• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Chand falls in the 30's to Tredwell.

Dhawan if he carries on like this, is gonna force his way into the Indian team again though. Or Atleast become the first backup opener ahead of the 2 TN boys for the OD team.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
still the second best seamer in this current squad. shows the lack of depth of england odi and t20 bowling but he is definitely worth his place over Woakes or Meaker.

stumpski

International Captain
England being shown up by a rookie who's never made a 50 in one-day cricket. Should be a good finish here - 65 wanted off 9 overs - pity it's just occasional updates.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Milind Kumar and Rajat Bhatia have all but taken Delhi to a win here. They aren't great players either.

15 needed from 5 overs.

stumpski

International Captain
Eight wanted from two overs then, just been watching clips on Sky Sports News. Hardly anyone in the ground for this good contest; what noise there was seemed to be made mainly by England supporters.

theegyptian

Erm, no he's not.
it says it all when Woakes and Meaker are given 4 and 5 overs before the 40th overs and they're not even death bowlers. Both are real poor odi bowlers.

Bresnan you could debate about but you don't seem to want to do that. On current form though Bresnan is lucky to even get in this squad even with the dire replacement options.

Finn is the only clear better seamer in the squad.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Game over. Good win for Delhi.

Both teams got strategy wrong it seems, playing too many seamers.

theegyptian

Really worrying that Briggs hasn't played either warmup. With the scarcity of quality fast bowling options england have at their disposal he really needs to be seriously considered - but they obvioously don;t rate him particularly.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I hope this has no bearing on Woakesey's future test prospects. He's always been a **** **** LO bowler and an awesome FC one.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Whether he's second or third best in the squad is beside the point really, our OD quick bowling depth is atrocious. I'd back our first choice bowlers to do well pretty much anywhere but beyond that there is absolutely nothing. A line up of Patel/Bresnan, Broad, Swann, Finn, Anderson is pretty damn good, but then look at the rest of our options. The main reason we've done well recently is because we've kept a (close enough to) first choice attack in most of our last few series.

Edit: Or have at least got away with one or two passengers in the bowling, usually Jade.

Last edited:

theegyptian

Whether he's second or third best in the squad is beside the point really, our OD quick bowling depth is atrocious. I'd back our first choice bowlers to do well pretty much anywhere but beyond that there is absolutely nothing. A line up of Patel/Bresnan, Broad, Swann, Finn, Anderson is pretty damn good, but then look at the rest of our options. The main reason we've done well recently is because we've kept a (close enough to) first choice attack in most of our last few series.

Edit: Or have at least got away with one or two passengers in the bowling, usually Jade.
yes i think we have 3 good odi bowlers.

Finn, Broad and Swann

Then you have the ok list

Anderson, Bresnan, Dernbach, Tredwell

and then the rest

The ok list aren't particularly good. Anderson gets carted in Asia and goes to pieces bowling at the death. Bresnan is powder puff but is useful to the team given the lack of quality allround options. Dernbach is erratic. Tredwell is steady.

The rest are basically terrible. Meaker isn't even a regular in the surrey LO teams.

This is why if any young bowlers with potential had a good season next year in lo cricket I'd be throwing them into the squad straight away.

Someone like Chris Wood of Hampshire who bowls left arm, swings the ball and has good variations. He is not quick enough at the moment I think but if he can somehow move his speed from early 80's to mid 80's whilst not losing any of his other attributes is one possibility. He is also an ever improving batsmen

Reece Topley another left armer but very tall, bowls mid 80's and swings the ball into the right hander. Did well in the 20 over game this year.

Ajmal Shahzad could come back into the reckoning. He did well for England when he played and although he struggled in the first class game recently he has still been very useful in LO cricket. Decent pace and skiddy with decent variation

The problem is at the moment they're picking players who have never done well in LO cricket. Woakes and Meaker are very decent 4 day players - they are **** LO cricketers.

theegyptian

I'm not saying lets have a revolution and start again. I'm saying when you rest Broad from a series don't pick Meaker as a replacement pick a Chris Wood. Someone who has performed consistently in LO cricket and is suited to the game.

Pick a Chris Wright, Chris Wood, Reece Topley, Shahzad, Keith Barker, Toby Roland Jones, Moin Ashraf as a squad player rather than Woakes or Meaker. They are all at home in LO cricket and have good skills and a proven track record in the domestic game. Yes they might not be good enough but they all have skills that could be useful to the team.

The only skill Woakes adds to the team is the fact he can bat a bit. Meaker has decent pace but is by no means out and out quick- and is erratic.

Wright - pace and wickettaker. Wood - left arm variation, variation of delivery, improving bat. Topley - Left arm, tall, swings the ball Shahzad - history, pace, variation. Barker- left arm, swing. TRJ - very accurate, seam movement. Ashraf - yorkers

I'm simplifying it here but all of these guys have performed well in domestic cricket. Some aren't good enough at the moment, some will never be good enough but all of these have done well in domestic OD cricket and deserve a chance moreso than Meaker. Most important is they have skills that if improved could form a formidable attack. I don't see how Woakes ever makes a formidable attack. Meaker maybe but domestic cricket disagrees.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Dernbach is ****ing appalling. Isn't accurate, isn't quick and doesn't get any movement. Has one aspect to him that works - a well-disguised slower ball - and he ****s it up half the time and bowls wides. There isn't a statsguru option for wides, but I'd be willing to bet in two years of ODIs he's bowled far more wides than the likes of Broad have in a whole career.

He's not even comparable to Bres, who is having issues right now but has actually performed in the past, and has shown himself to be a versatile bowler with conventional new-ball swing and a good yorker, neither of which Dernbach has ever managed.

If I had to put him somewhere in a pecking order I'd put him around 10th, and even that is solely based on having some international experience, rather than being in any way ahead of a further dozen or so county bowlers.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, I agree with you totally Egyptian, would love a few genuinely fresh names, with a possible big future in the ODI game, but that's not how England work unfortunately, we use these matches as Testing grounds for Test players. Honestly WTF is Joe Root doing in the squad?