• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
What point is it you're making exactly?
That claiming that Panesar might've bowled better than the non-Swann portion of the England bowling attack doesn't mean he would've had a significant outcome on India's performance.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How did Denis jr look, anyway? I'm stuck at work (UK tax monies in action, etc) and looking at crackinfo suggests it wasn't exactly the kind of swashbuckler his granddad (:wub:) was renowned for.
He looked really nervous in the first couple of overs, but after that he did look really quite solid defensively. Made the tiniest of errors and was dismissed immediately, but that's what tends to happen when you're blocking back half volleys and making no attempt to score at all.

I don't think he looked out of his depth given the circumstances but it was far from the start he'd have hoped for.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone in Australia right now turn Lateline on and check out the bloke being interviewed. Biggest meat nose I've seen since Rod Gallegos.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
It's partly a test of courage too, as I said. Not this rubbish. Once SC teams begin to realise this they'll get better away from home. I mean look at India's series away from home. Tripe. All this does is paper over the cracks.
You could argue the same thing for England and other non SC sides when they fail in the SC and just say, 'We played well last series at home. We not playing that bad and no major weakness, we just had one bad series.'

End of the day both teams like some major weakness, but all they do is blame the pitches not their lack of skill in non traditional conditions.

"The pitches turned from ball one, the pitches were rubbish"

"There were half volley hitting me in the chest, the pitches were rubbish"

Until teams learn to expect that different conditions they will face and man up to that. None of these teams will get better away from home.

I personally don't see anything wrong with these pitches and trampoline bouncing pitch away from SC. All I see is a lot batsmen around the world who lack the skills to play on non traditional pitches and unwillingness to test themselves to become better players. Because they will just score runs at home and everyone will forgot how poor they are away from home.

hazsa19

International Regular
That claiming that Panesar might've bowled better than the non-Swann portion of the England bowling attack doesn't mean he would've had a significant outcome on India's performance.
If you believe Panesar would have been a lot more effective than Bresnan/Anderson/Broad, then it seems like a straightforward assumption to make.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Oh yeah, they're inept for the most part too. I'm
Just saying this is dross. I mean, you could have prepared a 1975 WACA pitch (that is, a real pitch) and England wouldn't have knocked the fuzz off a peach at the pace they bowled anyway. But this is ridiculous. It's like Milo Into Cricket for 5-8 year olds - "Oh no, don't bounce one near his tummy! He might get a bruise!"

It would be quite a seriois problem if India wasn't actually doing themselves in the neck long term by playing on these piles of ****. We can all agree its a good thing they are.
The WACA, the same pitch that makes mediocre fast bowlers like Mitch Johnson look like ATG. You sure want that type of pitch the be benchmark of a good track?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
On the Panesar I think he about as good as Ojha maybe a bit below. But bowling in tandem with the Swann they would have been a handful. The big difference so far between the bowling performances is the additional support from the both ends. Swann had no support from the other bowlers.

Burgey

You could argue the same thing for England and other non SC sides when they fail in the SC and just say, 'We played well last series at home. We not playing that bad and no major weakness, we just had one bad series.'

End of the day both teams like some major weakness, but all they do is blame the pitches not their lack of skill in non traditional conditions.

"The pitches turned from ball one, the pitches were rubbish"

"There were half volley hitting me in the chest, the pitches were rubbish"

Until teams learn to expect that different conditions they will face and man up to that. None of these teams will get better away from home.

I personally don't see anything wrong with these pitches and trampoline bouncing pitch away from SC. All I see is a lot batsmen around the world who lack the skills to play on non traditional pitches and unwillingness to test themselves to become better players. Because they will just score runs at home and everyone will forgot how poor they are away from home.
Bollocks. You don't hear that at all. Australia wanted to win in the SC to assert their dominance everywhere, not be happy getting their arses handed to them away but winning at home and being happy with it.

In any event, when has Australia ever lost a series in SL? Look, if you want to prepare these pitches constantly then fine, but you do yourself a disservice. Worst thing that ever happened in Australia was the homogenizing of wickets here. It's become our equivalent of these atrocities, only not quite as noticeable.

I mean, look at Ashwin. The bloke is being hailed as a world beater and racing to some milestone of wicket taking rhe commentators were banging on about today, but I could have played him with a billiard cue out here last summer. It was a joke. It's like preparing green tops and having Simon Davis look a world beater. It doesn't do you any good.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If you believe Panesar would have been a lot more effective than Bresnan/Anderson/Broad, then it seems like a straightforward assumption to make.
And given that I don't believe that would've been the case (OK he might've been significantly better than Bresnan, but again...low standards) then it's fair enough to assume otherwise.

Burgey

The WACA, the same pitch that makes mediocre fast bowlers like Mitch Johnson look like ATG. You sure want that type of pitch the be benchmark of a good track?
Mate, you weren't born in 1975. You wouldn't know what it was like then. It's a very different beast now.

Johnson bowls well at the WACA for god knows what reason, he's a complete enigma. But it's hardly been a fast bowler's charnel house in recent times. Or haven't you watched matches there?

Last edited:

hazsa19

International Regular
And given that I don't believe that would've been the case (OK he might've been significantly better than Bresnan, but again...low standards) then it's fair enough to assume otherwise.
Indeed. Just didn't get why you were bringing up the standard of the others.

Burgey

But look, having said all this, it's still piss funny seeing England getting a flogging :ph34r:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Burgey, you are underselling Ashwin. Murali,Ajmal,Saqlain,Swann best offspinners of last 2 decades have all struggled in Aus for some reason Aus pitches are very unkind to this type of bowling.

Burgey

Burgey, you are underselling Ashwin. Murali,Ajmal,Saqlain,Swann best offspinners of last 2 decades have all struggled in Aus for some reason Aus pitches are very unkind to this type of bowling.
Yeah but those blokes were rightly treated with a measure of respect even on unresponsive decks.

Burgey

Anyways, looks like Trott's new New Balance bat has a good edge on it.
He's really lost his way, Trott. I dunno if he's doing anything noticeably different technically, or if he's just in a bad slump. Maybe he's just been worked out.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Bollocks. You don't hear that at all. Australia wanted to win in the Sc to assert their dominance everywhere, not be happy getting their arses handed to them away but winning at home and being happy with it.

In any event, when has Australia ever lost a series in SL? Look, if you want to prepare these pitches constantly then fine, but you do yourself a disservice. Worst thing that ever happened in Australia was the homogenizing of wickets here. It's become out equivalent of these atrocities, only not quite as noticeable.

I mean, look at Ashwin. The bloke is being haile as a world beater and racing to some milestone of wicket taking rhe commentators were banging on about today, but I could have played him with a billiard cue out here last summer. It was a joke. It's like preparing green tops and having Simon David look a world beater. It doesn't do you any good.
Wasn't specifically saying Australia. If you take out Australia in 90s and 2000s and West Indies in 70s and 80s. Both those teams won everywhere they were freaks.

But outside those teams, most sides have struggled away from home, because the mind set that pitches away from home are doctored, so losing away from home is not a big deal. As long as you win at home.

All this mind set has created is a bunch of batsmen that are average on non traditional tracks for them.

Yes Ashwin struggled in Australia on pitches that offered little support for his type of spin bowling. He is going well on these pitches that offer support for spin bowling.

But how is that any different to Broad. The guys averages 40 odd away from home. But come next Ashes series in England, he will probably look like a world beater on the relative green tops in England. Should England start producing slower and dryer tracks, so they play better away from home or keep producing the pitches that got them to No 1 in world for short period?

End of day, it is about the batsmen working on their techniques to reduce the flaws that make them not as successful at home. Not changing the pitches to make the similar to overseas pitches. You can always pick a different bowling attack to suit a different pitch conditions.

Spark

Global Moderator
He's really lost his way, Trott. I dunno if he's doing anything noticeably different technically, or if he's just in a bad slump. Maybe he's just been worked out.
To be fair, we never saw him face this kind of spin-heavy attack during his golden run, but I think people are finally waking up to the idea that you should get him onto the front foot whenever possible.