep preparing these pitches. All it does is produce the attitude which leads to the recent away pizzlings that have been dished out. But it doesn't matter, so long as you win at home. Mindless.

Burgey

I haven't seen any of those matches live of course, but seen plenty of clips, thanks to Rob on you tube and on TV previously.

The WACA track no doubt was a lot faster and bouncy back in the 70s, as were all Australian pitches. But weren't Australia just producing pitches to their strength. Ashley Mallett was a good spinner, but he was no Shane Warne. Warne is reason for lack of pace on Australian pitches, compared to 70s. Also some of the bouncy quick tracks backfired when the West Indies were let loose on them.

Though I think there is something wrong with a pitch were a short of length ball is bouncing around someones head. It is just as bad as balls consistency bouncing around the ankles of batsmen. There should be consistent carry to keeper and if you pitch it short a batsmen should have an even chance of hitting you for six. That is real pitch IMO.
No they weren't, because you went from Perth and Brisbane to Adelaide which was flat, then Sydney which turned and Melbourne which was as low and slow as this abomination being played on now. The pitches weren't turned out to play on Australia's strengths. We would play the Windies in Brisbane and Perth first up on the 80s and be 2-0 down in three and a half days with four fractured skulls and seven broken ribs.

Warne isn't the reason for lack of pace in pitches here. A drought which lasted the better part of a decade is

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
I think Trott is a quality player. He's very run hungry, but I think he probably plays with too hard of hands against spin bowling.

I get a sadistic pleasure from watching him bat because he's the definition of a soulless accumulator. Would hate to play against him.
yeah he's quality but does not scream WORLD CLASS imo.Even when he was getting runs you could see there were holes in his game (that clip to mid wicket will always bring LB in to play) and one felt the moment he gets out of his zone he could have a run of low scores.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Wtf, that's rubbish. A well directed short ball should not be easy to play. Would be dull as dog**** otherwise.

edit: @chaminda
Yes, the key there is well directed short ball. Not any short ball because of excess bounce from a relatively full length.

Burgey

yeah he's quality but does not scream WORLD CLASS imo.Even when he was getting runs you could see there were holes in his game (that clip to mid wicket will always bring LB in to play) and one felt the moment he gets out of his zone he could have a run of low scores.
He did seem very reliant on that clip to leg, didnt he? Will be interesting to see if he can get back to something like his old form, even if not quite so productive.

DriveClub

International Regular
You'd expect that response from Cevno to a post which doesn't in any way address the discussion at hand.

Look, by all means keep preparing these pitches. All it does is produce the attitude which leads to the recent away pizzlings that have been dished out. But it doesn't matter, so long as you win at home. Mindless.
To win away from home you need ATGs in your team, nothing to do with pitches. Pitches would naturally differ geographically. There aren't any ATGs playing atm in world cricket a bunch of very good cricketers. Now bend over and feel the pain.

Burgey

To win away from home you need ATGs in your team, nothing to do with pitches. Pitches would naturally differ geographically. There aren't any ATGs playing atm in world cricket a bunch of very good cricketers. Now bend over and feel the pain.
No you don't need all time greats to win away from home. That's just a crazy mindset, Bun.