• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
it's interesting that Root seems to have bypassed everybody again to get into the ODI squad. England must obviously really rate him given he seems to have overtaken a few names to get in the ODI squad without outstanding OD domestic batting. Thought Hales who batted well in the T20's or Stokes who did well for the performance squad might get a go. But given Roots promotion here and the fact he is captain of the lions od tour to Aus means they must be looking at him for the next World Cup in Aus.

I don't really see where there is a space available in the top order particularly for someone like Root given there is already a logjam with Cook, Trott, Bell, KP in the top 3.

One would have thought with future intentions they'd be looking at possibly Hales at the top of the order to contrast Cook and Trott. Or Stokes in the middle order where positions are a bit more up in the air and there is a need for a powerful batting allrounder.

I'll be interested to know what England intentions are with Root here because I can't quite see what they're trying to do at present.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
"Family illness" the reason. Sounds bad, hope it's nothing connected to his dad's depressive illness. :mellow:

Tends to run in families and (IIRC) he has a couple of elder bros.
More likely this norovirus thing imo, not that I have any evidential basis for suggesting that

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
it's interesting that Root seems to have bypassed everybody again to get into the ODI squad. England must obviously really rate him given he seems to have overtaken a few names to get in the ODI squad without outstanding OD domestic batting. Thought Hales who batted well in the T20's or Stokes who did well for the performance squad might get a go. But given Roots promotion here and the fact he is captain of the lions od tour to Aus means they must be looking at him for the next World Cup in Aus.

I don't really see where there is a space available in the top order particularly for someone like Root given there is already a logjam with Cook, Trott, Bell, KP in the top 3.

One would have thought with future intentions they'd be looking at possibly Hales at the top of the order to contrast Cook and Trott. Or Stokes in the middle order where positions are a bit more up in the air and there is a need for a powerful batting allrounder.

I'll be interested to know what England intentions are with Root here because I can't quite see what they're trying to do at present.
Auditioning for Test cricket. Makes no sense otherwise.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Yeah, I'd have thought Hales would be a better pick too. I'd even think about Luke Wright again; much improved player in general over the last 18 months.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Third match of the Australian series shifted to Hyderabad from Kanpur after Australia complained about facilities there?

What is Rajeev Shukla serving ?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Bloody hell, SSN previewing the ODI series and we're really going round the arse end of India in the ODI series aren't we?

The venue for the 5th ODI sounds like some sort of food dish.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Dharamshala is probably the ground where the English team will probably want to go the most. Scenic location in the hills. All the players in the IPL loved it too, and particularly Gilchrist.

Mohali is one of the best grounds in the country with excellent facilities in Chandigarh.

The rest of the 3 locations aren't great, but the new Rajkot stadium looks good and this will be the first International match there.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Dharamshala is probably the ground where the English team will probably want to go the most. Scenic location in the hills. All the players in the IPL loved it too, and particularly Gilchrist.

Mohali is one of the best grounds in the country with excellent facilities in Chandigarh.

The rest of the 3 locations aren't great, but the new Rajkot stadium looks good and this will be the first International match there.
Couple of grass banks and that would be a lovely ground. It's too "stadium" like for my liking.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, probably grass banks would have been good, but it's got a wonderful Red Tibetan architecture which makes it different from normal grounds here.

And the stands aren't huge either so you can see the Hills from the Background.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
India A squad to face England on the 6th.

India A squad: Abhinav Mukund (capt), M Vijay, Robin Bist, Kedar Jadhav, Ashok Menaria, Rohit Motwani (wk), Jalaj Saxena, Akshay Darekar, Ishwar Pandey, Sreesanth, Rishi Dhawan, Paras Dogra, Mohit Sharma, Parvez Rassol

Some interesting selections there for a OD game. Guess the selectors were limited to only having players from teams knocked out of Ranji.

Rassol makes it from Jammu and Kashmir. Would be awesome if he gets to play.