Page 606 of 675 FirstFirst ... 106506556596604605606607608616656 ... LastLast
Results 9,076 to 9,090 of 10122

Thread: ***Official*** England in India

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Whether he's second or third best in the squad is beside the point really, our OD quick bowling depth is atrocious. I'd back our first choice bowlers to do well pretty much anywhere but beyond that there is absolutely nothing. A line up of Patel/Bresnan, Broad, Swann, Finn, Anderson is pretty damn good, but then look at the rest of our options. The main reason we've done well recently is because we've kept a (close enough to) first choice attack in most of our last few series.

Edit: Or have at least got away with one or two passengers in the bowling, usually Jade.
    Last edited by MW1304; 08-01-2013 at 07:54 AM.

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    Whether he's second or third best in the squad is beside the point really, our OD quick bowling depth is atrocious. I'd back our first choice bowlers to do well pretty much anywhere but beyond that there is absolutely nothing. A line up of Patel/Bresnan, Broad, Swann, Finn, Anderson is pretty damn good, but then look at the rest of our options. The main reason we've done well recently is because we've kept a (close enough to) first choice attack in most of our last few series.

Edit: Or have at least got away with one or two passengers in the bowling, usually Jade.
    yes i think we have 3 good odi bowlers.

Finn, Broad and Swann

Then you have the ok list

Anderson, Bresnan, Dernbach, Tredwell

and then the rest

The ok list aren't particularly good. Anderson gets carted in Asia and goes to pieces bowling at the death. Bresnan is powder puff but is useful to the team given the lack of quality allround options. Dernbach is erratic. Tredwell is steady.

The rest are basically terrible. Meaker isn't even a regular in the surrey LO teams.

This is why if any young bowlers with potential had a good season next year in lo cricket I'd be throwing them into the squad straight away.

Someone like Chris Wood of Hampshire who bowls left arm, swings the ball and has good variations. He is not quick enough at the moment I think but if he can somehow move his speed from early 80's to mid 80's whilst not losing any of his other attributes is one possibility. He is also an ever improving batsmen

Reece Topley another left armer but very tall, bowls mid 80's and swings the ball into the right hander. Did well in the 20 over game this year.

Ajmal Shahzad could come back into the reckoning. He did well for England when he played and although he struggled in the first class game recently he has still been very useful in LO cricket. Decent pace and skiddy with decent variation

The problem is at the moment they're picking players who have never done well in LO cricket. Woakes and Meaker are very decent 4 day players - they are **** LO cricketers.

I'm not saying lets have a revolution and start again. I'm saying when you rest Broad from a series don't pick Meaker as a replacement pick a Chris Wood. Someone who has performed consistently in LO cricket and is suited to the game.

Pick a Chris Wright, Chris Wood, Reece Topley, Shahzad, Keith Barker, Toby Roland Jones, Moin Ashraf as a squad player rather than Woakes or Meaker. They are all at home in LO cricket and have good skills and a proven track record in the domestic game. Yes they might not be good enough but they all have skills that could be useful to the team.

The only skill Woakes adds to the team is the fact he can bat a bit. Meaker has decent pace but is by no means out and out quick- and is erratic.

Wright - pace and wickettaker. Wood - left arm variation, variation of delivery, improving bat. Topley - Left arm, tall, swings the ball Shahzad - history, pace, variation. Barker- left arm, swing. TRJ - very accurate, seam movement. Ashraf - yorkers

I'm simplifying it here but all of these guys have performed well in domestic cricket. Some aren't good enough at the moment, some will never be good enough but all of these have done well in domestic OD cricket and deserve a chance moreso than Meaker. Most important is they have skills that if improved could form a formidable attack. I don't see how Woakes ever makes a formidable attack. Meaker maybe but domestic cricket disagrees.

Dernbach is ****ing appalling. Isn't accurate, isn't quick and doesn't get any movement. Has one aspect to him that works - a well-disguised slower ball - and he ****s it up half the time and bowls wides. There isn't a statsguru option for wides, but I'd be willing to bet in two years of ODIs he's bowled far more wides than the likes of Broad have in a whole career.

He's not even comparable to Bres, who is having issues right now but has actually performed in the past, and has shown himself to be a versatile bowler with conventional new-ball swing and a good yorker, neither of which Dernbach has ever managed.

If I had to put him somewhere in a pecking order I'd put him around 10th, and even that is solely based on having some international experience, rather than being in any way ahead of a further dozen or so county bowlers.
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 08-01-2013 at 09:17 AM.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Well, I agree with you totally Egyptian, would love a few genuinely fresh names, with a possible big future in the ODI game, but that's not how England work unfortunately, we use these matches as Testing grounds for Test players. Honestly WTF is Joe Root doing in the squad?
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    yes i think we have 3 good odi bowlers.

Finn, Broad and Swann

Then you have the ok list

Anderson, Bresnan, Dernbach, Tredwell

and then the rest
    wtf, Anderson's much better than everyone else in his group.

Announcing the OD squads for the NZ tour before this mini-tour even started was probably enough of a broadcast that no-one cares about it.

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    England should be using this series to test out young spinners, so picking Joe Root actually does make sense
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    wtf, Anderson's much better than everyone else in his group.
    he is better than them but he isn't a good odi bowler imo. Trash bowling from 30 overs +, terrible in asia. helpfully missed the last two odi series in india. decent in home conditions. ok not good imo.

next two world cups in Aus/NZ then England so planning is geared towards that somewhat but it amazes me that they don't seem to adjust their tactics in the slightest for india.
    Last edited by theegyptian; 08-01-2013 at 10:04 AM.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    so who's playing and who isn't?

trott?
    kp?
    anderson?
    swann?
    broad?
    finn?
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Dinda vs Dernbach?

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Dinda vs Dernbach?

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    so who's playing and who isn't?

trott?
    kp?
    anderson?
    swann?
    broad?
    finn?
    No
    Yes
    No
    No
    Probably not
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Not much to look forward to tomorrow for England fans. Doesn't even look like Buttler will play. Team looks doomed to fail even with india's problems. Bowling lacks both penetration and accuracy. Batting is mainly pedestrian.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Jade Dernbach, with his variations, is an important option in India, while Stuart Meaker's extra speed could push him in front of Chris Woakes.
    Please don't let it be true

Thread Information