• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Would be banter should at least have the merit of orginality, even if wit may be beyond Mr Conn.

See? A sentence about banter that's also banter itself; how wonderfully meta of me. :cool:

For the record tho, I don't think anyone is suggesting England would be better off without Trott or Pietersen; in fact the reverse is demonstrably true.

As for Pietersen being an Afrikaner; is it that cut and dried? As one understands he attended Maritzburg College, which is an Anglo school.

&, FYI, his elder brother Tony is a vicar in Workington & kid bro (& sometime Notts & Surrey 2nd XI player) Bryan runs a bar in London, so that would seem to suggest that not all of his family lives in the Republic.
I certainly didn't miss the irony in Spoony classing Pietersen's mother as South African because she lives there now even though she was English born and educated.

Spooony

Banned
Not our fault if they come over here in search of decent grammar and spelling.
lol True. I know a lot of South Africans hated him because they twisted around what he said. No one actually printed what he said like

Denying he is racist, Pietersen told GQ what he thought of the appointment of Ashwell Prince, a coloured player, to captain South Africa in the absence of an injured Smith: “I just thought it was further evidence that things were going downhill.

“It’s got nothing to do with the colour of his skin. It’s just that better players are being left out for political reasons and until that system changes, South African sport will continue to go downhill.

“I’ve got some mates who are now on the fringes of playing domestic cricket in South Africa who are better than three or four of those players in the South African side.

“I’ve got a very good mate who is actually a better player than me, who is now working for (SA Breweries), because he can’t get into the side for political reasons and that’s wrong.”
Now if that was not printed in a mag years later but in the papers many would feel different way about him. He is absolutely correct and that is what brings our sport down every time. We choose color over merit and try to stay competitive. Call it what you want quota system is reverse racism.

KP will always be a Saffer. His attitudes and his cast of mind were formed in South Africa. Have a look at the times he got out by throwing it away instead looking at the bigger picture of the team. In the end he bats for himself and is selfish. He might play for England but he does not know what it means to be British. He is only English when it suites him. I wish the International community instead of trying to fine, ban or cop him out, start listening to him and take note of what he says. Especially bout the reason why he left South Africa cause that is the truth and its happening today. I wish we could get banned out of International cricket until they government take their noses out of sport with their reverse racism laws. Quota's are reverse racism as it is a presumption, a pre-judgement.

Spooony

Banned
I certainly didn't miss the irony in Spoony classing Pietersen's mother as South African because she lives there now even though she was English born and educated.
I did not call his mother a South African. I said nothing about his mother. But he was not raised "English". He is only English when he needs to be like Tony Greig

Would be banter should at least have the merit of orginality, even if wit may be beyond Mr Conn.

See? A sentence about banter that's also banter itself; how wonderfully meta of me. :cool:

For the record tho, I don't think anyone is suggesting England would be better off without Trott or Pietersen; in fact the reverse is demonstrably true.

As for Pietersen being an Afrikaner; is it that cut and dried? As one understands he attended Maritzburg College, which is an Anglo school.

&, FYI, his elder brother Tony is a vicar in Workington & kid bro (& sometime Notts & Surrey 2nd XI player) Bryan runs a bar in London, so that would seem to suggest that not all of his family lives in the Republic.
I think you got me wrong. Pietersen is a South African. You tell me if you lived and grew up in England for over 20 years moving to South Africa you suddenly will live the South African way, talk like them, have their humor or attitudes etc etc? No you won't and every time Pietersen opens his mouith and speak his mind you can hear or relate to the Saffer in it.

No one said a thing about Trott playing for England nor would South Africans give him flack about it because Trott did not open his mouth and said why he left ad what is wrong with the system in SA. But the fact he is he got educated in South Africa and went through our system and represented SA youth teams. I don't care if his brother is Prince Harry or he shagged the queen or his passport said GBR the fact is he grew up here and that makes him and always will make him a South African. Like a professional he just moved on to greener pastures. Its not WWII anymore and patriotism is a thing long gone in the professional world. Fans just don't realize that or they do realize it but just use it in terms of banter. Banter is what makes sport and the discussions around it so great and enjoyable. After all people from England are the best in it and they will most times take the pissout of their own team than what opposing fans would.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I did not call his mother a South African. I said nothing about his mother. But he was not raised "English". He is only English when he needs to be like Tony Greig

Spooony said:
Both his parents lives in South Africa
You'll find I probably agree with you about this more than most of this forum, but you can't use residency to support your argument, because then Kev's residency becomes a factor too. You opened the door.

Spooony

Banned

You'll find I probably agree with you about this more than most of this forum, but you can't use residency to support your argument, because then Kev's residency becomes a factor too. You opened the door.
And? Where does his parents live in England? I am not using residency to support any argument. I am saying he was brought up as a South African with a South African culture. He just plays cricket for England like Alan Lamb did but his loyalty is only for himself and not for his team. Put him on 98 with a no 11 batsman in a test with a 1 ball in the over left and he will run 2 runs getting a 100 leaving the 11 exposed

Last edited:

Spooony

Banned
Strange that you can get ones political views with seeing only a few word and not actually knowing the person. You know what they say about presumption....

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Strange that you can get ones political views with seeing only a few word and not actually knowing the person. You know what they say about presumption....
They're talking about Skippos; not you. Rvd has actually seen him post extensively about his political views.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, I'm talking about someone else :p

EDIT: Beaten by Cribb.