• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Most of the second string would've been uncapped wouldn't they? Outside of those in the squad or rested, who has been capped? Onions, Tremlett and Shahzad?

The issue with the ****ness of our bowling attack is there's no obvious alternative. There's nobody banging the door down begging to be picked ala Buttler with the bat.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
But even Briggs, Borthwick, Meaker, Woakes etc...have played ODI's.

I can't think of who the spinner would be. Kerrigan?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think people have a different definition of "second string" to you; the first string doesn't consist of 10 bowlers just because a heap are being rested/injured at the moment.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Most of the second string would've been uncapped wouldn't they? Outside of those in the squad or rested, who has been capped? Onions, Tremlett and Shahzad?
Yeah, they've all be capped. You'd be looking at a seriously badly attack if you were to just look at the uncaps.

Would probably look something like this

7. James Harris
8. Chris Wood
9. Toby Roland Jones
10. Simon Kerrigan
11, Matt Coles

I'm not sure someone like Mark Davies would go great against Dhoni and co in India....

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think people have a different definition of "second string" to you; the first string doesn't consist of 10 bowlers just because a heap are being rested/injured at the moment.
Indeed. My idea of second string would be the best available bowling attack, not consisting of the usual 5 bowlers. I.e. Finn, Anderson, Bresnan, Broad and Swann

Jarquis

Indeed. My idea of second string would be the best available bowling attack, not consisting of the usual 5 bowlers. I.e. Finn, Anderson, Bresnan, Broad and Swann
I agree with this definition. But then GF doesn't need to 'come up' with anything. It's the one playing in this game, basically.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
effectively going 11 RPO in 8 overs
And Dhoni kept bowling him for some reason when even Raina and then Dinda in the death were doing far better. :wallbash:

Seriously, not enough has been said in this thread and the analysis i am seeing on TV about what was one of the worst captaincy performances in a while from Dhoni.

Scaly piscine

Yeah, they've all be capped. You'd be looking at a seriously badly attack if you were to just look at the uncaps.

Would probably look something like this

7. James Harris
8. Chris Wood
9. Toby Roland Jones
10. Simon Kerrigan
11, Matt Coles

I'm not sure someone like Mark Davies would go great against Dhoni and co in India....
I reckon Topley would get in even though he has hardly played so far.

Napier would be an old pick.

Chris Rushworth is pretty much always the standout in 40-50 over stuff for Durham.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I agree with this definition. But then GF doesn't need to 'come up' with anything. It's the one playing in this game, basically.
Well no, because I'd have Finn and probably Bresnan in my first string.

But even a 3rd string attack will probably feature players who have been capped as well.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Broad and Swann are by far our best ODI bowlers, and the only reason Anderson and Panesar aren't playing is because this series wasn't deemed important by the powers that be. The fact that the squads for the NZ tour were selected before even the tour games started means that everyone playing knows their performance here has no impact on selection whatsoever.

You can't use who hasn't been capped in ODIs as a measure of depth because you end up scraping the barrel, because for the above reasons everyone worth talking about gets a limited overs game thrown at them sooner or later.

And besides you're all forgetting the mighty Rafiq.

Stapel

International Regular
Don't get me wrong, I think Tredwell is the right pick for MotM.

Yet, what really made the difference is Patel's 44 of 20. Obviously, it was a good batting track, but I didn't see this one coming (just like I didn't see Tredwell's bowling today ftr). IIRC he only got one lucky boundary.

Jarquis

Broad and Swann are by far our best ODI bowlers, and the only reason Anderson and Panesar aren't playing is because this series wasn't deemed important by the powers that be. The fact that the squads for the NZ tour were selected before even the tour games started means that everyone playing knows their performance here has no impact on selection whatsoever.

You can't use who hasn't been capped in ODIs as a measure of depth because you end up scraping the barrel, because for the above reasons everyone worth talking about gets a limited overs game thrown at them sooner or later.

And besides you're all forgetting the mighty Rafiq.
I'm not using it as a measure of depth. I'm using it as a talking point, if I want to know who has been capped I can go check on cricinfo. What I want to know, is who are the best one day bowlers we've got floating around the county circuit who haven't already tried.
People slag off Dernbach constantly. But for a series like this, where our front liners are being rested, who do people want to see ahead of him?
If Dernbach and Meaker aren't the ones to be calling up from domestic cricket because their records don't warrant it, then whose records do?

Jarquis

Well no, because I'd have Finn and probably Bresnan in my first string.

But even a 3rd string attack will probably feature players who have been capped as well.
Would rather get 10 from Samit and Root in these conditions than pick Bres.
Finn, Jimmeh, Broad, Swann + those two.

smash84

The Tiger King
And Dhoni kept bowling him for some reason when even Raina and then Dinda in the death were doing far better. :wallbash:

Seriously, not enough has been said in this thread and the analysis i am seeing on TV about what was one of the worst captaincy performances in a while from Dhoni.
wow.....itstl....couldn't have guessed

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm not using it as a measure of depth. I'm using it as a talking point, if I want to know who has been capped I can go check on cricinfo. What I want to know, is who are the best one day bowlers we've got floating around the county circuit who haven't already tried.
People slag off Dernbach constantly. But for a series like this, where our front liners are being rested, who do people want to see ahead of him?
If Dernbach and Meaker aren't the ones to be calling up from domestic cricket because their records don't warrant it, then whose records do?
It's not really a talking point though. Our ODI bowling depth is non-existant, and has been for years.