Page 575 of 675 FirstFirst ... 75475525565573574575576577585625 ... LastLast
Results 8,611 to 8,625 of 10122

Thread: ***Official*** England in India

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    I wouldn't have played Root for this game, and wouldn't have even brought him on tour. In fact I was very surprised with how well he did. So I'l reserve judgement on him until after the NZ tour. I personally like the selection of Compton because it was made due to runs in County Cricket, much like Jonathan Trott's selection.

The opener's spot was all about forming a partnership with Cook and nothing else. In this series they managed two hundred partnerships, two fifty partnerships and only one real failure. That's more than good enough to justify future investment and certainly not poor enough to demand starting again. In hindsight there's something to say that Root should have played, but he didn't and Compton deserves better than to be thrown out now.

Find it really strange to be dropping an opener for doing his job.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    So what will the batting line up look like for the first test against New Zealand? I'd assume Root and Compton have secured places, but where will they bat?
    I'd go with

Cook
    Root
    Trott
    Pietersen
    Compton
    Bell

I could definitely see why Root batted 6 in this match - he wasn't really selected as a permanent member as such. I think he was picked for the conditioins; Bairstow doesn't seem a very good player of spin so they probably didn't want to give him another Test in India just now, and they might have needed Root to bowl some spin too (they didn't in the end). Given that, it wouldn't have made sense to mess around with the batting order for one game - Compton could've gone from opening to batting 6 and back to opening again all within his first five Tests.

However I think he's cemented his spot for NZ with how he played in that game so with that in mind I'd be looking to re-form the batting lineup the way the players should be suited. I really like the idea of splitting up KP and Bell which is why I've gone for Compton at 5.

Regardless of the order though, that should definitely be the top 6 for NZ.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    well played England

congratulations to all the english fans
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Flower always good value to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I'd go with

Cook
    Root
    Trott
    Pietersen
    Compton
    Bell

I could definitely see why Root batted 6 in this match - he wasn't really selected as a permanent member as such. I think he was picked for the conditioins; Bairstow doesn't seem a very good player of spin so they probably didn't want to give him another Test in India just now, and they might have needed Root to bowl some spin too (they didn't in the end). Given that, it wouldn't have made sense to mess around with the batting order for one game - Compton could've gone from opening to batting 6 and back to opening again all within his first five Tests.

However I think he's cemented his spot for NZ with how he played in that game so with that in mind I'd be looking to re-form the batting lineup the way the players should be suited. I really like the idea of splitting up KP and Bell which is why I've gone for Compton at 5.

Regardless of the order though, that should definitely be the top 6 for NZ.
    I can definitely see sense in Root going up to open for the New Zealand series, but I wouldn't feel particularly comfortable with changing something that worked reasonably well here. I'd be inclined to give Compton a go at the top of the order for New Zealand, and see how it goes. The likelihood is that one of them will fail anyway and the conundrum will solve its self. But I wouldn't complain if they went the other way.

I just noticed that India will now be playing 5 Tests in England from their next visit in 2014 onwards.

I'm all for making Test series' as long as possible so no complaints there, though it does seem that the authorities have missed the boat somewhat on that one, what with scheduling 5-match series' for the encounters directly after the sport's biggest drawcard has retired.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Either of the PEWS or Scaly options seem fine to me, I think more of a problem is finding a fit pace attack to back up Anderson as Finn, Broad and Bresnan have all either been injured or lost form due to their injuries this year. Time for Onions?

I really think Broad shouldn't be losing his place long term. I don't think he was fully fit here, and he bowled badly with a lack of penetration as a result, but he's still very much a long term prospect and a crucial cog in the Ashes plans IMO. I'd go with him to partner Anderson and Finn in NZ, but if he really isn't to it, I'd go with Onions. I wouldn't be too against Onions playing instead of Finn either.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    I just noticed that India will now be playing 5 Tests in England from their next visit in 2014 onwards.

I'm all for making Test series' as long as possible so no complaints there, though it does seem that the authorities have missed the boat somewhat on that one, what with scheduling 5-match series' for the encounters directly after the sport's biggest drawcard has retired.
    Reckon there's no chance of that series, or the one in 2018, being 5 Tests.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    I really think Broad shouldn't be losing his place long term. I don't think he was fully fit here, and he bowled badly with a lack of penetration as a result, but he's still very much a long term prospect and a crucial cog in the Ashes plans IMO. I'd go with him to partner Anderson and Finn in NZ, but if he really isn't to it, I'd go with Onions. I wouldn't be too against Onions playing instead of Finn either.
    I wouldn't have a problem if we announced now that Broad was to miss NZ away and come back fit and ready in April for Notts, same with Bresnan for Yorkshire. Go with Anderson, Finn and Onions with Woakes and Meaker as back up and the spin twins as the squad of bowlers for that tour.

Yeah, if he's fit he should play. He's by far more proven in Test cricket than Finn, who seems to play based on the pace he bowls in ODIs despite having consistently bowled 5-10mph slower in Tests. Onions is equally overrated, only it's by people who haven't seen him bowl for three years.

Both I'd accept in the side and certainly the squad but neither has anywhere near the CV that Broad has behind him. Broad's no doubt part of their long term plan as evidenced by being T20 captain & vice captain and should be back asap.

Bresnan I was obviously desperate to see come back into form in this Test but denial won't help him, it's not happening for him at the moment. Needs to target next summer. Another one they need to keep an eye on is Tremlett.

The only current player that I'm really not keen on taking is Patel.

My squad for NZ

Cook
    Compton
    Trott
    KP
    Bell
    Root
    Taylor
    Prior
    Bairstow
    Broad
    Swann
    Anderson
    Finn
    Onions
    Panesar
    Bresnan if they take a 16th

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    I wouldn't have a problem if we announced now that Broad was to miss NZ away and come back fit and ready in April for Notts, same with Bresnan for Yorkshire. Go with Anderson, Finn and Onions with Woakes and Meaker as back up and the spin twins as the squad of bowlers for that tour.
    Yeah, I could live with that. But I certainly don't want to be going into the Ashes without Broad as I think we'll be poorer if we do.
    Last edited by Cabinet96; 17-12-2012 at 05:26 AM.

Well played England

Thread Information