• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To be fair to Bresnan he did completely outbowl Onions in the warmup matches and he's only playing because of Finn's injury anyway.
Did you watch them then?

I love how people judge a small difference in stats as being 'completely outbowling' someone, after Onions has utterly dominated in County Championship for a while now.

Also what's the point in all our staff if Bresnan is bowling at no sort of pace and they still pick him?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I love how people judge a small difference in stats as being 'completely outbowling' someone, after Onions has utterly dominated in County Championship for a while now.
Did you watch it??

Don't think I'd quite call the difference between 9 wickets @ 19 and 2 wickets @ 53 "small" either.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Did you watch it??

Don't think I'd quite call the difference between 9 wickets @ 19 and 2 wickets @ 53 "small" either.

We also know at least one straight-forward catch was dropped off Onions, then you have things like bad calls, bad luck. That sort of difference is not remotely significant statistically - let alone with all the other things like bowling against better batsmen etc.

A whole season - that means something. Some warm-up games in different conditions and situations mean next to nothing unless you're watching them.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Bresnan has looked village in virtually every Test since the WI toured England. Down on pace, just another county trundler. Seems like the English are retaining him for his Ashes laurels from ages ago.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, hindsight is a wonderful thing and Monty for Bresnan was probably the best pick based on today. Based on the warm ups though (which is the only really way you can pick a team) - the team looked right to me.

LFD

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yes, hindsight is a wonderful thing and Monty for Bresnan was probably the best pick based on today. Based on the warm ups though (which is the only really way you can pick a team) - the team looked right to me.
It is not hindsight, if I said it should have happened before hand. But Cook and Flower after seeing the pitch close up before the match not to select him is an even worse decision. The pitch was creating foot marks straight away.

I would have played Monty instead of Broad. Bresnan can reverse swing the ball better.

I also would have selected Bairstow instead of Patel!

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree, thought the three pacers with Fatel was the way to go, but tbf to LFD it isn't hindsight if he stated it before the match even started.

hazsa19

International Regular
Eh?!?! There were so many people on here calling for 2 spinners.

Satyanash89

Banned
Just been told that Trott is a dirty, filthy cheat. Anyone care to shed some light on the matter?
Commentators accused him of claiming a clearly grassed catch. Tad unfair coz he didnt claim it at all, was just unsure.
In hindsight he probably should have saved everyone's time by simply acknowledging that he hadnt caught it... theres simply no way he could have thought he'd caught it cleanly... too obvious