• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

hazsa19

International Regular
Yes and Meaker is a better bowler than Trott but it's not the bloody point. No-one in their right mind would suggest Patel was the better bowler; you're making a straw man out of the selectors.
Don't really get why you're having a go. It's perfectly reasonable to go into the test with 4 bowlers, including Monty and Swann, with Bairstow/ Morgan at 6.

And no-one has said that Monty would have taken 5, but you're kidding yourself if you think he would have been more expensive than Bresnan or Broad. He can dart it in straight, turn the odd one, skid the odd one on. He is a very very good bowler and was the perfect 4th bowler for this pitch imo.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I have said that, plenty of times!

I know Patel was chosen as a batsman, primarily (which is wrong IMO). But he is also chosen as the second spinner - hence the comparison with Monty.

You are saying yourself you wouldn't have selected Patel, so I don't see why you are arguing for the sake of it!
Logical fallacies annoy me whether I agree with the end result or not. Watching people pad their arguments with straw man comparisons and not even understanding what they themselves are really saying annoys me far more than people just flat out disagreeing with me, especially when they go and dig them back up later to prove how right they were all along.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Bowling 1/3rd of the team's overs on the first day of the series..for someone with a funky arm, that is just inviting trouble. The rest of the English bowling unit needs to look themselves in the mirror tonight.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Don't really get why you're having a go. It's perfectly reasonable to go into the test with 4 bowlers, including Monty and Swann, with Bairstow/ Morgan at 6.
Yeah no doubt, but LFD came into this thread saying he thought Panesar would be more effective than Patel, then patted himself on the back when Patel was innocuous. It was never in doubt; not even from those who would've left Panesar out and picked Patel (again, two separate decisions). They weren't in direct competition.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bowling 1/3rd of the team's overs on the first day of the series..for someone with a funky arm, that is just inviting trouble. The rest of the English bowling unit needs to look themselves in the mirror tonight.
Either that problem has been rectified by having a few months off (bar the hit and giggle) or we are heading for serious trouble. Might find out tomorrow, if he bowls with far less spin and control it will be a major concern.

LFD

School Boy/Girl Captain

And no-one has said that Monty would have taken 5, but you're kidding yourself if you think he would have been more expensive than Bresnan or Broad. He can dart it in straight, turn the odd one, skid the odd one on. He is a very very good bowler and was the perfect 4th bowler for this pitch imo.
Exactly.

Logical fallacies annoy me whether I agree with the end result or not. Watching people pad their arguments with straw man comparisons and not even understanding what they themselves are really saying annoys me far more than people just flat out disagreeing with me, especially when they go and dig them back up later to prove how right they were all along.
Well I was right, looking at what we have seen so far.

I do know what I am talking about and you even agree with me!

You must be one of these people who argue for the sake of it.

I have said and can quote if you want me to - I would have played Bairstow over Patel as the batsman and Monty over Broad. That was before the match!

Now relax and stop trying to put other posters down, that's a horrible habit!

LFD

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah no doubt, but LFD came into this thread saying he thought Panesar would be more effective than Patel, then patted himself on the back when Patel was innocuous. It was never in doubt; not even from those who would've left Panesar out and picked Patel (again, two separate decisions). They weren't in direct competition.
I never said they were in direct competition. But they are both the second spin option, hence the natural comparison!

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
some of englands thinking regarding panesar may stem from this match 1st Test: India v England at Chennai, Dec 11-15, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

England played two spinners bowled last and yet india still chased down 387 comfortably with Panesar taking 0-105.

Panesar is an ok spinner but imo england correctly assess they're not going to beat india by bowling spin. They may have to rethink their options if all the wickets are like this and the england fast bowlers are as anemic as they were today.

tooextracool

International Coach
I really feel that Onions has been hard done by. I mean, he averaged about 15 with the ball last season and he can't get a game ahead of an obviously out-of-form Bresnan? Not like they would miss his batting either.
He is and Id have him in the side ahead of Bresnan 10 out of 10 times in England. However, the reality is that he'd not have done too much better on this pitch.

biased indian

International Coach
Star have huge commentory team for this series english hindi combined...if sky was here more would have joined in....

Gavaskar,Kapil,Shastri,Rameez,Sidhu,Arun lal,Siva,dravid,ganguly,manjarekar,coolingwood,boycott,ayaz,harsha....did i miss any one ?

only problem is like only 2-3 people in that :)

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
However, the reality is that he'd not have done too much better on this pitch.
Completely disagree. If there was one bowler in the England setup who I feel would make serious inroads into their top order - I'd say Onions is most likely because he bowls a full length consistently.

biased indian

International Coach
Completely disagree. If there was one bowler in the England setup who I feel would make serious inroads into their top order - I'd say Onions is most likely because he bowls a full length consistently.
he will be in action soon in a test match ....the way bresnan has bowled today

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That was absolutely pathetic from England barring Swann. Dead set pitiful. Was Bresnan taking the piss? Bowling 120s outside off on this wicket? Bowl at the stumps and put some back into it ffs. And we're talking first session here so fatigue ain't an issue.

Went through the posts in this thread (watched the match on delay so only just saw them) and some of the whinging about the pitch being flat (comparing it to the NZ 2010 pitch is ridiculous!!!) was quite hilarious in hindsight, especially when those same posters then were talking about how much spin it was taking on day 1. Swann was really getting some serious turn.

Ojha and Ashwin could be very dangerous on this wicket if they bowl well. India in the driving seat.

Oh and Pujara :wub:

biased indian

International Coach
That was absolutely pathetic from England barring Swann. Dead set pitiful. Was Bresnan taking the piss? Bowling 120s outside off on this wicket? Bowl at the stumps and put some back into it ffs. And we're talking first session here so fatigue ain't an issue.

Went through the posts in this thread (watched the match on delay so only just saw them) and some of the whinging about the pitch being flat (comparing it to the NZ 2010 pitch is ridiculous!!!) was quite hilarious in hindsight, especially when those same posters then were talking about how much spin it was taking on day 1. Swann was really getting some serious turn.

Ojha and Ashwin could be very dangerous on this wicket if they bowl well. India in the driving seat.

Oh and Pujara :wub:
and what about Kohli...???

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He got thoroughly owned by Swann.

Swann must be injury free, was getting some serious revs on the ball.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
On the topic of Trott, he didn't claim that catch, but it was still weird. He started high fiving teammates, wtf?

tooextracool

International Coach
Arguable. Onions record suggests that he is the most expensive bowler in this English set up, and he was also one of the most expensive bowlers in the warm ups. Reason - Pitching the ball up when your deliveries finish gun barrel straight at medium fast is virtually useless, especially if you arent especially tall. Onions isnt likely to do much unless hes got something to work with either in the air on in the pitch, and we know that this was categorically not the case yesterday.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Star have huge commentory team for this series english hindi combined...if sky was here more would have joined in....

Gavaskar,Kapil,Shastri,Rameez,Sidhu,Arun lal,Siva,dravid,ganguly,manjarekar,coolingwood,boycott,ayaz,harsha....did i miss any one ?

only problem is like only 2-3 people in that :)
How's Sir Geoffrey's Hindi? :ph34r: