• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I've seen literally none of day 1's play but if the pitch was offering nothing for the seamers then it's a "road" in most people's eyes.
Yeah and most people's eyes are pretty stupid and don't understand subcontinental cricket.

This could be a 4 day test. Or India may bowl and field as poorly as England and it will be a draw.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
It was day 1!
He would not be getting the turn on day 1 of that test like the deliveries he got Sehwag and Kohli out with on day 1. Just no way the ball would grip that much.

Obviously he's a gun and Burgey needs to taste it and stop bagging the great man, but this is not normal turn on an Indian wicket on day 1.
The ones to Sehwag and Kohli turned appreciably, but Swann will bowl a few of those on any wicket. If every ball was behaving like that I'd agree with you but most of his deliveries weren't, he was just keeping it very tight.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah and most people's eyes are pretty stupid and don't understand subcontinental cricket.

This could be a 4 day test. Or India may bowl and field as poorly as England and it will be a draw.
I think the Test last year where the Windies drew with the scores level is why I find watching cricket in India so bloody frustrating at times.

Absolute borefest for 4 days then an epic final day because the pitch seemed to fall to bits overnight. Granted, I don't watch a huge amount of cricket in India because it's the worst timezone for me, but there always seems to be two extremes.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not going to get an argument from me, that wasn't a great test match wicket.

That being said, WI did turn to utter poo in that test as well. I think if they batted with brains they would never have gotten close to losing that test.

Ball was turning a lot more on day 1 of this test than that match too.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Picking a spinner for the sake of it in India is the stupidest strategy imaginable. I've been saying that for years. Of course, if the alternative is bowling **** outside off at 120kph, then it's a different story. But obviously you don't know that going in.

centurymaker

International Captain
The ones to Sehwag and Kohli turned appreciably, but Swann will bowl a few of those on any wicket. If every ball was behaving like that I'd agree with you but most of his deliveries weren't, he was just keeping it very tight.
thats why we see swann picking up 4 wickets with 4 good balls everytime he bowls and that too on Day 1
you don't need every ball to turn in order to get wickets. It's that surprise factor of just a small proportion of them turning that helps you get a wicket. (same applies on seaming wickets)

It was only day 1 and we saw the pitch littered with footmarks as though it was already day 4. hence I'd be surprised if England scored more than 550 runs in their 2 innings combined.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Oxymoron.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
thats why we see swann picking up 4 wickets with 4 good balls everytime he bowls and that too on Day 1
you don't need every ball to turn in order to get wickets. It's that surprise factor of just a small proportion of them turning that helps you get a wicket. (same applies on seaming wickets)

It was only day 1 and we saw the pitch littered with footmarks as though it was already day 4.
Haha yeah. I am surprised how much people are playing down the turn on this track. As if Swann picking up 4 top order INDIAN batsman on day one is a regular event on any wicket.

Ludicrous.

Burgey

It was all right. Nothing flash, disappointingly for a Friday. But still good. Too busy for big lunches the last couple of days.

Disappointing.

Daemon

Cribb a bit harsh on LFD earlier. He was comparing Patel and Monty because in the presence of Monty, Patel's bowling would obviously not be required. The two selections aren't related directly but they are indirectly. What he was trying to say was that he'd rather have Monty and Bairstow playing over Patel and Bresnan.

LFD

School Boy/Girl Captain
Cribb a bit harsh on LFD earlier. He was comparing Patel and Monty because in the presence of Monty, Patel's bowling would obviously not be required. The two selections aren't related directly but they are indirectly. What he was trying to say was that he'd rather have Monty and Bairstow playing over Patel and Bresnan.
Someone understands!

sphynx

U19 Debutant
This pitch is the most digracefully dead peice of dirt I've seen for a test match for quite a while.

I feel sorry for Anderson, Broad and co.

Typical Indian road.